Quoted message said:Quoted message said:#1: It's somewhat arrogant to assume that a flat-bar bike exists only for
a bike path.
Go to:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/index.php
I picked that bike from here:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/category.php?c=4
So please direct complaints to Trek 🙂.
And wouldn't you know it, I have, often times, had conversations with the
marketing department about the dangers of pigeon-holing customers into
certain types of bikes and/or riding.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:#2: Discovery trains on heavier, 32-spoke wheels. Called the "Classic",
it's quite a bit heavier, and quite a bit less aero. But they like
training on them because they race wheels then feel so much faster. Guess
it's like runners training with ankle weights. Come race time, the
heavier wheels go away and the reduced-spoke-count wheels are used when
it matters.
The aerodynamics are more strongly affected by rim profile than by
spoke-count,
from calculations I've seen. Not that a 2% or whatever difference in wind
drag
matters much on the bike path, or in metric centuries. In each case
durability
is by far the #1 consideration for wheels. I know, I know, Rolfs or
Bontrager
paired spoke wheels are quite durable. Still, the practices of the pro
teams
suggests conventional 32-36 spoke wheels are better.
It would be very difficult to do a reasonably-good job of optimizing a 1500
gram wheel and a 1900 gram version, and not have the 1900 gram wheel being
stronger. I suppose, if it were entirely for the purpose of training on
something heavier, they could provide optional weights to hang on the
spokes, but in terms of durability, if a set of wheels that weighs 3/4 pound
more than another isn't stronger, something would seem quite wrong.
Rim profile is a major contributor to aerodynamics, but not just height. The
pros (at least those on Discovery) generally ride on cross-sections wider
than what's sold to the general public. The wider cross section adds weight,
provides negligible improvement in strength, but significant improvements in
aerodynamics because it more-closely matches the width of the tire.
--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
"Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m> wrote in message
news:461AD81E.8020907@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m...
Quoted message said:Mike Jacoubowsky said:Quoted message said:No self-respecting metric century rider would be caught with these
things:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/probikes/ballan_wilier07/BallanBike001.jpg
In contrast, here's a bike built ready for the bike path:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/images/bikes_my07/large/79fx_nudecarbon.jpg
All joking aside, I have two serious comments-
#1: It's somewhat arrogant to assume that a flat-bar bike exists only for
a bike path.
Go to:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/index.php
I picked that bike from here:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/category.php?c=4
So please direct complaints to Trek 🙂.
Quoted message said:
#2: Discovery trains on heavier, 32-spoke wheels. Called the "Classic",
it's quite a bit heavier, and quite a bit less aero. But they like
training on them because they race wheels then feel so much faster. Guess
it's like runners training with ankle weights. Come race time, the
heavier wheels go away and the reduced-spoke-count wheels are used when
it matters.
The aerodynamics are more strongly affected by rim profile than by
spoke-count,
from calculations I've seen. Not that a 2% or whatever difference in wind
drag
matters much on the bike path, or in metric centuries. In each case
durability
is by far the #1 consideration for wheels. I know, I know, Rolfs or
Bontrager
paired spoke wheels are quite durable. Still, the practices of the pro
teams
suggests conventional 32-36 spoke wheels are better.
Dan