Olympic cycling

Tispectrum

Guest
According to today's NY Times, "The Summer Games will add men's and women's BMX event starting in
2008, and the International Cycling Union will cut two unspecified events....."

I guess 2 track events are gone.

tispectrum wrote:

> According to today's NY Times, "The Summer Games will add men's and women's BMX event starting
> in 2008,

and the International Cycling Union will cut two
> unspecified events....."
>
> I guess 2 track events are gone.

WHAT ? eliminate real cycling for carcass tossing kids in body armour? Que Lastima.. Que
Tristesa. :(

In article <[email protected]>, Fred Marx <[email protected]> wrote:

> tispectrum wrote:
>
> > According to today's NY Times, "The Summer Games will add men's and women's BMX event starting
> > in 2008,
>

> and the International Cycling Union will cut two
> > unspecified events....."
> >
> > I guess 2 track events are gone.
> >

> WHAT ? eliminate real cycling for carcass tossing kids in body armour? Que Lastima.. Que
> Tristesa. :(

It probably will be track events, which is too bad. I hope they don't cut the keirin or the madison!

tispectrum <[email protected]> wrote:
> According to today's NY Times, "The Summer Games will add men's and women's BMX event starting in
> 2008, and the International Cycling Union will cut two unspecified events....."

> I guess 2 track events are gone.

http://www.olympic.org/uk/news/olympic_news/full_story_uk.asp?id=142

"and the withdrawal of two events from the cycling track programme and their replacement by two
BMX events."

My guess would be Women's 500 amd Men's Kilo. Change at the IOC is driven by TV money and those
would be my picks as the most vulnerable from that standpoint.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

from: http://www.usoc.org/cfdocs/borg/newsTemplate.cfm?spID=13&newsID=2236

_____
BMX Cycling IOC adds youth-oriented event to the 2008 Olympic program

By Erica Bulman // Associated Press // July 1, 2003

PRAGUE, Czech Republic — Bike Moto Cross, otherwise known as BMX cycling, will be added to the
program for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. One women's and one men's BMX race will replace two track
cycling events, yet to be determined, in a bid to attract younger audiences.

IOC president Jacques Rogge called it a "new, spectacular event."

"We believe that this introduction will definitely enhance the Olympic program," he said.

The two new races won't increase the number of events or athletes in Beijing, Rogge said.

Rogge said the International Cycling Union was studying which two events in the current program were
the least popular and would be replaced by BMX.

Racing on small stunt bikes, four BMX riders start together and negotiate a jumps-and-bumps obstacle
course, built on dirt in the center of the velodrome track.

An elimination process will see the fastest in each heat advancing to the next round. The heats are
expected to take less than a minute each.

The introduction of BMX is an attempt to attract the interest of a younger generation, much like the
addition of snowboarding in 1998 and freestyle skiing in the early '90s.

Two sports, triathlon and taekwondo, were added for the Sydney Olympics in 2000, but there is
increasing pressure to cut rather than add sports.

Since his election as IOC president in 2001, Rogge has been pushing to contain spending and
"gigantism" in the Olympics.

-- Copyright © 2003 United States Olympic Committee All Rights Reserved

In article <[email protected]>, "tispectrum" <[email protected]> writes:

>According to today's NY Times, "The Summer Games will add men's and women's BMX event starting in
>2008, and the International Cycling Union will cut two unspecified events....."
>
>I guess 2 track events are gone.

| Ken B Hart @ aol.com |

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote

> My guess would be Women's 500 amd Men's Kilo. Change at the IOC is driven by TV money and those
> would be my picks as the most vulnerable from that standpoint.

APPALLING. And I'm not even a track fan.

Reminds me of the rules for beach volleyball where the dresscode is set minimalisticly for the sake
of couched chick-gazers.

