Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Old mountain bike brake boss problem

Started by Marty · · Last activity · 10 posts · 1,281 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 June 2004
Last activity
11 June 2004
Original author
Marty
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,281
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I'm in the process of converting my 1986 Raleigh Crested
    Butte mountain bike into a single speed. So far so good,
    until I received my new brakes in the mail today. I ordered
    Avid Single Digit 7 brakes and levers. When I went to
    install the brakes, I realized that my almost 20 year old
    frame and fork have bosses with the spring holes mounted to
    the outside! I think most MTB frames and forks have brake
    bosses with the spring holes to the inside. That's what my
    new brakes are expecting. Is there a solution for this
    problem out there? Is it possible to remove and switch the
    Avid springs to correct this? Is there a an adapter that
    would mount to the boss and provide a new spring hole in the
    correct position? Are there other new brakes on the market
    that allow you to mount with either type of brake boss?

    Thanks.
    --
    Marty

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Marty said:

    Hi,

    I'm in the process of converting my 1986 Raleigh Crested
    Butte mountain bike into a single speed. So far so good,
    until I received my new brakes in the mail today. I
    ordered Avid Single Digit 7 brakes and levers. When I went
    to install the brakes, I realized that my almost 20 year
    old frame and fork have bosses with the spring holes
    mounted to the outside! I think most MTB frames and forks
    have brake bosses with the spring holes to the inside.
    That's what my new brakes are expecting. Is there a
    solution for this problem out there? Is it possible to
    remove and switch the Avid springs to correct this? Is
    there a an adapter that would mount to the boss and
    provide a new spring hole in the correct position? Are
    there other new brakes on the market that allow you to
    mount with either type of brake boss?

    There are some that don't use the spring holes at all,
    such as the Dia Compe 986. These are obsolete but findable
    on eBay. They are light and inexpensive and easy to adjust
    but not very powerful compared to a Shimano cantilever,
    for example.

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Marty
    Hi,

    I'm in the process of converting my 1986 Raleigh Crested
    Butte mountain bike into a single speed. So far so good,
    until I received my new brakes in the mail today. I ordered
    Avid Single Digit 7 brakes and levers. When I went to
    install the brakes, I realized that my almost 20 year old
    frame and fork have bosses with the spring holes mounted to
    the outside! I think most MTB frames and forks have brake
    bosses with the spring holes to the inside. That's what my
    new brakes are expecting. Is there a solution for this
    problem out there? Is it possible to remove and switch the
    Avid springs to correct this? Is there a an adapter that
    would mount to the boss and provide a new spring hole in the
    correct position? Are there other new brakes on the market
    that allow you to mount with either type of brake boss?

    Thanks.
    --
    Marty

    Those are nice brakes.
    Do you know anyone who can braze some tabs on the inside for you?
    I have never tried modifying or flipping the springs around to allow for usage of the springs in the position you are talking about. I suppose if you were very clever with springs you could cut off 180 degrees ... or what ever it takes and bend a new part of the spring to properly engage the holes in the tab already have.
    You might write to or call AVIDBIKE for their suggestions.... and or see if you can get Sheldon Brown to make a suggestion.

  4. On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:47:49 GMT, daveornee

    may have said:

    ... I suppose if you were very clever with springs you
    could cut off 180 degrees ... or what ever it takes and
    bend a new part of the spring to properly engage the holes
    in the tab already have.

    This could ruin the spring; if the wire's hard enough, it
    will snap instead of bending. Some springs are hardened
    after they're shaped.

    Quoted message said:

    You might write to or call AVIDBIKE for their
    suggestions....

    Good advice.

    Quoted message said:

    and or see if you can get Sheldon Brown to make a
    suggestion.

    I believe that he's in Europe right now, with unpredictable
    and irregular Internet access.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via
    e-mail. Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature. Words
    processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  5. Marty said:

    Hi,

    I'm in the process of converting my 1986 Raleigh Crested
    Butte mountain bike into a single speed. So far so good,
    until I received my new brakes in the mail today. I
    ordered Avid Single Digit 7 brakes and levers. When I went
    to install the brakes, I realized that my almost 20 year
    old frame and fork have bosses with the spring holes
    mounted to the outside! I think most MTB frames and forks
    have brake bosses with the spring holes to the inside.
    That's what my new brakes are expecting. Is there a
    solution for this problem out there? Is it possible to
    remove and switch the Avid springs to correct this? Is
    there a an adapter that would mount to the boss and
    provide a new spring hole in the correct position? Are
    there other new brakes on the market that allow you to
    mount with either type of brake boss?

