General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

One day walk Machynlleth ideas?

Started by Al · · Last activity · 15 posts · 348 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 December 2004
Last activity
6 December 2004
Original author
Al
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
348
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi

    I am working in Wales, lodging in Machynlleth. I am going to have one day to
    do a walk. When I was working in Scotland I climbed schiehallion, so Snowdon
    appeals, is there any suggestions for parking and best route up, looking at
    OS there seem to be a few choices or are there any better more interesting
    walks/climbs (not climbing in the true sense) that anyone can suggest for
    my one day.

    Cheers Al

  2. "Al" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi

    I am working in Wales, lodging in Machynlleth. I am going to have one day
    to do a walk. When I was working in Scotland I climbed schiehallion, so
    Snowdon appeals, is there any suggestions for parking and best route up,
    looking at OS there seem to be a few choices or are there any better more
    interesting walks/climbs (not climbing in the true sense) that anyone can
    suggest for my one day.

    Cheers Al


    I was down near Machynlleth in summer 2003 and did Snowdon as my "day off"
    from the family. It's a bit of a drive, especially at this time of year. I
    went up on the East side, from Rhyd-Dhu and descending towards Yr Aran.
    Getting there very early meant that I was on top before the first train.
    Once that arrives, the place rather goes downhill :-)

    If anything, it was a bit of disappointment and on reflection, a route on
    Cadair Idris would have been a better option.

    druidh

  3. The two local 2000'ers..

    Tarren Hendre and Tarren y Gesail.

    Very enjoyable with good sea views and on your doorstep.

    Or if wet , head south for some of the waterfalls...

    Richard Webb

  4. "RJ Webb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The two local 2000'ers..

    Tarren Hendre and Tarren y Gesail.

    Very enjoyable with good sea views and on your doorstep.

    Or if wet , head south for some of the waterfalls...

    Richard Webb

    Looks interesting on 3D view, I do like to upload a route to GPS and follow
    referring to map for interest only. However am prepared to wing it the old
    fashioned way, which way would you recommend approaching from, the
    alternative tech centre perhaps? giving the sea views on approach.

    Al

  5. "druidh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Al" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi

    I am working in Wales, lodging in Machynlleth. I am going to have one day
    to do a walk. When I was working in Scotland I climbed schiehallion, so
    Snowdon appeals, is there any suggestions for parking and best route up,
    looking at OS there seem to be a few choices or are there any better more
    interesting walks/climbs (not climbing in the true sense) that anyone
    can suggest for my one day.

    Cheers Al


    I was down near Machynlleth in summer 2003 and did Snowdon as my "day off"
    from the family. It's a bit of a drive, especially at this time of year. I
    went up on the East side, from Rhyd-Dhu and descending towards Yr Aran.
    Getting there very early meant that I was on top before the first train.
    Once that arrives, the place rather goes downhill :-)

    If anything, it was a bit of disappointment and on reflection, a route on
    Cadair Idris would have been a better option.

    druidh


    I like the look of this in 3D, looks interesting with the craggy bits and
    should be good views to the Barmouth bay. As I'm driving all over mid wales
    during the week somethimg close would be better.

    Al

  6. Al said:


    "RJ Webb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The two local 2000'ers..

    Tarren Hendre and Tarren y Gesail.

    Very enjoyable with good sea views and on your doorstep.

    Or if wet , head south for some of the waterfalls...

    Richard Webb

    Looks interesting on 3D view, I do like to upload a route to GPS and follow
    referring to map for interest only. However am prepared to wing it the old
    fashioned way, which way would you recommend approaching from, the
    alternative tech centre perhaps? giving the sea views on approach.

    Watch out for forestry...

    I went up from the south,, Not got any maps of Wales with me now.. a
    quick look at Streetmap shows a bike trail going up from near Bron
    y-aur to just before Gesail. I remember taht to be quite pleasant.
    Depends on where the trees are felled now. Approaches from north and
    east can be complicated. I descended once to Corris thanks only to a
    cut passage made by sphagnum collectors.

    Richard Webb

  7. Quoted message said:

    I am working in Wales, lodging in Machynlleth. I am going to have one day


    to

    Quoted message said:

    do a walk. When I was working in Scotland I climbed schiehallion, so


    Snowdon

    Quoted message said:

    appeals, is there any suggestions for parking and best route up, looking


    at

    Quoted message said:

    OS there seem to be a few choices or are there any better more interesting
    walks/climbs (not climbing in the true sense) that anyone can suggest for
    my one day.

