Oldie but a goody for discussing

Dave Pace

Aug 3, 2012
I was on my trainer today and noticed I hit the 500 mile mark since last lube on my cyclo computer. So I went to lube my chain. Well I was able to lube her up and everything is fine but I am almost out of lube. So I was willing to go out to buy some more lube, but then I started reading about Homebrew lube.

Curious I looked it up, it seems that there are a ton of "Homebrew" chain lubes that people are using out there. Of course everyone of them think that theirs is the best thing since cheesecake. but my question is this. Has anyone here used any of these "Homebrews"? if so what were your thoughts?

From my experience on other cycling forums, cyclists argue as much about chain lubes as they do about not wearing helmets. You'll get answers all over the spectrum. Some will swear by wet lubes, some by Teflon lubes, some by wax lubes, some by synthetics, and some by their own home brews.

I find that wet lubes and petroleum based homebrews attract too much dirt in the rural areas where I do almost all of my riding. I've relied on dry Teflon lubes, primarily, and now am about to try something called ceramic lube (sold by Finish Line) on my new chain.

There are other factors that affect chain wear, like excessive cross chaining, or badly adjusted derailleurs that cause the chain to rub on the derailleur guide. Poor maintenance probably causes more chain wear than using the "wrong" lube, too.

When I think of homebrews, I think, "Why bother?" Chain lube isn't that expensive, especially when compared to how long a bottle lasts. I've found ProLink Gold and Chain-L #5 to work well.

Originally Posted by alienator .

When I think of homebrews, I think, "Why bother?" Chain lube isn't that expensive, especially when compared to how long a bottle lasts. I've found ProLink Gold and Chain-L #5 to work well.
While I agree that it is cheap, I think the mentality is why buy something I already have.