General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Opinion Poll: Potato Soup

Started by Andy · · Last activity · 15 posts · 184 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 September 2007
Last activity
3 September 2007
Original author
Andy
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
184
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Potato soup has gotten a lot of press lately on r.f.c.

    I'm going to make Victor's potato soup recipe today, the Bramborová Polévka
    version.

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through a food
    mill?

    This is my first ever homemade batch.

    Andy

  2. "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Potato soup has gotten a lot of press lately on r.f.c.

    I'm going to make Victor's potato soup recipe today, the Bramborová
    Polévka
    version.

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through a
    food
    mill?

    This is my first ever homemade batch.

    I'm have a bowl for breakfast right now! Made on Friday and it still tastes
    great. I have a little bit left and might use the stick blender for the
    remainder - just for something different. I would never freeze it chunky.
    IMO potatoes are horrible frozen - in anything! e.

  3. "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Potato soup has gotten a lot of press lately on r.f.c.

    I'm going to make Victor's potato soup recipe today, the Bramborová
    Polévka
    version.

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through a
    food
    mill?

    This is my first ever homemade batch.

    Andy

    I reserve about the a third of it - chunks and all. Then puree the
    remainder and add the reserved third back in.

    The best of both worlds.

    MJB

  4. Andy said:

    Potato soup has gotten a lot of press lately on r.f.c.

    I'm going to make Victor's potato soup recipe today, the Bramborová
    Polévka version.

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through
    a food mill?

    This is my first ever homemade batch.

    Andy

    Depends on the recipe (I already told you this, Andy). My grandmother's
    recipe doesn't call for pureeing. It's a nice chunky soup. My potato-leek
    soup does. Grandma didn't use leeks. I make both so it just depends.

    Jill

  5. Andy <q> wrote in news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through
    a food mill?

    Yes

    I puree it and also leave some chunks in it...nice to have your cake and
    eat it too kinda thinking.

    --

    The house of the burning beet-Alan

    It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
    Elbonian Folklore

  6. Andy said:


    Potato soup has gotten a lot of press lately on r.f.c.

    I'm going to make Victor's potato soup recipe today, the Bramborová Polévka
    version.

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through a food
    mill?

    This is my first ever homemade batch.

    Andy

    The few times I make potato soup it's from my father's version
    (modified) so it must be chunky.

    His version required beef shin meat. Since I don't eat beef pork gets
    used instead.

    A broth is made from the meat, then chunked-up vegs are added: carrots,
    celery, parsnips etc. Then the chunked-up potatoes are added; use a sort
    that stays whole in liquid.
    Just before serving fry some thinly-sliced onions until light brown and
    add to the soup along with some minced parsley.

    Here is a Polish recipe from: The Art of Polish Cooking

    1 1/2 lbs potatoes peeled sliced
    1 carrot sliced
    1 parsley root sliced
    7 cups beef broth
    1/4 pound bacon sliced
    1 onion sliced
    1 tbs instant flour
    salt to taste
    1 1/2 tbs chopped green parsley

    Cook the potatoes, carrot and parsley root in boiling broth for 30
    minutes.
    Fry the bacon with the onions until golden. Add to the soup with half of
    the drippings.
    Add the flour to the rest of the drippings. Fry until golden, dilute
    with soup liquid. Add to the kettle, bring to the boil. Season with
    salt, add green parsley.

    Note the resemblance between recipes LOL! No surprise as my father was
    Polish.

  7. Andy said:

    Potato soup has gotten a lot of press lately on r.f.c.

    I'm going to make Victor's potato soup recipe today, the Bramborová Polévka
    version.

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through a food
    mill?

    This is my first ever homemade batch.

    Andy

    After the soup is cooked, I will use a stick blender for a couple of
    minutes, right in the pot. Then, stir the soup, see how it looks, blend
    more if needed.

    Becca

  8. Andy said:


    Potato soup has gotten a lot of press lately on r.f.c.

    I'm going to make Victor's potato soup recipe today, the Bramborová Polévka
    version.

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through afood
    mill?

    This is my first ever homemade batch.

    Andy

    Andy, I believe the "ultimate kitchen rule" applies to this very dilemma
    😉 I believe it's all a matter of preference - yours! Do take photos
    please <g>.

    Sky, who's gonna grill a marathon,
    marathon a grill,
    mrilling a garathon -
    something like that
    today

    --
    Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
    Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

  9. Andy q said:

    Potato soup has gotten a lot of press lately on r.f.c.

    I'm going to make Victor's potato soup recipe today, the Bramborová Polévka
    version.

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through a food
    mill?

    This is my first ever homemade batch.


    I do both - sorta. No pureeing for me. I cook a some until they fall
    apart and thicken the soup and I hold back some for the required
    chunkiness.

    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.

  10. Andy q said:

    Potato soup has gotten a lot of press lately on r.f.c.

    I'm going to make Victor's potato soup recipe today, the Bramborová Polévka
    version.

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through a food
    mill?

    This is my first ever homemade batch.

    Chunky, chunky, chunky. Unless I'm gonna have extensive dental work,
    like getting all my teeth pulled.

    Carol

  11. Damsel in dis Dress said:
    Andy q said:

    Potato soup has gotten a lot of press lately on r.f.c.

    I'm going to make Victor's potato soup recipe today, the Bramborová Polévka
    version.

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through a food
    mill?

    This is my first ever homemade batch.

    Chunky, chunky, chunky. Unless I'm gonna have extensive dental work,
    like getting all my teeth pulled.


    Yeah - but cooked potatoes, especially those in soup, are very easy to
    gum. 😉

    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.

  12. sf said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:
    Andy q said:

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through a food
    mill?

    Chunky, chunky, chunky. Unless I'm gonna have extensive dental work,
    like getting all my teeth pulled.


    Yeah - but cooked potatoes, especially those in soup, are very easy to
    gum. 😉

    Smarty-pants! 😉

    Carol

  13. Damsel in dis Dress said:
    sf said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 04:31:34 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

    >Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through a food
    >mill?

    Chunky, chunky, chunky. Unless I'm gonna have extensive dental work,
    like getting all my teeth pulled.


    Yeah - but cooked potatoes, especially those in soup, are very easy to
    gum. 😉

    Smarty-pants! 😉


    I know.... LOL

    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.

  14. Andy said:

    Potato soup has gotten a lot of press lately on r.f.c.

    I'm going to make Victor's potato soup recipe today, the Bramborová Polévka
    version.

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through a food
    mill?

    This is my first ever homemade batch.

    Andy


    Since I did contribute a recipe I will say when I make it I leave the
    potatoes chunky. However, if I were making a more refined, starter type
    soup I would probably not want it chunky.

    As others said, it depends.

    --
    Queenie

    *** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***

  15. One time on Usenet said:

    Potato soup has gotten a lot of press lately on r.f.c.

    I'm going to make Victor's potato soup recipe today, the Bramborová Polévka
    version.

    Question is, Do you serve your potato soup chunky or puree it through a food
    mill?

    This is my first ever homemade batch.

    I mash mine lightly with a potato masher. DH likes chunks, but I like
    it creamy, so we compromise... :-)

    --
    Jani in WA

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.