UK and Europe · Public discussion

Olympic Cycling

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 49 posts · 1,399 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
18 August 2004
Last activity
20 August 2004
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
49
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,399
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 49
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Toby Douglass said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi I havent seen any cycling yet.
    when is it due to start ?

    You've missed the road races. Paolo Bettini won the mens. You could
    probably use Google to find when the track events start.

    Spoilers people, SPOILERS.

    Not all of us have watched the on-line coverage yet.

    Then you shouldn't be reading the thread in the first place. And how you
    managed to avoid this news is beyond me. Curiosity would have got the better
    of me by now, and I'd have watched the video.

  2. Zog The Undeniable <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<41238beb.0@entanet>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi I havent seen any cycling yet.
    when is it due to start ?

    who is the fastest cyclist in the world right now ?

    Greg Lemond won the fastest Tour de France time trial

    I thought that Sean Yates rode the fastest Tour TT [1]? And does Chris
    Boardman still hold the record for fastest prologue?

    David E. Belcher

    [1] Full-length TT stage as opposed to prologue, of course.

  3. Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    [pronounce van den Hoogenband]

    Quoted message said:

    I suspect I can.

    I've just started a "Learn Dutch" course. My pronunciation is facing
    problems, common to native English speakers, caused by letter sounds
    which just didn't (and sometimes still don't!) exist in my sounds
    inventory. And my 'g' still needs work, so I don't know if my attempt
    at "Hoe-(ch)eh-bunt" (or something like that, effectively impossible
    writing it phonetically in English because the sounds aren't there, of
    course, plus I'm probably mangling it anyway) is actually on track.
    I'll have the native check me later!

    Roos generally says I'm improving and am now at the point where most
    words sound wrong, but are at least recognisable. Unless it's got the
    "ui" sound in it, when I usually need several attempts.

    P: de town
    R: no, it's "tuin"
    P: de town
    R: no, you said "town"
    P: I can hear the difference, but I can't say it! De tehin?
    R: <laughs>
    etc.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. [email hidden] wrote:

    [Sam Whittingham]

    Quoted message said:

    which events is he going in ?

    Sam Whittingham is the fastest cyclist on the planet right now, with
    both flying 200m and hour records to his name. But since we're talking
    /fast/ here he uses bikes designed to go as fast as possible rather
    than to some baroque arbitrary specification, which means the UCI won't
    allow them. And in turn, you won't find them in the Olympics.

    There is the advantage to the UCI system that you get a race is between
    people, rather than engineers and people combined (all high end racing
    bikes are basically the same, unlike, say F1 cars), but for those of us
    who like to see engineering progress it does put cycle development in an
    annoying cul-de-sac.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Roos generally says I'm improving and am now at the point where most
    words sound wrong, but are at least recognisable. Unless it's got the
    "ui" sound in it, when I usually need several attempts.

    P: de town
    R: no, it's "tuin"
    P: de town
    R: no, you said "town"
    P: I can hear the difference, but I can't say it! De tehin?
    R: <laughs>
    etc.

    Stick your lips right out as if you want a kiss, and it'll sound more plausible.
    --
    Mark South, Super Genius: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  6. Toby Douglass said:

    Spoilers people, SPOILERS.

    I'm very sorry. I assumed that since it was a few days ago it was no
    longer spoiler-worthy news, but I promise to be more careful in future.

    d.

  7. David E. Belcher said:

    I thought that Sean Yates rode the fastest Tour TT [1]?

    AFAIK, Lemond took the record in 1989 on that famous final stage.

    And does Chris

    Quoted message said:

    Boardman still hold the record for fastest prologue?

    Yes, I believe so.

    d.

  8. Peter Clinch said:

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    [pronounce van den Hoogenband]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I suspect I can.

    Quoted message said:

    I've just started a "Learn Dutch" course. My pronunciation is facing
    problems, common to native English speakers, caused by letter sounds
    which just didn't (and sometimes still don't!) exist in my sounds
    inventory. And my 'g' still needs work, so I don't know if my attempt
    at "Hoe-(ch)eh-bunt" (or something like that, effectively impossible
    writing it phonetically in English because the sounds aren't there, of
    course, plus I'm probably mangling it anyway) is actually on track.
    I'll have the native check me later!

    ho as in hope
    oo as in open
    g as in loch
    en as in open
    ba as in bath
    nd as in end

    Stress on Hoo

    Roos

  9. Mark South said:

    Stick your lips right out as if you want a kiss, and it'll sound more plausible.

