Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

One Last Try For The Howlers...

Started by The Nelson Para · · Last activity · 10 posts · 488 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
27 March 2004
Last activity
30 March 2004
Original author
The Nelson Para
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
488
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. ...otherwise known as XT V-brakes. Carla graciously sent me
    these a while back and I soon found out why.

    I tried them on my Ground Control. I tried them on my
    Prodigy. I even tried them on my wife's hybrid.

    The Squeal. I mean they freakin howl! I yanked them off and
    stuck some Avids/ Deores/ LXs (respectively) on those bikes
    (the LX brakes are very similar but don't howl.)

    Tomorrow I'll start converting my new Raleigh Retroglide 7
    to full XT, including these brakes one last time (never
    tried them on my old cruiser since it was canti only in the
    front and caliper only in the back.)

    If they howl again, I'm going to bury them in my back yard
    as an offering to the bike gods.

    Unless somebody else wants em!

    Peace on Dirt.

    ---
    __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest,
    just details. The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
    intergalax.comintergalax.com

    "Aha! Advancing on me only brings you closer to the cold
    wrath that is my spork!" - Bucky the Katt Checked by AVG anti-
    virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com). Version: 6.0.637 /
    Virus Database: 408 - Release Date: 3/20/2004

  2. The Nelson Paradigm said:

    ...otherwise known as XT V-brakes. Carla graciously sent
    me these a while back and I soon found out why.

    I tried them on my Ground Control. I tried them on my
    Prodigy. I even tried them on my wife's hybrid.

    The Squeal. I mean they freakin howl! I yanked them off
    and stuck some Avids/ Deores/ LXs (respectively) on those
    bikes (the LX brakes are very similar but don't howl.)

    Tomorrow I'll start converting my new Raleigh Retroglide 7
    to full XT, including these brakes one last time (never
    tried them on my old cruiser since it was canti only in
    the front and caliper only in the back.)

    If they howl again, I'm going to bury them in my back yard
    as an offering to the bike gods.

    Unless somebody else wants em!

    Peace on Dirt.

    ---

    Reverse toe them. It's the only way I have ever gotten them
    to shut up.

    miles

  3. In "]news:[email hidden],
    The Nelson Paradigm <[email hidden]> scribbled:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ...otherwise known as XT V-brakes. Carla graciously sent
    me these a while back and I soon found out why.

    Have you:

    -made sure each side is contacting the rim evenly, at the
    same time, at the same angle; -tried a different compound
    pad (I generally find the Shimano (v-brake) and Hayes
    (disk) brand pads tend to squeal a little more that off-
    brands); -using appropriate brake pads for the weather and
    terrain; -disassembled, cleaned, reassembled all parts
    involved in holding it to the frame (all contact points);
    -the rubber band trick (tie the brake arms to the seat stay
    with a piece of rubber band or old tube... this helps keep
    it nice and tight, suppressing vibration which often is a
    cause for howling)

    ??

    --

    FlyingCoyote

    --

  4. Quoted message said:

    If they howl again, I'm going to bury them in my back yard
    as an offering


    to

    Quoted message said:

    the bike gods.

    Let's repeat:

    KOOLSTOP ALL THE FREAKIN WAY! If they're cartridge pads,
    then the switch will be easy and relatively cheap.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. In "]news:[email hidden],
    ZeeExSixAre <[email hidden]> scribbled:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If they howl again, I'm going to bury them in my back
    yard as an offering to the bike gods.

    Let's repeat:

    KOOLSTOP ALL THE FREAKIN WAY! If they're cartridge pads,
    then the switch will be easy and relatively cheap.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Yep!!! I use Koolstop both for the Hayes disks as well as
    v-brakes. (The red compound.)

    --

    FlyingCoyote

    --

  6. "miles todd" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    |
    |
    | The Nelson Paradigm wrote:
    | > ...otherwise known as XT V-brakes. Carla graciously sent
    | > me these a
    while
    | > back and I soon found out why.
    | >
    | > I tried them on my Ground Control. I tried them on my
    | > Prodigy. I even tried them on my wife's hybrid.
    | >
    | > The Squeal. I mean they freakin howl! I yanked them off
    | > and stuck some Avids/ Deores/ LXs (respectively) on
    | > those bikes (the LX brakes are very similar but don't
    | > howl.)
    | >
    | > Tomorrow I'll start converting my new Raleigh Retroglide
    | > 7 to full XT, including these brakes one last time
    | > (never tried them on my old cruiser since it was canti
    | > only in the front and caliper only in the back.)
    | >
    | > If they howl again, I'm going to bury them in my back
    | > yard as an
    offering to
    | > the bike gods.
    | >
    | > Unless somebody else wants em!
    | >
    | > Peace on Dirt.
    | >
    | >
    | > ---
    |
    | Reverse toe them. It's the only way I have ever gotten
    | them to shut up.

