Old Peugot bike parts, plus pic

OKBIKECRUISER

Oct 24, 2004
I bought a really sweet 10 speed Peugeot bicycle a while back at a resale shop for $30. It was in near mint condition other than a missing headlight and tire rot. It is a great bike for my wife to cruise around our small town on, and with its' full fenders, OEM generator and lights (except for headlight), and book rack on the back she looks like she is heading down to a French bakery every time she heads down the street

My guess is the bike is about 20 - 30 years old as my internet research seems to indicate Peugot stopped marketing bikes in the US back in the 80's, but I can't seem to find the model number, all I found was a RY M4 stamped on the frame bottom. I'd like to replace the headlight with an OEM part. I have another one on it now, but I'd rather have an OEM.

Does anyone know how I could get some Peugeot parts? and how much this bike might be worth? I can't find anything on E-Bay. I wonder if it might a collector's item.

NOTE: I first posted this in the Cafe but got no response, so perhaps a reader here might help.

OKBIKECRUISER said:
I bought a really sweet 10 speed Peugeot bicycle a while back at a resale shop for $30. I was in near mint condition other than a missing headlight and tire rot. It is a great bike for my wife to cruise around our small town on, and with its' full fenders, OEM generator and lights (except for headlight), and book rack on the back she looks like she is heading down to a French bakery every time she heads down the street

My guess is the bike is about 20 - 30 years old as my internet research seems to indicate Peugot stopped marketing bikes in the US back in the 80's, but I can't seem to find the model number, all I found was a RY M4 stamped on the frame bottom. I'd like to replace the headlight with an OEM part.

Does anyone know how I could get some Peugeot parts? and how much this bike might be worth?

NOTE: I first posted this in the Cafe but got no response, so perhaps a reader here might help.
Try ebay.But,there are probably lots of others that will work.

OKBIKECRUISER said:
I bought a really sweet 10 speed Peugeot bicycle a while back at a resale shop for $30. It was in near mint condition other than a

You've seen Sheldon Brown's site for info on old French frames? Maybe the US version has different specs for certain pieces than the French version.

I just happened upon a Starnord randonnee bike in France (30€) and have gotten it back to good working condition after taking most apart and cleaning it. It's annoying with the different sizes and pricing premiums you'll pay to find these things and lack of compatibility you'll have with other bikes in your quiver.

It's difficult to tell from picture, but it looks like you have an old model UO-8 mixte. They sold new for about $100 in the 1970's.

I'm estimating it's worth about $100-$125 if in very good to excellent condition.

I don't recall ever seeing a UO-8 on showroom that was equipped with a generator/light set. My bet would be that it is an aftermarket accessory.