Old Vs New!?!?

MrHatten

Sep 4, 2004
hey guys, i was just about to buy a new road bike when i saw an add for a second hand one, which one do you think is better. Keeping in mind this will be my first bike.

A new Giant 2005 ocr 2 which is tiagra for about AUD$1300 which if i buy i can get fitted, and the guy said he can show me how to do all the maintenance work as well.

Or a 2003 tcr2, with upgraded wheels to shimano r550's, new r540 spd-sl pedals, and a new handbar because the guy was in a crash and the old one broke. He says the cassette and the chain and tyres were changed about a year ago, and says it is in good condition. Again about AUD$1300.

They are both really the same frame geometry, but the tcr2 has an aluxx sl frame so it will be a bit lighter, has better components, but used. Which one do you guys think i should go with?

I would definitely go with the new bike. If the used were of substantially greater quality at a much cheaper price, it would be a toss up. Since this is your first bike, new is the way to go. The reliability will be better, the shop personnel seem willing to help you get started, and you will have a nicer learning curve as you will ride more, maintain less. Good luck!