Olympic Sprint Final

Steve McGinty

Guest
The winner came from the back in all 3 matches...

Regards!
Stephen

In article <[email protected]>, Steve McGinty
<[email protected]> wrote:

> The winner came from the back in all 3 matches...

That is often the best tactic for that event, although at the NorCal
Districts this year the second rider on a woman's team did not pull off
at the end of her lap and tried to lead her teammate around all the way
to the finish.

-WG

warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<240820041725332340%[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, Steve McGinty
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The winner came from the back in all 3 matches...

> That is often the best tactic for that event, although at the NorCal
> Districts this year the second rider on a woman's team did not pull off
> at the end of her lap and tried to lead her teammate around all the way
> to the finish.
>
> -WG

I think Steve meant the match sprint in the Olympics, not the event
formerly known as the Olympic sprint.

-RJ

In article <[email protected]>, Ronaldo
Jeremiah <[email protected]> wrote:

> warren <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<240820041725332340%[email protected]>...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Steve McGinty
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > The winner came from the back in all 3 matches...

> > That is often the best tactic for that event, although at the NorCal
> > Districts this year the second rider on a woman's team did not pull off
> > at the end of her lap and tried to lead her teammate around all the way
> > to the finish.
> >
> > -WG

> I think Steve meant the match sprint in the Olympics, not the event
> formerly known as the Olympic sprint.

Oh, I thought he was being funny.

Oh well then, the winner did not come from the back in all three
matches in the individual match sprint.

-WG

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:59:25 GMT, warren <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> > -WG

>> I think Steve meant the match sprint in the Olympics, not the event
>> formerly known as the Olympic sprint.

>Oh, I thought he was being funny.
>
>Oh well then, the winner did not come from the back in all three
>matches in the individual match sprint.
>
>-WG

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...hp?id=men_sprint_final/BosBayleywin2OG804-015

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...?id=men_sprint_final/BayleybikethrowOG804-066

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/olympics04/index.php?id=men_sprint_final/BayleywinOG804-080

Regards!
Stephen

"Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:59:25 GMT, warren <[email protected]>
> wrote:

> >> I think Steve meant the match sprint in the Olympics, not the event
> >> formerly known as the Olympic sprint.

> >Oh, I thought he was being funny.
> >
> >Oh well then, the winner did not come from the back in all three
> >matches in the individual match sprint.
> >
> >-WG

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...hp?id=men_sprint_final/BosBayleywin2OG804-015

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...?id=men_sprint_final/BayleybikethrowOG804-066

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/olympics04/index.php?id=men_sprint_final/BayleywinOG804-080

> Regards!
> Stephen

I guess you missed the other thread. In the gold medal men's match the
winners came from behind in all three rides even though the Dutch guy
obviously preferred going from the front (his tactics showed this clearly).
In the bronze medal men's match the German came from the front in the second
ride. In the gold medal women's match the winner came from the front in the
second ride.

So, in two of the three matches a ride winner came from the front in at
least one ride and in the third match one rider tried to win from the front
as his preferred tactic.

-WG

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:35:14 GMT, "Warren" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:59:25 GMT, warren <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> >Oh, I thought he was being funny.
>> >
>> >Oh well then, the winner did not come from the back in all three
>> >matches in the individual match sprint.
>> >
>> >-WG

>http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...hp?id=men_sprint_final/BosBayleywin2OG804-015
>>

>http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...?id=men_sprint_final/BayleybikethrowOG804-066
>>

>http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/olympics04/index.php?id=men_sprint_final/BayleywinOG804-080
>>
>> Regards!
>> Stephen

>I guess you missed the other thread. In the gold medal men's match the
>winners came from behind in all three rides even though the Dutch guy
>obviously preferred going from the front (his tactics showed this clearly).
>In the bronze medal men's match the German came from the front in the second
>ride. In the gold medal women's match the winner came from the front in the
>second ride.
>
>So, in two of the three matches a ride winner came from the front in at
>least one ride and in the third match one rider tried to win from the front
>as his preferred tactic.
>
>-WG

You're right I missed that thread, Warren. Seen it now so realise
where the confusion came in.

I commented on the "winner coming from behind" in the men's final as
I don't actually recall that happening in many (if any?) of the
earlier 2-up rounds.

Regards!
Stephen