    Was staying at Tyn-y-cornel for a week at the end of Aug, a couple of miles
    inland from Llanegryn. Did four walks in the region, and on the only sunny
    day Clare and I did a clockwise circuit of Cadair Idris from Minffordd at
    the north-eastern end of Tal-y-Llyn. Take a look at my website (Wales link)
    for photos and brief route descriptions.

    --
    sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

    'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
    brings the same excitement'

  8. Have done these two tops starting from the North at Abergynolwyn, avery
    pleasant day.
    However Cadair Idris starting from the car park near the Minfordd Hotel is
    likely to be more memorable especially if you have time to do the ridge East
    and return via the old road down Cwm Rhwyddfor.

    Gerald

    "sandy saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am working in Wales, lodging in Machynlleth. I am going to have one


    day

    Quoted message said:

    to

    Quoted message said:

    do a walk. When I was working in Scotland I climbed schiehallion, so


    Snowdon

    Quoted message said:

    appeals, is there any suggestions for parking and best route up, looking


    at

    Quoted message said:

    OS there seem to be a few choices or are there any better more


    interesting

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    walks/climbs (not climbing in the true sense) that anyone can suggest


    for

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    my one day.

    Was staying at Tyn-y-cornel for a week at the end of Aug, a couple of


    miles

    Quoted message said:

    inland from Llanegryn. Did four walks in the region, and on the only


    sunny

    Quoted message said:

    day Clare and I did a clockwise circuit of Cadair Idris from Minffordd at
    the north-eastern end of Tal-y-Llyn. Take a look at my website (Wales


    link)

    Quoted message said:

    for photos and brief route descriptions.

    --
    sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

    'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
    brings the same excitement'

  9. Al said:

    Hi

    I am working in Wales, lodging in Machynlleth. I am going to have one day to
    do a walk. When I was working in Scotland I climbed schiehallion, so Snowdon
    appeals, is there any suggestions for parking and best route up, looking at
    OS there seem to be a few choices or are there any better more interesting
    walks/climbs (not climbing in the true sense) that anyone can suggest for
    my one day.

    Cheers Al


    OK so what type of Walk do you Want?? Sea Views / forestry / hills.
    There have been many new cycle tracks cut in Dyfi this year so if the
    cloud is down and Cadair / Rhinogs / Snowdon are cloud bound then any
    route in Dyfi can be put together The cycle shop in the High st has good
    route maps!

    Ttfn Jane who lives nr Corris!!

  10. "Janej55uk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    OK so what type of Walk do you Want?? Sea Views / forestry / hills. There
    have been many new cycle tracks cut in Dyfi this year so if the cloud is
    down and Cadair / Rhinogs / Snowdon are cloud bound then any route in Dyfi
    can be put together The cycle shop in the High st has good route maps!

    Ttfn Jane who lives nr Corris!!

    You are ideally placed then. Primarily I want/need hills as I come from
    Norfolk, Sea views would be a bonus, forestry a drag unless theres some true
    deciduous bits which would be pleasant if the sun is out. Any day route
    suggestions would be welcome. The idea of picking up info in the bike shop
    is good I know the one you mean, It's always shut when I'm there, damn this
    work thing, it truly is an infringment on civil liberty and the curse of the
    drinking class.

    Al who lives near Norwich

  11. Al said:

    You are ideally placed then. Primarily I want/need hills as I come from
    Norfolk, Sea views would be a bonus, forestry a drag unless theres some true
    deciduous bits which would be pleasant if the sun is out. Any day route
    suggestions would be welcome. The idea of picking up info in the bike shop
    is good I know the one you mean, It's always shut when I'm there, damn this
    work thing, it truly is an infringment on civil liberty and the curse of the
    drinking class.

    Al who lives near Norwich


    when are you here? where are you staying? If you have time for a short
    walk then the Foel Friog trail Aberllefenni is good, to extend this
    there is a new bridge over the stream at the far end (when you come back
    down the hill turn right) follow the path over new bridge then into the
    woods and right up to bridle way up the hill and out onto the rup you
    can loop back into the forestry making your way back to Aberllefenni.

    have fun
    ttfn
    Jane
    ps you can go to the walking part of our web site for idears!!
    http://www.tamaris.org.uk/other/hiking/hikeframes.htm

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]

    (Idris) said:

    Have done these two tops starting from the North at Abergynolwyn, avery
    pleasant day.
    However Cadair Idris starting from the car park near the Minfordd Hotel
    is
    likely to be more memorable especially if you have time to do the ridge
    East
    and return via the old road down Cwm Rhwyddfor.


    Couldn't agee to this one more if you are looking for a short drive. I was
    up there on the snowy friday we had a couple of weeks back clear views and
    mist in the valleys all around.

    I'm off into England with Work til friday but If you email me I will try
    and dig out a gps trackmaker log of the route I covered.

