UK and Europe · Public discussion

Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers

Started by klimek · · Last activity · 13 posts · 637 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
11 May 2006
Last activity
30 May 2006
Original author
klimek
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
637
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hallo!!!

    Just received Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p95&tbv=ORTLIEB_Back_Roller_Classic_PARTS_&_ACCESSORIES_Bags_-_Pannier_Bags
    and actually I don't like the top (there is no lid-its looks
    complicated to close the panniers)
    Is it better to swap them to the Ortlieb Back Packer Classic?
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p99&tbv=ORTLIEB_Bike_Packer_Classic_PARTS_&_ACCESSORIES_Bags_-_Pannier_Bags

    Cheers.

    Piotr

  2. Response to klimek:

    Quoted message said:

    Just received Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p95&tbv=ORTLIEB_Back_Roller_Classic_PARTS_&_ACCESSORIES_Bags_-_Pannier_Bags
    and actually I don't like the top (there is no lid-its looks
    complicated to close the panniers)
    Is it better to swap them to the Ortlieb Back Packer Classic?
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p99&tbv=ORTLIEB_Bike_Packer_Classic_PARTS_&_ACCESSORIES_Bags_-_Pannier_Bags

    I certainly wouldn't - I've got Ortlieb rollers, and having no lid makes
    it *easier* in my experience to close the panniers - I just roll them up
    as much or as little as the contents allow, and click the strap. It
    can't get much simpler than that.

    I've not used Ortliebs with lids, but I've used lids on other panniers,
    and it can be a bit more of a pain getting the lid down, especially if
    (like me) you over-fill them. Stick with what you've got, IMHO, they're
    possibly the best panniers you can get.

    --
    Mark, UK
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open
    sewer and die."

  3. klimek said:

    Hallo!!!

    Just received Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p95&tbv=ORTLIEB_Back_Roller_Classic_PARTS_&_ACCESSORIES_Bags_-_Pannier_Bags
    and actually I don't like the top (there is no lid-its looks
    complicated to close the panniers)
    Is it better to swap them to the Ortlieb Back Packer Classic?
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p99&tbv=ORTLIEB_Bike_Packer_Classic_PARTS_&_ACCESSORIES_Bags_-_Pannier_Bags

    I've tried both the Roller and the Bike Packer/Sport Packer, although in my case they are the 'Plus' version with the mesh
    pockets.
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p100
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p102

    I much prefer the 'lid' fitting although the two draw cords can occasionally need unwrangling.
    I like the separate area created under the lid between the first drawcord and the second, which can be used for storing items
    required during the day, and small items purchased en-route (aka cakes). The mesh pocket is also a bonus.
    I've found the roller top better for packing up and closing, but not so convenient for quick access during a day's ride.

    Most use is given to my 30ltr Sport Packer version which I find perfect for cycle-camping, as I find if I use the 40ltr Bike
    Packer Plus rather on the large side.

    I'd go for the swap.

    John B

  4. John B said:


    klimek said:

    Hallo!!!

    Just received Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p95&tbv=ORTLIEB_Back_Roller_Classic_PARTS_&_ACCESSORIES_Bags_-_Pannier_Bags
    and actually I don't like the top (there is no lid-its looks
    complicated to close the panniers)
    Is it better to swap them to the Ortlieb Back Packer Classic?
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p99&tbv=ORTLIEB_Bike_Packer_Classic_PARTS_&_ACCESSORIES_Bags_-_Pannier_Bags

    I've tried both the Roller and the Bike Packer/Sport Packer, although in my case they are the 'Plus' version with the mesh
    pockets.
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p100
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p102

    I much prefer the 'lid' fitting although the two draw cords can occasionally need unwrangling.
    I like the separate area created under the lid between the first drawcord and the second, which can be used for storing items
    required during the day, and small items purchased en-route (aka cakes). The mesh pocket is also a bonus.
    I've found the roller top better for packing up and closing, but not so convenient for quick access during a day's ride.

    Most use is given to my 30ltr Sport Packer version which I find perfect for cycle-camping, as I find if I use the 40ltr Bike
    Packer Plus rather on the large side.

    I'd go for the swap.

    Or try the Altura Dryline 50s . . .

    druidh

  5. klimek said:

    Just received Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers
    and actually I don't like the top (there is no lid-its looks
    complicated to close the panniers)

    Try it for a while... I actually find roll-tops easier to use than
    lids, especially if you want to over-pack them, and there's no
    plink-plink-plink of the straps you've just forgotten to close
    knocking against the spokes!

