General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Onion Soup

Started by ~patches~ · · Last activity · 42 posts · 637 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 March 2006
Last activity
22 March 2006
Original author
~patches~
Posts
42
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
637
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–42 of 42
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Nancy Young said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Jude" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Cheese is only a problem if you're vegan. I'm not. But I don't eat
    meat, nor do I use beef or chicken products for stock. Makes life hard
    - do you KNOW how many places have what-looks-veg soup on their menus,
    like broccoli cheese or cream of mushroom, that are actually made with
    meat stock? Ya'd think that getting cream of <insert veg here> soup
    from a restaurant would be safe. Nope, it ain't!

    Not if you've ever made your own, yes, they usually start with
    chicken broth.

    Actually, mine usually(always) start with veg broth. But since I cook,
    I know to ask. My point is simply that most folks who don't eat meat
    might look at a menu and see the soups listed: beef barley, chicken
    noodle, cream of broccoli, and figure there's one they can eat. I like
    menus that denote veg items, or note in the fine print that the soups
    are made with chicken base. Not everyone who eats knows how to cook.
    (see Food Snob thread.)

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Swanson's makes a decent veggie broth in the can......


    Overall, I like the flavor from the Knorr's cubes, and it's nice to
    have a box of 6 cubes in the pantry. Goes a long way, whereas a
    half-dozen cans of broth cost more and take up more space. I prefer to
    use my homemade, but I use stock a lot - not only for soups but also
    for cooking rice, pasta, etc. I wonder if Swanso's is lower sodium than
    the Knorr, though? That definitely bothers me.

    Quoted message said:

    I was wondering if the beefy onion soup was made with broth
    made from mushrooms, perhaps? Portabellas? That has a
    nice beefy flavor.


    Quite possible. I use portabellos a lot when I want that dark, rich
    flavor. I also enhance with worcestershire (yes i know about the
    anchovies, we'll discuss that in another thread) and tamari sauce. A
    little red wine helps, too. All I nkow is that it's nice to have an
    option for convenient and delicious soup that I don't have to make
    myslef!

  2. On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:41:13 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, "Doug Kanter"
    <[email hidden]> hit the crackpipe and declared:

    Quoted message said:

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ~patches~ <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and
    posted
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    We are having a late dinner tonight. I decided to make a batch of onion
    soup this afternoon. The soup is finished and the bread for on top has
    been grilled. This is a rich full bodied soup packed full of flavour.
    I grill the bread because it gives a nicer result than toasting. I'll
    put the soup into oven proof bowls, top with the grilled bread and
    cheese then cook in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and lightly
    browned. I'm not sure what kind of salad I'll serve along with the soup
    but right now caesar salad sounds good.

    Sounds wonderful. I'm making Salisbury Steaks, mashed, gravy and peas. One
    of Steven's favorites.

    Michael <- knows Steven is working long hours today

    I'm going to Wendy's. I've totally emptied the freezer of all leftovers and
    raw materials. All I have here are dry roasted peanuts, Triscuits, three
    cans of Campbell's Select soups, eggs, cranberry juice, milk, kosher dill
    pickles, and three kinds of cheese.

    So?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.