Olympic Sprint Final

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve McGinty, Aug 24, 2004.

  1. The winner came from the back in all 3 matches...

    Regards!
    Stephen

    Tags:

  2. warren

    warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Steve McGinty
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The winner came from the back in all 3 matches...

    That is often the best tactic for that event, although at the NorCal
    Districts this year the second rider on a woman's team did not pull off
    at the end of her lap and tried to lead her teammate around all the way
    to the finish.

    -WG

  3. warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<240820041725332340%[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Steve McGinty
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > The winner came from the back in all 3 matches...

    > That is often the best tactic for that event, although at the NorCal
    > Districts this year the second rider on a woman's team did not pull off
    > at the end of her lap and tried to lead her teammate around all the way
    > to the finish.
    >
    > -WG

    I think Steve meant the match sprint in the Olympics, not the event
    formerly known as the Olympic sprint.

    -RJ

  4. warren

    warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Ronaldo
    Jeremiah <[email protected]> wrote:

    > warren <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<240820041725332340%[email protected]>...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Steve McGinty
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > The winner came from the back in all 3 matches...

    > > That is often the best tactic for that event, although at the NorCal
    > > Districts this year the second rider on a woman's team did not pull off
    > > at the end of her lap and tried to lead her teammate around all the way
    > > to the finish.
    > >
    > > -WG

    > I think Steve meant the match sprint in the Olympics, not the event
    > formerly known as the Olympic sprint.

    Oh, I thought he was being funny.

    Oh well then, the winner did not come from the back in all three
    matches in the individual match sprint.

    -WG

  5. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:59:25 GMT, warren <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> > -WG

    >> I think Steve meant the match sprint in the Olympics, not the event
    >> formerly known as the Olympic sprint.

    >Oh, I thought he was being funny.
    >
    >Oh well then, the winner did not come from the back in all three
    >matches in the individual match sprint.
    >
    >-WG

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...hp?id=men_sprint_final/BosBayleywin2OG804-015

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...?id=men_sprint_final/BayleybikethrowOG804-066

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/olympics04/index.php?id=men_sprint_final/BayleywinOG804-080

    Regards!
    Stephen

  6. Warren

    Warren Guest

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:59:25 GMT, warren <[email protected]>
    > wrote:

    > >> I think Steve meant the match sprint in the Olympics, not the event
    > >> formerly known as the Olympic sprint.

    > >Oh, I thought he was being funny.
    > >
    > >Oh well then, the winner did not come from the back in all three
    > >matches in the individual match sprint.
    > >
    > >-WG

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...hp?id=men_sprint_final/BosBayleywin2OG804-015

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...?id=men_sprint_final/BayleybikethrowOG804-066

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/olympics04/index.php?id=men_sprint_final/BayleywinOG804-080

    > Regards!
    > Stephen

    I guess you missed the other thread. In the gold medal men's match the
    winners came from behind in all three rides even though the Dutch guy
    obviously preferred going from the front (his tactics showed this clearly).
    In the bronze medal men's match the German came from the front in the second
    ride. In the gold medal women's match the winner came from the front in the
    second ride.

    So, in two of the three matches a ride winner came from the front in at
    least one ride and in the third match one rider tried to win from the front
    as his preferred tactic.

    -WG

  7. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:35:14 GMT, "Warren" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:59:25 GMT, warren <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:

    >> >Oh, I thought he was being funny.
    >> >
    >> >Oh well then, the winner did not come from the back in all three
    >> >matches in the individual match sprint.
    >> >
    >> >-WG

    >http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...hp?id=men_sprint_final/BosBayleywin2OG804-015
    >>

    >http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...?id=men_sprint_final/BayleybikethrowOG804-066
    >>

    >http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/olympics04/index.php?id=men_sprint_final/BayleywinOG804-080
    >>
    >> Regards!
    >> Stephen

    >I guess you missed the other thread. In the gold medal men's match the
    >winners came from behind in all three rides even though the Dutch guy
    >obviously preferred going from the front (his tactics showed this clearly).
    >In the bronze medal men's match the German came from the front in the second
    >ride. In the gold medal women's match the winner came from the front in the
    >second ride.
    >
    >So, in two of the three matches a ride winner came from the front in at
    >least one ride and in the third match one rider tried to win from the front
    >as his preferred tactic.
    >
    >-WG

    You're right I missed that thread, Warren. Seen it now so realise
    where the confusion came in.

    I commented on the "winner coming from behind" in the men's final as
    I don't actually recall that happening in many (if any?) of the
    earlier 2-up rounds.

    Regards!
    Stephen