    Quoted message said:

    Is it better to swap them to the Ortlieb Back Packer Classic?

    Spend an evening getting a feel for the roll closure before you
    decide. In practice it's very easy to use and I personally prefer it.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  6. druidh said:
    John B said:

    Most use is given to my 30ltr Sport Packer version which I find perfect for cycle-camping, as I find if I use the 40ltr Bike
    Packer Plus rather on the large side.

    I'd go for the swap.

    Or try the Altura Dryline 50s . . .

    You could then sleep in them too ;-)

    John B

  7. Peter Clinch said:
    klimek said:

    Just received Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers
    and actually I don't like the top (there is no lid-its looks
    complicated to close the panniers)

    Try it for a while... I actually find roll-tops easier to use than
    lids, especially if you want to over-pack them, and there's no
    plink-plink-plink of the straps you've just forgotten to close
    knocking against the spokes!

    The straps aren't long enough on the Bike Packer version to get anywhere
    near the spokes.

    John B

  8. John B said:

    The straps aren't long enough on the Bike Packer version to get anywhere
    near the spokes.

    In which case are they long enough for a 50% overpack? That's how the
    straps on my Alturas and Carradice panniers were long enough to bounce
    off the wheels.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  9. Peter Clinch said:
    John B said:

    The straps aren't long enough on the Bike Packer version to get anywhere
    near the spokes.

    In which case are they long enough for a 50% overpack?

    50% may be pushing it, (I'd say about 30% would be possible) but the straps
    are also contained safely behind the useful mesh pocket area which prevents
    them from dangling in places they shouldn't.

    Quoted message said:

    That's how the
    straps on my Alturas and Carradice panniers were long enough to bounce
    off the wheels.

    Nasty.

    John B

  10. John B said:


    50% may be pushing it, (I'd say about 30% would be possible) but the straps
    are also contained safely behind the useful mesh pocket area which prevents
    them from dangling in places they shouldn't.

    Good designers, those Ortlieb folk!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's how the
    straps on my Alturas and Carradice panniers were long enough to bounce
    off the wheels.

    Nasty.

    Not at all, you just get a plink plink plink noise which is mildly
    annoying on the one hand, but does remind you haven't close the lid
    properly...
    There may be /some/ potential for the buckle to get into the spokes, but
    in the dozens of times I've forgotten over the years it's yet to happen,
    and I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  11. Peter Clinch said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's how the
    straps on my Alturas and Carradice panniers were long enough to bounce
    off the wheels.

    Nasty.

    There may be /some/ potential for the buckle to get into the spokes, but
    in the dozens of times I've forgotten over the years.....

    Ah, yes. the problems of getting older ;-)

    John B

  12. i artikel [email hidden], skrev
    klimek på [email hidden] den 06-05-11 19.15:

    Quoted message said:

    Hallo!!!

    Just received Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p95&tbv=ORTLIEB_Back_Rolle
    r_Classic_PARTS_&_ACCESSORIES_Bags_-_Pannier_Bags
    and actually I don't like the top (there is no lid-its looks
    complicated to close the panniers)
    Is it better to swap them to the Ortlieb Back Packer Classic?
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p99&tbv=ORTLIEB_Bike_Packe
    r_Classic_PARTS_&_ACCESSORIES_Bags_-_Pannier_Bags

    I have the Ortlieb Back Packer Classic, love them. And the roll top for my
    Brompton touring bag. I feel the ordinary lid is a little easier and faster
    to deal with, but Ortlieb say the roll-top is so waterproof that the bag
    "floats" while the lid bag is merely "sprayproof".

    The lid one doesn't have the shoulder strap though :-(

    --
    Erik Sandblom
    my site is EriksRailNews.com
    for those who don't believe, no explanation is possible
    for those who do, no explanation is necessary

  13. Erik Sandblom said:

    I have the Ortlieb Back Packer Classic, love them. And the roll top for my
    Brompton touring bag. I feel the ordinary lid is a little easier and faster
    to deal with, but Ortlieb say the roll-top is so waterproof that the bag
    "floats" while the lid bag is merely "sprayproof".

    This is true. The reason I went for the roll top was so they could do
    double duty as dry-bags for canoeing. While not advertised as
    waterproof with submerging, you'd still have a good chance of dry kit if
    they were.
    But though that's why I originally went for the rollers, I found they're
    not too much different in ease of use to conventional lids.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.