Orange Wheat Thins?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ranee Mueller, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. Safeway had a coupon for Wheat Thins, $0.99 for a 10 oz box, so I
    bought some. When did they turn orange? I remember them being kind of
    tan, but it's been a long time since I bought them.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  2. sf

    sf Guest

    On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:59:43 -0700, Ranee Mueller wrote:

    > Safeway had a coupon for Wheat Thins, $0.99 for a 10 oz box, so I
    > bought some. When did they turn orange? I remember them being kind of
    > tan, but it's been a long time since I bought them.

    Nabisco Wheat Thins *are* supposed to be tan. What type did you buy?
    No clue how you ended up with orange.

  3. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:59:43 -0700, Ranee Mueller wrote:

    > Safeway had a coupon for Wheat Thins, $0.99 for a 10 oz box, so I
    > bought some. When did they turn orange? I remember them being kind of
    > tan, but it's been a long time since I bought them.

    Randall's here in Texas is having the same special deal. Did you
    also get the $.99 butter and $.99 Kraft Mayo? I got two of
    everything (went through the lines twice) except the Wheat Thins.
    I can't stand Sandy Duncan.

    (Whatever you do, don't get the Orange Cream Hershey Kisses. I
    still can't find the Cheery Cordial Kisses).

    -sw

  4. "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:59:43 -0700, Ranee Mueller wrote:
    >
    > > Safeway had a coupon for Wheat Thins, $0.99 for a 10 oz box, so I
    > > bought some. When did they turn orange? I remember them being kind of
    > > tan, but it's been a long time since I bought them.

    > Randall's here in Texas is having the same special deal. Did you
    > also get the $.99 butter and $.99 Kraft Mayo? I got two of
    > everything (went through the lines twice) except the Wheat Thins.
    > I can't stand Sandy Duncan.
    >
    > (Whatever you do, don't get the Orange Cream Hershey Kisses. I
    > still can't find the Cheery Cordial Kisses).
    >
    > -sw

    The last time I bought Wheat Thins they were tan colored. Do they now make
    a cheese flavored Wheat Thin maybe? We have a mixed marriage... my husband
    prefers Wheat Thins and Sociables, whereas I'm strictly a Triscuits kinda
    person.

    Randall's has scaled down quite a bit in the Houston area. Afraid there are
    none near me anymore. Did get four lbs. of Land o' Lakes butter for $2/ lb.
    at Kroger.

    Chris in Pearland, TX

  5. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Ranee Mueller wrote:
    > Safeway had a coupon for Wheat Thins, $0.99 for a 10 oz box, so I
    > bought some. When did they turn orange? I remember them being kind
    > of tan, but it's been a long time since I bought them.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ranee

    Hmmm, they were tan the last time I bought them some time last year. (And
    for a moment, from the subject line I thought they'd started making orange -
    like the *fruit* - Wheat Thins and I was saying to myself ewwww!)

    Jill

  6. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-04-13, Ranee Mueller <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Safeway had a coupon for Wheat Thins, $0.99 for a 10 oz box, so I
    > bought some. When did they turn orange?

    You bought Cheez-its, ya' big dummie! ;)

    nb

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:59:43 -0700, Ranee Mueller wrote:
    >
    > > Safeway had a coupon for Wheat Thins, $0.99 for a 10 oz box, so I
    > > bought some. When did they turn orange? I remember them being kind of
    > > tan, but it's been a long time since I bought them.
    > >

    > Nabisco Wheat Thins *are* supposed to be tan. What type did you buy?
    > No clue how you ended up with orange.

    They were just the "original" Wheat Thins, Nabisco, etc. They aren't
    orange like mac-n-cheese powder, but definitely orange and not tan.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Randall's here in Texas is having the same special deal. Did you
    > also get the $.99 butter and $.99 Kraft Mayo? I got two of
    > everything (went through the lines twice) except the Wheat Thins.
    > I can't stand Sandy Duncan.

    Got the butter, no go on the mayo. We're going back tonight to get
    more butter. :)

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  9. Andy

    Andy Guest

    notbob <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On 2006-04-13, Ranee Mueller <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Safeway had a coupon for Wheat Thins, $0.99 for a 10 oz box, so I
    >> bought some. When did they turn orange?

    > You bought Cheez-its, ya' big dummie! ;)
    >
    > nb

    Visit: http://tinyurl.com/pwuzj

    The artificial color is turmeric oleoresin. That might explain the
    orange.

    The nutrition label also sucks. It doesn't say how many wheat thins per
    serving, just 31 grams, a little inconvenient. THE BUMS!!! The
    ingredients aren't too impressive either. A genetically modified (high
    fructose corn syrup) cracker!

    I wonder how many wheat thins there are in 31 grams?

    Andy

  10. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Ranee Mueller wrote:
    > Safeway had a coupon for Wheat Thins, $0.99 for a 10 oz box, so I
    > bought some. When did they turn orange? I remember them being kind of
    > tan, but it's been a long time since I bought them.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ranee

    I usually buy the low-fat, DH did the shopping and picked up the
    full-fat variety last week. I noticed they were orange as well. Must
    just be the current batch of coloring.
    -L.