    Now *that* is the one thing I haven't tried. I'll give it a
    go.

    ---
    __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest,
    just details. The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
    intergalax.comintergalax.com

    "Aha! Advancing on me only brings you closer to the cold
    wrath that is my spork!" - Bucky the Katt Checked by AVG anti-
    virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com). Version: 6.0.637 /
    Virus Database: 408 - Release Date: 3/20/2004

  7. "FlyingCoyote" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    | In "]news:[email hidden], The
    | Nelson Paradigm <[email hidden]> scribbled:
    | >> ...otherwise known as XT V-brakes. Carla graciously
    | >> sent me these a while back and I soon found out why.
    | >>
    |
    | Have you:
    |
    | -made sure each side is contacting the rim evenly, at the
    | same time, at
    the
    | same angle;

    Tried that. Tried exagerating the toe in. No dice.

    | -tried a different compound pad (I generally find the
    | Shimano (v-brake)
    and
    | Hayes (disk) brand pads tend to squeal a little more that
    | off-brands);

    Tried Kool-Stops, Ritchey carts, Aztecs, XTR Ceramics and
    J&B el-cheapos. No dice.

    | -using appropriate brake pads for the weather and terrain;

    Considering I've tried them on everything but my full
    mountain bike, normal use pads are in order. I like my rims
    too much to use WTB pads.

    | -disassembled, cleaned, reassembled all parts involved in
    | holding it to
    the
    | frame (all contact points);

    I'm the dude who cleans his bike with toothbrushes and q-
    tips.

    | -the rubber band trick (tie the brake arms to the seat
    | stay with a piece
    of
    | rubber band or old tube... this helps keep it nice and
    | tight, suppressing vibration which often is a cause for
    | howling)

    Haven't done that, but if that's what it takes to make these
    things work, they're gonna be offerings.

    ---
    __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest,
    just details. The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
    intergalax.comintergalax.com

    "Aha! Advancing on me only brings you closer to the cold
    wrath that is my spork!" - Bucky the Katt Checked by AVG anti-
    virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com). Version: 6.0.637 /
    Virus Database: 408 - Release Date: 3/20/2004

  8. "ZeeExSixAre" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    | > If they howl again, I'm going to bury them in my back
    | > yard as an
    offering
    | to
    | > the bike gods.
    |
    | Let's repeat:
    |
    | KOOLSTOP ALL THE FREAKIN WAY! If they're cartridge pads,
    | then the switch will be easy and relatively cheap.

    No luck there.

    At my size, Kool-Stop thin-lines last about a week.

    ---
    __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest,
    just details. The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
    intergalax.comintergalax.com

    "Aha! Advancing on me only brings you closer to the cold
    wrath that is my spork!" - Bucky the Katt Checked by AVG anti-
    virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com). Version: 6.0.637 /
    Virus Database: 408 - Release Date: 3/20/2004

  9. Clean pads ,rims and toe them.

    I MTB 2004

  10. "The Nelson Paradigm" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ...otherwise known as XT V-brakes. Carla graciously sent
    me these a while back and I soon found out why.

    I tried them on my Ground Control. I tried them on my
    Prodigy. I even tried them on my wife's hybrid.

    The Squeal. I mean they freakin howl! I yanked them off
    and stuck some Avids/ Deores/ LXs (respectively) on those
    bikes (the LX brakes are very similar but don't howl.)

    Tomorrow I'll start converting my new Raleigh Retroglide 7
    to full XT, including these brakes one last time (never
    tried them on my old cruiser since it was canti only in
    the front and caliper only in the back.)

    If they howl again, I'm going to bury them in my back yard
    as an offering


    to

    Quoted message said:

    the bike gods.

    Unless somebody else wants em!

    Peace on Dirt.

    Dude, those brakes squeal yaknow.

    Shaun aRe - disassemble fully and grease, but with rubber
    cement./ That'll stop 'em squealing.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.