I've just picked up a 198(?) Raleigh Technium 460 for $50 on Craigslist. I'm unhealthily in love with it (it's my first road bike). I've been riding it around constantly for a few weeks doing errands and recreational riding and I have questions:
1. The tires look original (they have Raleigh stamped on them) and the sidewalls are shredding. They're 1 1/8" width tires on 1 1/4" width, 27" rims (also original I think). Is there any issue with sticking with the narrower tires? Will I notice any difference if I go to 1 1/4"?
2. The brakes suck. They are Weinmann 550 side-pull calipers and have the original non-aero levers (and old cables/housing). I'm no bike mechanic but I cleaned and greased the calipers and adjusted the brakes pretty well. I put new cheapo pads on the front and that improved things a little bit but even if I lean back and really mash on the lever I can't get the front brake to lock up on dry pavement. I have to brake from the drops--trying to brake from anywhere else is ergonomically difficult and doesn't provide enough force. Is that normal? What's an economical upgrade path here? I'm likely doing KoolStop continental pads and new cables/housing, but since I'll have everything apart anyway is there any value in new levers (probably Cane Creek SCR-5)? I've read they have noticeably better mechanical advantage and allow some brake use from the hoods, but I've heard other people say aero levers actually make things worse on older calipers? I can't tell if this is serious advice or just folks being aesthetically offended by the lack of brake housing sticking up from their handlebars.
Thanks for the advice!