Opinions of Cinder Cone

Loki

New Member
Mar 9, 2003
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting this bike, and since it will be my first 'serious' MTB I am looking for other people's opinions of it.

I am looking to mainly use it for commuting, but with a crapload of Urban Assault and Cross Country riding in between. I would like to go the DH/Freeride way but rear shox bump the price up quite a bit.

Anyway, just give me your honest, no-sh*t assesment, and even some reccomendations if you think my choice is ****.

(Oh, Giant Rainier/GT Ruckus2.0/Kona Stuff are the others that I'm looking at.)

Thanks in advance.

P.S: 6'3, 180 or so pounds (I think). So 19"+ frame.

Loki wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm looking at getting this bike, and since it will be my first 'serious' MTB I am
> looking for other people's opinions of it.
>
> I am looking to mainly use it for commuting, but with a crapload of Urban Assault and Cross
> Country riding in between. I would like to go the DH/Freeride way but rear shox bump the price up
> quite a bit.
>
> Anyway, just give me your honest, no-sh*t assesment, and even some reccomendations if you think my
> choice is ****.
>
> (Oh, Giant Rainier/GT Ruckus2.0/Kona Stuff are the others that I'm looking at.)

I think it's a good choice, but a lot depends on your intended usage. The Cinder Cone is more of an
XC bike, whereas the Stuff is more designed for dirt jumping and urban stuff (Since it's your first
mtb, you're better off with a hardtail anyway). As you're just beginning, you're unlikely to be
doing stuff that will cause much damage to the Cinder Cone, and it will behave much better on XC
rides, so that'd be my choice.

The Rainier is worth considering, but I think you get a better frame with the Kona.

I don't really have the endurance right now for a lot of XC riding. I do like jumping though, and doing tricky stuff in the city interests me.

Went to my local bike shop today and after about half an hour's worth of consideration and etc I like the look of the Giant XtC2. I thought it was a bit out of my price range previously ($1899 Australian) but they have quoted me 10% off.

I don't think a DS/DH bike would suit me at all, I would like the back travel but not when I'm trying to get to work on a sealed road :)

As for the Kona, well *one* bike shop in my state capital stocks them (Well, so far), and it doesnt do finance, so I'm pretty much stuffed there. I do like the look of Kona bikes, but the XtC2 looks like a winner with the 10% off deal plus finance options. It doesnt have disc brakes, that being the only negative I can see. Maybe an upgrade down the road if I feel I need them. (Comes with Disc capable hubs)

Loki <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey guys, I'm looking at getting this bike, and since it will be my first 'serious' MTB I am
> looking for other people's opinions of it.
>
> I am looking to mainly use it for commuting, but with a crapload of Urban Assault and Cross
> Country riding in between. I would like to go the DH/Freeride way but rear shox bump the price up
> quite a bit.
>
> Anyway, just give me your honest, no-sh*t assesment, and even some reccomendations if you think my
> choice is ****.
>
> (Oh, Giant Rainier/GT Ruckus2.0/Kona Stuff are the others that I'm looking at.)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> P.S: 6'3, 180 or so pounds (I think). So 19"+ frame.

kona=garbage

JD

"Loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I don't really have the endurance right now for a lot of XC riding. I do like jumping though, and
> doing tricky stuff in the city interests me.
>
> Went to my local bike shop today and after about half an hour's worth of consideration and etc I
> like the look of the Giant XtC2. I thought it was a bit out of my price range previously ($1899
> Australian) but they have quoted me 10% off.
>
> I don't think a DS/DH bike would suit me at all, I would like the back travel but not when I'm
> trying to get to work on a sealed road :)
>
> As for the Kona, well *one* bike shop in my state capital stocks them (Well, so far), and it
> doesnt do finance, so I'm pretty much stuffed there. I do like the look of Kona bikes, but the
> XtC2 looks like a winner

i went for the XTC2 over the kona line, the shimano deore brakes on the cinder cone arnt that great
IMHO. one thing to know about the XTC is that the tubes are a little thiner, and apperently dent
easily. and the 10% you save on the bike would probably be enough to add some avid mech discs, or
wait for the hydros.

Dave

Loki wrote:

> Hey guys, I'm looking at getting this bike, and since it will be my first 'serious' MTB I am
> looking for other people's opinions of it.
>
> I am looking to mainly use it for commuting, but with a crapload of Urban Assault and Cross
> Country riding in between. I would like to go the DH/Freeride way but rear shox bump the price up
> quite a bit.
>
> Anyway, just give me your honest, no-sh*t assesment, and even some reccomendations if you think my
> choice is ****.
>
> (Oh, Giant Rainier/GT Ruckus2.0/Kona Stuff are the others that I'm looking at.)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> P.S: 6'3, 180 or so pounds (I think). So 19"+ frame.

I own a Kona Stuff and love it... Had it for about a year and abused the **** out of it... I would
reccomend a h/t...

Jimbo(san)

Stephen Baker wrote:

>>Not a bad claim to fame, Steve! ;)
>

> Note that I said "for" me, not "of" me. He's a couple of years older than I am, and apart from the
> name we share nothing but a love a things with only two wheels. Steve "not the racer" Baker

I did notice that he had hair...