Does anyone know what the original gearing was on a Raleigh Technium? Crankset and freewheel? I am meeting a friend who has one, and he is a casual, non-techie rider. I want to help him understand his gearing better, and want to prepare a gear chart for him.
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 08:17:07 -0400, BCDrums <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
Does anyone know what the original gearing was on a Raleigh Technium? Crankset and freewheel? I am meeting a friend who has one, and he is a casual, non-techie rider. I want to help him understand his gearing better, and want to prepare a gear chart for him.
He could count the teeth. That would be the most reliable info.
Also, when I was a beginner, a gear chart would have confused me. Even now, I don't see how useful they are.
JT
**************************** Remove "remove" to reply Visit http://www.jt10000.com ****************************
"BCDrums" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Does anyone know what the original gearing was on a Raleigh Technium? Crankset and freewheel? I am meeting a friend who has one, and he is a casual, non-techie rider. I want to help him understand his gearing better, and want to prepare a gear chart for him.
Thanks! BC non-Technium
Raleigh Technium bikes were made from at least 1984 until ???
They came in both road and MTB styles so it's hard to guess the gearing.
I picked up an almost new freewheel on eBay that came off of a 1988 Raleigh Technium Scott Tinley tri-lite model. It's a narrow Suntour 6 speed with 13-15-17-19-20-23 teeth. I'd guess that the front sprockets are 52/42.
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 08:17:07 -0400, BCDrums <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
Does anyone know what the original gearing was on a Raleigh Technium? Crankset and freewheel? I am meeting a friend who has one, and he is a casual, non-techie rider. I want to help him understand his gearing better, and want to prepare a gear chart for him.
He could count the teeth. That would be the most reliable info.
True. But he doesn't relate to teeth on sprockets. Many don't.
Quoted message said:
Also, when I was a beginner, a gear chart would have confused me. Even now, I don't see how useful they are.
JT
As the person who is going to show him the best pattern for shifting, it might help ME more than him.
I seem to recall that my 1984 or 85 Technium had a Suntour Alpha 5000 six-speed indexed downtube shifters, a 52-40 Sugino chainset, and a 13-26 suntour freewheel.
Rick "* * Chas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
"BCDrums" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Does anyone know what the original gearing was on a Raleigh Technium? Crankset and freewheel? I am meeting a friend who has one, and he is a casual, non-techie rider. I want to help him understand his gearing better, and want to prepare a gear chart for him.
Thanks! BC non-Technium
Raleigh Technium bikes were made from at least 1984 until ???
They came in both road and MTB styles so it's hard to guess the gearing.
I picked up an almost new freewheel on eBay that came off of a 1988 Raleigh Technium Scott Tinley tri-lite model. It's a narrow Suntour 6 speed with 13-15-17-19-20-23 teeth. I'd guess that the front sprockets are 52/42.
More specifically (it's coming back to me now) the rear cluster was a 13-15-17-19-22-26.
Rick
"Rick Holstein" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
I seem to recall that my 1984 or 85 Technium had a Suntour Alpha 5000 six-speed indexed downtube shifters, a 52-40 Sugino chainset, and a 13-26 suntour freewheel.
Rick "* * Chas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
"BCDrums" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Does anyone know what the original gearing was on a Raleigh Technium? Crankset and freewheel? I am meeting a friend who has one, and he is a casual, non-techie rider. I want to help him understand his gearing better, and want to prepare a gear chart for him.
Thanks! BC non-Technium
Raleigh Technium bikes were made from at least 1984 until ???
They came in both road and MTB styles so it's hard to guess the gearing.
I picked up an almost new freewheel on eBay that came off of a 1988 Raleigh Technium Scott Tinley tri-lite model. It's a narrow Suntour 6 speed with 13-15-17-19-20-23 teeth. I'd guess that the front sprockets are 52/42.
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 13:42:10 -0400, BCDrums <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
John Forrest Tomlinson said:
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 08:17:07 -0400, BCDrums <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
Does anyone know what the original gearing was on a Raleigh Technium? Crankset and freewheel? I am meeting a friend who has one, and he is a casual, non-techie rider. I want to help him understand his gearing better, and want to prepare a gear chart for him.
He could count the teeth. That would be the most reliable info.
True. But he doesn't relate to teeth on sprockets. Many don't.
I don't understand what you mean by "doesn't relate." He surely can count. In that way, he can tell you that info. That'll be the most accurate way for you to find out the gearing.
JT
**************************** Remove "remove" to reply Visit http://www.jt10000.com ****************************
I picked up an almost new freewheel on eBay that came off of a 1988 Raleigh Technium Scott Tinley tri-lite model. It's a narrow Suntour 6 speed with 13-15-17-19-20-23 teeth. I'd guess that the front sprockets are 52/42.
The most recent bent frame to head to the scrapper's (and good luck to them, on that) had no rear wheel but the front sprockets were 52 and 40.
A friend of mine had one of these so-called Techniums which I am fairly certain was 52 and 42 in the front, though I think hers had a 12 through 23 six speed in the rear on some suntour silent clutch freewheel.
Does anyone know what the original gearing was on a Raleigh Technium? Crankset and freewheel? I am meeting a friend who has one, and he is a casual, non-techie rider. I want to help him understand his gearing better, and want to prepare a gear chart for him.
"Technium" describes Raleigh's cold-processed frame system with steel, aluminum or carbon tubes bonded to internal sleeves. Road, track, sport , touring, city and offroad models were produced for ten years or so at Kent Washington.
-- Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971