    Alternative would be to head further north and spend a day in the Arans
    off the parking at the end of the minor road north of Dinas Mawddwy.

    As another option if the weather is mixed and then improves take the minor
    road to the east headed for Dylife and pak in the nature reserve and climb
    Foel Fadian (not to be recommended if an icy morning as final pitch on
    road is prone to severe icing)

    PEte

    Quoted message said:


    Gerald

    "sandy saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am working in Wales, lodging in Machynlleth. I am going to have
    one


    day

    Quoted message said:

    to

    Quoted message said:

    do a walk. When I was working in Scotland I climbed schiehallion, so


    Snowdon

    Quoted message said:

    appeals, is there any suggestions for parking and best route up,
    looking


    at

    Quoted message said:

    OS there seem to be a few choices or are there any better more


    interesting

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    walks/climbs (not climbing in the true sense) that anyone can
    suggest


    for

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    my one day.

    Was staying at Tyn-y-cornel for a week at the end of Aug, a couple of


    miles

    Quoted message said:

    inland from Llanegryn. Did four walks in the region, and on the only


    sunny

    Quoted message said:

    day Clare and I did a clockwise circuit of Cadair Idris from
    Minffordd at
    the north-eastern end of Tal-y-Llyn. Take a look at my website (Wales


    link)

    Quoted message said:

    for photos and brief route descriptions.

    --
    sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

    'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
    brings the same excitement'

  13. I'm leaving for Wales shortly if I get a chance I'll mail during the week
    maybe tommorrow.

    Thanks Al
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]

    (Idris) said:

    Have done these two tops starting from the North at Abergynolwyn, avery
    pleasant day.
    However Cadair Idris starting from the car park near the Minfordd Hotel
    is
    likely to be more memorable especially if you have time to do the ridge
    East
    and return via the old road down Cwm Rhwyddfor.


    Couldn't agee to this one more if you are looking for a short drive. I was
    up there on the snowy friday we had a couple of weeks back clear views and
    mist in the valleys all around.

    I'm off into England with Work til friday but If you email me I will try
    and dig out a gps trackmaker log of the route I covered.

    Alternative would be to head further north and spend a day in the Arans
    off the parking at the end of the minor road north of Dinas Mawddwy.

    As another option if the weather is mixed and then improves take the minor
    road to the east headed for Dylife and pak in the nature reserve and climb
    Foel Fadian (not to be recommended if an icy morning as final pitch on
    road is prone to severe icing)

    PEte

    Quoted message said:


    Gerald

    "sandy saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    > I am working in Wales, lodging in Machynlleth. I am going to have
    > one


    day

    Quoted message said:

    to
    > do a walk. When I was working in Scotland I climbed schiehallion, so
    Snowdon
    > appeals, is there any suggestions for parking and best route up,
    > looking
    at
    > OS there seem to be a few choices or are there any better more


    interesting

    Quoted message said:

    > walks/climbs (not climbing in the true sense) that anyone can
    > suggest


    for

    Quoted message said:

    > my one day.

    Was staying at Tyn-y-cornel for a week at the end of Aug, a couple of


    miles

    Quoted message said:

    inland from Llanegryn. Did four walks in the region, and on the only


    sunny

    Quoted message said:

    day Clare and I did a clockwise circuit of Cadair Idris from
    Minffordd at
    the north-eastern end of Tal-y-Llyn. Take a look at my website (Wales


    link)

    Quoted message said:

    for photos and brief route descriptions.

    --
    sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

    'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
    brings the same excitement'

  14. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    I am working in Wales, lodging in Machynlleth.


    Slightly off topic, but if you're based in Mach, don't forget
    to spend plenty of time at CAT.
    --
    I try to be a good example to my children, but they just see
    me as a dire warning.

  15. If you want to meet up for a walk I would be up for it. I live in that area
    (Aberystwyth) but know the area around Mach very well as my dad lived in
    Abergynolwyn for many years and I still have relatives up there. I virtually
    grew up mucking around near Cadair.

    There is a great walk up Aran Fawddwy about 30 mins from Mach, it's a
    stunner and no where near as busy as Cadair Idris.

    Mach is a lovely town, very Bohemian for a small town. Make sure you stay
    and eat at the CAT cafe. It's brilliant.

    Rich--
    Wales and Borders 15th Century Living History Society
    www.15thcentury.co.uk

    "Fran" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    I am working in Wales, lodging in Machynlleth.


    Slightly off topic, but if you're based in Mach, don't forget
    to spend plenty of time at CAT.
    --
    I try to be a good example to my children, but they just see
    me as a dire warning.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.