    Shimano tried to promulgate a different boss pattern for a
    year or two and you have the results. See if a local frame
    shop could add a spring stop plate to your boss so you can
    use some nice under-$20 normal cantilevers - or your
    expensive cantilevers.

    AFAIK there are no current models with 'outies'.

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  6. [email hidden] (Paul Southworth) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Marty

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I'm in the process of converting my 1986 Raleigh Crested
    Butte mountain bike into a single speed. So far so good,
    until I received my new brakes in the mail today. I
    ordered Avid Single Digit 7 brakes and levers. When I
    went to install the brakes, I realized that my almost 20
    year old frame and fork have bosses with the spring holes
    mounted to the outside! I think most MTB frames and forks
    have brake bosses with the spring holes to the inside.
    That's what my new brakes are expecting. Is there a
    solution for this problem out there? Is it possible to
    remove and switch the Avid springs to correct this? Is
    there a an adapter that would mount to the boss and
    provide a new spring hole in the correct position? Are
    there other new brakes on the market that allow you to
    mount with either type of brake boss?

    There are some that don't use the spring holes at all,
    such as the Dia Compe 986. These are obsolete but findable
    on eBay. They are light and inexpensive and easy to adjust
    but not very powerful compared to a Shimano cantilever,
    for example.

    The Paul cantilevers also bypass the spring hole. I'm
    not familiar with the Paul v-brakes, but perhaps those
    do as well.

  7. "Marty" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I'm in the process of converting my 1986 Raleigh Crested
    Butte mountain bike into a single speed. So far so good,
    until I received my new brakes in the mail today. I
    ordered Avid Single Digit 7 brakes and levers. When I went
    to install the brakes, I realized that my almost 20 year
    old frame and fork have bosses with the spring holes
    mounted to the outside! I think most MTB frames and forks
    have brake bosses with the spring holes to the inside.
    That's what my new brakes are expecting. Is there a
    solution for this problem out there? Is it possible to
    remove and switch the Avid springs to correct this? Is
    there a an adapter that would mount to the boss and
    provide a new spring hole in the correct position? Are
    there other new brakes on the market that allow you to
    mount with either type of brake boss?

    Thanks.
    --
    Marty

    Hey, that bike didn't come with Rollercams originally did
    it? U-brakes? (I don't recall any bikes with U-brakes on the
    front, but I could be having and "old timers moment..."😉

    If the bike came with either of these braking systems, that
    is what you're going to have to run. They've both got
    dedicated post mounting locations that aren't compatible
    with cantis.

    Oh, if it had Rollercams on it, he he he. Have fun!

    HTH,

    M

  8. SDMike said:

    Hey, that bike didn't come with Rollercams originally did
    it? U-brakes? (I don't recall any bikes with U-brakes on
    the front, but I could be having and "old timers
    moment..."😉

    I once had a fork with a U-brake. I recall that it was not
    possible to put cantis on that fork, but I don't remember
    why that was so.

    --
    Dave dvt at psu dot edu

  9. dvt said:

    I once had a fork with a U-brake. I recall that it was not
    possible to put cantis on that fork, but I don't remember
    why that was so.

    U-brake bosses were positioned above the rim, while canti/V-
    brake bosses were positioned below the rim.

    James Thomson

  10. "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Marty said:

    Hi,

    I'm in the process of converting my 1986 Raleigh Crested
    Butte mountain


    bike

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    into a single speed. So far so good, until I received my
    new brakes in


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    mail today. I ordered Avid Single Digit 7 brakes and
    levers. When I


    went

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to install the brakes, I realized that my almost 20 year
    old frame and


    fork

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have bosses with the spring holes mounted to the
    outside! I think most


    MTB

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    frames and forks have brake bosses with the spring holes
    to the inside. That's what my new brakes are expecting.
    Is there a solution for this problem out there? Is it
    possible to remove and switch the Avid springs


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    correct this? Is there a an adapter that would mount to
    the boss and provide a new spring hole in the correct
    position? Are there other new brakes on the market that
    allow you to mount with either type of brake


    boss?

    Quoted message said:

    Shimano tried to promulgate a different boss pattern for a
    year or two and you have the results. See if a local frame
    shop could add a spring stop plate to your boss so you can
    use some nice under-$20 normal cantilevers - or your
    expensive cantilevers.

    AFAIK there are no current models with 'outies'.

    Yup, they are Shimano canti brakes. I've decided to stick
    with them, they are actually pretty nice, once I got them
    all cleaned up. They are in good shape - just need some new
    brake pads.

    Thanks all for your input.

    Now, on to the next problem in a new thread...
    --
    Marty

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.