one last Campagnolo parts question...

i've been looking hi and low for some medium reach brake calipers.

i know about Shimano's BR-B600 but this is for a new bike
(custom...Pacenti lugs and all)....and it's a chance for me to get some
Campagnolo stuff....

Does Campagnolo make a NICE (not bargain bin or low end...at least
Chorus level) caliper brake that's got enough room for a 37mm wide
tire?

i've looked on eBay but the sellers usually don't mention information
like that. from what i've seen....most of the older brakes look like
they have more reach than modern road calipers. of course...some of
these brakes are of questionable age, quality, and condition.

eBay is not out of the question, but if it's the best option....i'd
like some models of Campagnolo medium reach brakes to look out for,
along with how to tell them apart.

i don't want to fit a fender in there with the tire...i just want more
room so i can use a variety of tire widths.

it's going to end up a track/cyclocross/road/single speed bike amalgam.
and while i COULD use cantis...they just don't look as nice (the
pointy arms seem to botch the look of a fine lugged bike) as a set of
road calipers.

the close runner-up is a set of Paul Racer brakes. although, i'm not
sure i'm fond of the look of the wire and straddle on a center pull
brake.

[email protected] wrote:

> i've been looking hi and low for some medium reach brake calipers.
>
> i know about Shimano's BR-B600 but this is for a new bike
> (custom...Pacenti lugs and all)....and it's a chance for me to get some
> Campagnolo stuff....
>
> Does Campagnolo make a NICE (not bargain bin or low end...at least
> Chorus level) caliper brake that's got enough room for a 37mm wide
> tire?
>
> i've looked on eBay but the sellers usually don't mention information
> like that. from what i've seen....most of the older brakes look like
> they have more reach than modern road calipers. of course...some of
> these brakes are of questionable age, quality, and condition.
>
> eBay is not out of the question, but if it's the best option....i'd
> like some models of Campagnolo medium reach brakes to look out for,
> along with how to tell them apart.
>
> i don't want to fit a fender in there with the tire...i just want more
> room so i can use a variety of tire widths.
>
> it's going to end up a track/cyclocross/road/single speed bike amalgam.
> and while i COULD use cantis...they just don't look as nice (the
> pointy arms seem to botch the look of a fine lugged bike) as a set of
> road calipers.
>
> the close runner-up is a set of Paul Racer brakes. although, i'm not
> sure i'm fond of the look of the wire and straddle on a center pull
> brake.

Did you try the tire under your present brake? Are you
saying the tire does not touch in the center (i.e., the
length is appropriate) but it does touch on the sides (the
shape of the arms are the problem) ???

If your tire hits the caliper in the center you don't have a
brake problem. Your frame isn't suitable to this tire.

Campagnolo's present calipers are 450, the new 'normal'.
There are several vintage Campagnolo 500 calipers , made
between 1968 and about 1987. Record, New Gran Sport,
Victory, Triomphe. Other major brake makers offered both
sizes then as well. Modern current 500 choices exist too,
mostly dual pivot.

We used to call 450 'short' and 500 'standard' but the norm
has shifted. Sheldon discusses this well.

If you haven't finalized the brake clearances of your new
frame, ask the builder to design for a 500 caliper and get
either a classic sidepull or a modern DP as you prefer.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

i don't have a tire, brakes or frame....yet.....

i just want to be sure things will fit....

also, what do the 450 and 500 numbers designate?

On 27 Nov 2005 14:37:03 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>i've been looking hi and low for some medium reach brake calipers.
>
>i know about Shimano's BR-B600 but this is for a new bike
>(custom...Pacenti lugs and all)....and it's a chance for me to get some
>Campagnolo stuff....
>
>Does Campagnolo make a NICE (not bargain bin or low end...at least
>Chorus level) caliper brake that's got enough room for a 37mm wide
>tire?

I have Shimano "long reach" dual pivots. When I use the quick release
on the brake arch and the release on the Campy brake lever, I can get
700x35 tires in on my tandem. If you chose not to use Campy Ergo,
both Tektro and Cane Creek make brake levers that copy the Campy
release design.

[email protected] wrote in news:1133199096.502758.210350
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> i don't have a tire, brakes or frame....yet.....
>
> i just want to be sure things will fit....
>
> also, what do the 450 and 500 numbers designate?

Those numbers roughly correspond to 10x mm of reach. If the frame hasn't
been built, tell the builder what tires you want to run and he or she can
build in clearances for that. If you want tires that wide, Standard (long)
reach brakes will be a necessity.

(Kogswell has a sweet-looking frame with Pacenti lugs and lots of tire
clearance, and a pretty reasonable price)

Campy hasn't made standard (long) reach brakes for a long time, and you
don't often see them on ebay. My '75 Peugeot has all 9-speed era Veloce
except for the BB (Phil Wood, 'cause that's the easiest way to put a new
Campy crank on a French-threaded bike) and the brake calipers. I got some
Tektro 521AGs and they didn't look out of place once I used a Dremel with a
felt wheel to polish off the Tektro logo.

-HW

[email protected] wrote:
> i don't have a tire, brakes or frame....yet.....
> i just want to be sure things will fit....
> also, what do the 450 and 500 numbers designate?

Nominal distance from brake center bolt to rim.
There's a reference chart here:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/mbs.html

note that not all those are currently made and that brands
vary slightly, as shown in photos on that page.