Bart wrote:
> "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote
>

>>My guess would be Women's 500 amd Men's Kilo. Change at the IOC is driven by TV money and those
>>would be my picks as the most vulnerable from that standpoint.
>

> APPALLING. And I'm not even a track fan.
>

> Reminds me of the rules for beach volleyball where the dresscode is set minimalisticly for the
> sake of couched chick-gazers.

I hope you're not opposed to beach volleyball per se. It's a legitimate variation on the other
volleyball. I don't know how I feel about skimpy uniform requirements.

I'd like to see the men's km kept for tradition's sake at least.

> "We believe that this introduction will definitely enhance the Olympic program," he said.
>
> The two new races won't increase the number of events or athletes in Beijing, Rogge said.
>
> Rogge said the International Cycling Union was studying which two events in the current program
> were the least popular and would be replaced by BMX.
>
> round. The heats are expected to take less than a minute each.

. to cut rather than add sportssing .

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> tispectrum <[email protected]> wrote:
> > According to today's NY Times, "The Summer Games will add men's and women's BMX event starting
> > in 2008, and the International Cycling Union will cut two unspecified events....."
>
> > I guess 2 track events are gone.
>
> http://www.olympic.org/uk/news/olympic_news/full_story_uk.asp?id=142
>
> "and the withdrawal of two events from the cycling track programme and their replacement by two
> BMX events."
>
> My guess would be Women's 500 amd Men's Kilo. Change at the IOC is driven by TV money and those
> would be my picks as the most vulnerable from that standpoint.
>
> Bob Schwartz [email protected]

One for sure will be the team pursuit as there are typically only 4 or 5 teams, They have threatened
it at the world level, The kilo will stay. Fans like it, it doesn't take long, and is well
represented. Women's 500TT maybe Dave

"Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (KenBHart) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > from:

http://www.usoc.org/cfdocs/borg/newsTemplate.cfm?spID=13&newsID=2236

> > _____
> > BMX Cycling IOC adds youth-oriented event to the 2008 Olympic program
> >

> Maybe if they try hard, the IOC can make the Olympics just like the
X-Games.

X-Games = ratings

ratings = $$$$$

$$$$$$ = the driving force behind the IOC

and that's the way it's been for some time now.

Ronaldo Jeremiah wrote:
> Maybe if they try hard, the IOC can make the Olympics just like the X-Games.
>
> -RJ

As long as they keep chess and golf out. BMX requires athleticism: strenght and/or endurance as
well as skill.

The number of events seems less important than the number of athletes. The goal has been to keep the
# of athletes at 10,000 total. So there needs to be a 1:1 trade off.

In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ronaldo Jeremiah wrote:
> > Maybe if they try hard, the IOC can make the Olympics just like the X-Games.
> >
> > -RJ
>
> As long as they keep chess and golf out. BMX requires athleticism: strenght and/or endurance as
> well as skill.

Tiger looks alot more fit than any luger or dowhill skier.

-WG

Greg Henderson started in BMX and got a silver in the points race in Sydney Olympics. BMX would be
to Summer Olympics what snowboarding is to Winter. Cool.

Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ronaldo Jeremiah wrote:
> > Maybe if they try hard, the IOC can make the Olympics just like the X-Games.
> >
> > -RJ
>
> As long as they keep chess and golf out. BMX requires athleticism: strenght and/or endurance as
> well as skill.
>
> --

They should put both of those in, and get rid of nonsense like beach volleyball and snowboarding.

-RJ

Sam <[email protected]> wrote:
> The number of events seems less important than the number of athletes. The goal has been to keep
> the # of athletes at 10,000 total. So there needs to be a 1:1 trade off.

That would point in favor of keeping the 500 since that is really just a way of awarding double
medals to the sprint winners. Whacking the TP and Kilo would reduce the number of athletes, and
would increase the gender balance.

They could just do what they did in 96 which was to add events but hold the numbers constant. That
forces teams to leave also ran athletes home in events where they are not competitive. If they
resolved to do that they could just cut the two events with the worst TV ratings without regard to
the number of athletes reduced.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]