on finding a quality rear bicycle rack... out of ideas and need your advice

alexb

Guest
Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a quality rack for my bicycle and unfortunately,
have been unsuccessful. I would like to find a rack capable of
carrying @60kg(135lbs), in other words, capable of carrying another
passenger if they were seated on this rack. The racks I've been able
to inspect in the United States stores don't seem to support the
amount of load I wish to carry. Can anyone recommend a rack that can
help me out? The thought of waiting until I return back to The
Netherlands to purchase one has me down.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

alexb wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been looking for a quality rack for my bicycle and unfortunately,
> have been unsuccessful. I would like to find a rack capable of
> carrying @60kg(135lbs), in other words, capable of carrying another
> passenger if they were seated on this rack. The racks I've been able
> to inspect in the United States stores don't seem to support the
> amount of load I wish to carry. Can anyone recommend a rack that can
> help me out? The thought of waiting until I return back to The
> Netherlands to purchase one has me down.

Bruce Gordon http://www.bgcycles.com
Tubus http://www.wallbike.com carries them.
Old Man Mountain http://www.oldmanmountain.com

Those seem to be the prefered racks used by the touring crowd. Oh,
let's not forget the chromo racks that Rivendell sells. I can just
never seem to stop drooling on the bike pictures however. :)
http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/

Of all the racks, I don't think any of them are rated for more than
100lbs however. Good luck on your search.

--
Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71

alexb wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been looking for a quality rack for my bicycle and unfortunately,
> have been unsuccessful. I would like to find a rack capable of
> carrying @60kg(135lbs), in other words, capable of carrying another
> passenger if they were seated on this rack. The racks I've been able
> to inspect in the United States stores don't seem to support the
> amount of load I wish to carry. Can anyone recommend a rack that can
> help me out? The thought of waiting until I return back to The
> Netherlands to purchase one has me down.

The inexpensive but elegant Wald 215BL should do it nicely.
Run bolts through your frame ends from the inside out and
use nylock nuts on the outside. (Ensure the right side bolt
head doesn't interfere with your chain in high gear)

http://www.lexcobike.com/adrrack.htm

It's also available chrome plated.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Widely available tubular aluminium Axiom radonneur rear racks claim to be
rated for 70kg.

On 2 Oct 2004 20:14:53 -0700, [email protected] (alexb) wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I've been looking for a quality rack for my bicycle and unfortunately,
>have been unsuccessful. I would like to find a rack capable of
>carrying @60kg(135lbs), in other words, capable of carrying another
>passenger if they were seated on this rack. The racks I've been able
>to inspect in the United States stores don't seem to support the
>amount of load I wish to carry. Can anyone recommend a rack that can
>help me out? The thought of waiting until I return back to The
>Netherlands to purchase one has me down.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Alex

The typical mounting holes on the frame might not support that kind of
weight because of the shock loads from potholes etc. I had an
aluminum bolt shear off carrying 70 pounds. The tubular racks are the
strongest.