    I've tried that approach, including forcefully putting his face in the
    right shape. It got worse...
    What seemed to work is to approach it as a double sound tu-in.

    Roos

  10. Roos Eisma said:

    ho as in hope
    oo as in open
    g as in loch
    en as in open
    ba as in bath
    nd as in end

    Stress on Hoo

    Not actually as clear cut as that, as the above words are often
    pronounced completely differently by UK region. Comparing my SE England
    English to more northern typical, the "o" in open is much shorter and
    "wider", bath is "bahth" rather than straight "bath". And sometimes I
    use bath rather than bahth as I've spent time living with Yorkshire folk...

    And in the Dutch, wouldn't the "nd as in end" by a more clipped sound
    than in the English "end"?

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  11. Mark South said:

    Stick your lips right out as if you want a kiss, and it'll sound more plausible.

    Depending on the audience, they might be more appreciative anyway.

  12. "Roos Eisma" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ba as in bath

    Is that bath as pronounced sensibly in the south or bath as them strange
    northerners do it?

    The only pronunciation lesson you can get from bath is that the p is silent
    in it.

    :~}

  13. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi I havent seen any cycling yet.
    when is it due to start ?

    who is the fastest cyclist in the world right now ?

    Well you didn't specify on road or on the flat so..Christian Taillefer
    132mph on ice.

    http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index.asp?id=52629

    Steve.

  14. spademan o---) * said:

    Well you didn't specify on road or on the flat so..Christian Taillefer
    132mph on ice.

    Rompelberg 167 mph on salt.

  15. Tony W said:

    "Roos Eisma" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ba as in bath

    Quoted message said:

    Is that bath as pronounced sensibly in the south or bath as them strange
    northerners do it?

    As in how I pronounce it 😉
    I think we've reached the end of my English pronouncation skills here....

    Roos

  16. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    [pronounce van den Hoogenband]

    Quoted message said:

    I suspect I can.

    I've just started a "Learn Dutch" course. My pronunciation is facing
    problems, common to native English speakers, caused by letter sounds
    which just didn't (and sometimes still don't!) exist in my sounds
    inventory.

    I learned it by listening to Dutch radio. Try 747, 1008, 828, 1512 kHz MW.
    --
    Simon M.

  17. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Roos generally says I'm improving and am now at the point where most
    words sound wrong, but are at least recognisable. Unless it's got the
    "ui" sound in it, when I usually need several attempts.

    Try saying egg, onion and ice cream - one after the other ;-)

    --
    Simon M.

  18. in message <[email hidden]>, Ewoud Dronkert

    (') said:
    spademan o---) * said:

    Well you didn't specify on road or on the flat so..Christian
    Taillefer 132mph on ice.

    Rompelberg 167 mph on salt.

    Yup, but both assisted - Taillefer by gravity and Rompelberg by a
    dragster, so I don't think they count. It's still Whittingham for me.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Friends don't send friends HTML formatted emails.

  19. in message <[email hidden]>, Peter Clinch

    (') said:

    Roos generally says I'm improving and am now at the point where most
    words sound wrong, but are at least recognisable.  Unless it's got the
    "ui" sound in it, when I usually need several attempts.

    P: de town
    R: no, it's "tuin"
    P: de town
    R: no, you said "town"
    P: I can hear the difference, but I can't say it!  De tehin?
    R: <laughs>
    etc.

    Surely living in Dundee this can't be too hard. A Fife 'toon' is
    pronounced exactly that way.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.

  20. Roos Eisma <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    Peter Clinch <[email hidden]> writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    [pronounce van den Hoogenband]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I suspect I can.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've just started a "Learn Dutch" course. My pronunciation is facing
    problems, common to native English speakers, caused by letter sounds
    which just didn't (and sometimes still don't!) exist in my sounds
    inventory. And my 'g' still needs work, so I don't know if my attempt
    at "Hoe-(ch)eh-bunt" (or something like that, effectively impossible
    writing it phonetically in English because the sounds aren't there, of
    course, plus I'm probably mangling it anyway) is actually on track.
    I'll have the native check me later!

    Quoted message said:

    ho as in hope
    oo as in open
    g as in loch
    en as in open
    ba as in bath
    nd as in end

    Quoted message said:

    Stress on Hoo

    Quoted message said:

    Roos

    Which is how I would have done it, but also putting a second, lesser,
    stress on the 'ba'...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.