Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

One frame for both XC and Marathon?

Started by yeroc602 · · Last activity · 8 posts · 49 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
23 September 2026
Last activity
27 September 2026
Original author
yeroc602
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
49
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Pinarello released XCR, XCT, and XC Series models, using a shared frame platform but different configurations. The XCR and XCT both use M40J carbon frames, but the XCT features a wider cockpit and different tyres to target marathon and downcountry riding.

    Coming from a trail background, I know that small changes to a cockpit or tyre choice can shift how a bike feels on a descent. However, the core geometry remains the same across these two builds. Can adjusting the suspension, cockpit, and tyres on a single XC frame effectively bridge the gap between short-course racing and marathon riding?

  2. Yes, to a point. Tyres and cockpit are the easy levers: faster rubber and a lower position for short-course racing, more volume and a bit more rise when the marathon gets rough. Suspension tuning can change support and comfort, but damping clicks won’t turn a 100mm setup into the XCT’s 120mm package. I’d set the bike up for the roughest long race you actually ride, then make the lighter swaps for short-course days. One frame can cover both; it just won’t be two purpose-built bikes at once.

  3. I’d pick the setup by course, not race distance. A short course can be rougher than a marathon, so the longest event isn’t automatically the one that needs the more forgiving setup. Keep sag and rebound suited to the terrain, then use tyres and cockpit as the easier race-day swaps. Travel and frame geometry still set the limits on how different that bike can feel.

  4. I’d let the course decide suspension, but distance can still steer the cockpit and tyre choices. For a long day, I might take more tyre volume and a less aggressive reach for comfort, even if the terrain is similar. That’s not a reason to soften sag or slow rebound; those need to suit the rider, load and sequence of hits.

  5. For the same course, I’d look at tyre pressure and casing before changing reach. A shorter stem isn’t a free comfort knob; it changes the steering feel too. More tyre volume makes sense if it lets you run a pressure that takes the sting out without the tyre feeling vague.

  6. I’d keep the stem fixed once the fit is right. On rough XC I want the wide-bar, short-stem leverage; a stem swap changes the steering, so I’d chase comfort with casing and pressure instead.

  7. Casing and pressure can take the sting out, but they won’t change how much you’re reaching or loading your hands. I’d keep the stem fixed if the fit is right; a marathon-only shorter stem is treating fit as a race-day setting.

  8. jarrah said:

    they won’t change how much you’re reaching or loading your hands.

    Reach, absolutely. But “loading my hands” is too broad: casing and pressure won’t shorten the cockpit or change static weight distribution, but they can take the edge off impacts and vibration through the bars. That can matter on a long rough course without making a too-long fit right.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.