  11. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:36:47 -0700, Ranee Mueller wrote:

    > Got the butter, no go on the mayo. We're going back tonight to get
    > more butter. :)

    I ripped out 4 more coupons from the stock of flyers in the front
    of the store so I can go back and get more $.99 butter later in
    the week.

    These are the only occasions I shop at Randall's/Safeway. We
    have a much better grocery store in Texas: H.E.Butts.

    -sw

  12. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:40:40 -0500, Andy wrote:

    > A genetically modified (high
    > fructose corn syrup) cracker!

    That's why I don't eat WT's anymore. Too sweet.

    -sw

  13. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 13 Apr 2006 17:35:35 -0700, -L. wrote:

    > Ranee Mueller wrote:
    >> Safeway had a coupon for Wheat Thins, $0.99 for a 10 oz box, so I
    >> bought some. When did they turn orange? I remember them being kind of
    >> tan, but it's been a long time since I bought them.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Ranee

    > I usually buy the low-fat, DH did the shopping and picked up the
    > full-fat variety last week. I noticed they were orange as well. Must
    > just be the current batch of coloring.

    This is probably why they're $.99. At that price, people
    probably won't bother to return them to the store just because
    they look funky.

    -sw

  14. "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:36:47 -0700, Ranee Mueller wrote:
    >
    > > Got the butter, no go on the mayo. We're going back tonight to get
    > > more butter. :)

    > I ripped out 4 more coupons from the stock of flyers in the front
    > of the store so I can go back and get more $.99 butter later in
    > the week.
    >
    > These are the only occasions I shop at Randall's/Safeway. We
    > have a much better grocery store in Texas: H.E.Butts.
    >
    > -sw

    I like HEB, but it seems like their prices have gone up lately. Our local
    HEB carries prime beef which can be hard to find unless you go into trendy
    SW (bad traffic) Houston.

    Chris in Pearland, TX

  15. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 01:36:03 GMT, Chris Marksberry wrote:

    > I like HEB, but it seems like their prices have gone up lately. Our local
    > HEB carries prime beef which can be hard to find unless you go into trendy
    > SW (bad traffic) Houston.

    At least here in Austin, they sell the "Prime 1" beef dirt cheap.
    USDA Prime Grade Prime Rib Roast is $9.99/lb this week. fillet
    mignon are usually around $16, and T-Bones, Strips, and Ribeyes
    hover around $11-$14.

    I hope they continue to sell the Prime. They've experimented
    with it at a few stores in the past, so I hope it's here to stay
    this time. There's usually not that big of a selection at some
    of the stores (I probably visit at least 3 different HEB's a
    week).

    -sw

  16. T

    T Guest

    In article <fAA%[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Ranee Mueller wrote:
    > > Safeway had a coupon for Wheat Thins, $0.99 for a 10 oz box, so I
    > > bought some. When did they turn orange? I remember them being kind
    > > of tan, but it's been a long time since I bought them.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Ranee
    > >

    > Hmmm, they were tan the last time I bought them some time last year. (And
    > for a moment, from the subject line I thought they'd started making orange -
    > like the *fruit* - Wheat Thins and I was saying to myself ewwww!)

    That's ok. When they started adding fruit flavorings to water I thought
    to myself how ridiculous. But then I tried raspberry flavored water.

    Not bad but still slightly ridiculous.

  17. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    T wrote:
    > In article <fAA%[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >> Ranee Mueller wrote:
    >>> Safeway had a coupon for Wheat Thins, $0.99 for a 10 oz box, so I
    >>> bought some. When did they turn orange? I remember them being kind
    >>> of tan, but it's been a long time since I bought them.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Ranee
    >>>

    >> Hmmm, they were tan the last time I bought them some time last year.
    >> (And for a moment, from the subject line I thought they'd started
    >> making orange - like the *fruit* - Wheat Thins and I was saying to
    >> myself ewwww!)

    > That's ok. When they started adding fruit flavorings to water I
    > thought
    > to myself how ridiculous. But then I tried raspberry flavored water.
    >
    > Not bad but still slightly ridiculous.

    I started adding fruit flavour to water way back before that stuff they sold
    called "Clearly Canadian". Should have gotten a patent on it. But! Orange
    flavoured wheat crackers would make one pause and shudder.

    Jill

  18. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Ranee Mueller wrote:
    > Safeway had a coupon for Wheat Thins, $0.99 for a 10 oz box, so I
    > bought some. When did they turn orange? I remember them being kind
    > of tan, but it's been a long time since I bought them.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ranee

    Ranee,

    I was in a store yesterday and spotted Wheat Thins. Question: did you get
    the "low-fat" variety? I ask because the two boxes were side by side and
    the photo on the front of the low-fat Wheat Thins had a definite orange cast
    while the "original" looked tan in the photo.

    Jill