Road Cycling · Public discussion

Osteoporosis and Bicycling

Started by Denver C. Fox · · Last activity · 12 posts · 1,228 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 January 2004
Last activity
29 January 2004
Original author
Denver C. Fox
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,228
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Bicycling Magazine came in the mail today.

    Big article on osteo and bikers.

    Some quotes:

    While discussing an orthopedic surgeon/cross country biker age 51 who seemed in excellent health, "
    . . . the appearance and vitality of a man far younger than his 51 years. He also has the low bone
    denisty of a man in his 70's and is on the road to osteoporosis."

    "27 male racers ages 40-60 . . . trained average of 12.2 hours a week for 20 years . . . bone
    densities were 10% lower than a control group . . . Clinically, 10 percent thinning is significant -
    not good - almost frightening."

    "2/3rd's of the cyclists studied already showed signs of at least osteopenia (moderate bone loss).
    Four had full blown osteoporosis."

    "Rich Templin, a legendary mega-miler, has the hip and lower-spine bone densities of someone almost
    twice his age."

    "You are at increased risk if you are Caucasian or Asian, have a parent with osteoporosis, trained
    to excess as a youth, or took steroids."

    In addition to elite cyclists being particularly at risk, it seems that even recreational cyclists
    are somewhat at risk.

    The mechanism: Calcium is lost through sweat (something we cyclists know about). To be replaced,
    osteoclasts prep bones to receive a new layer of calcium. As we age, less is replaced, but this can
    be stopped with a good diet combined with physical activity that includes physical impact, G-Forces
    and vibration (road biking does not give enough vibration).

    Suggestions -

    1. Calcium and Vit D supplements (1,200 "Ca" spread over the day along with 400-800 IU of "d"😉.

    2. Yogurt and milk

    3. No smoking, less alcohol, and really less soda, (phosphates really depletes the Ca)

    4. Lift weights at least 2x's/wk, YEAR ROUND. It suggests heavy lifting to failure.

    5. Back exercises such as extensions 2x's week

    6. Run, hike, skip rope or jump around.

    7. Stand up on your bike more often.

    8. Mountain bike more

    9. Get a bone scan.

    "For recreational riders, cycling is not as good, bone-wise, as other fitness activities."

    The article is much longer. I have just presented the highlights.

    members.aol.comfoxcondorsrvtns (Colorado rental condo)

    members.aol.comdnvrfox (Family Web Page)

  2. (Denver C. Fox) said:

    Bicycling Magazine came in the mail today.

    Big article on osteo and bikers.

    The mechanism: Calcium is lost through sweat (something we cyclists know about). To be replaced,
    osteoclasts prep bones to receive a new layer of calcium. As we age, less is replaced, but this can
    be stopped with a good diet combined with physical activity that includes physical impact, G-Forces
    and vibration (road biking does not give enough vibration).

    Great post Denver. Thanks for sharing. Good warning to trainers to include some load-bearing
    activity, incl. weight training.

    -B

    Quoted message said:


    Suggestions -

    1. Calcium and Vit D supplements (1,200 "Ca" spread over the day along with 400-800 IU of "d"😉.

    2. Yogurt and milk

    3. No smoking, less alcohol, and really less soda, (phosphates really depletes the Ca)

    4. Lift weights at least 2x's/wk, YEAR ROUND. It suggests heavy lifting to failure.

    5. Back exercises such as extensions 2x's week

    6. Run, hike, skip rope or jump around.

    7. Stand up on your bike more often.

    8. Mountain bike more

    9. Get a bone scan.

    "For recreational riders, cycling is not as good, bone-wise, as other fitness activities."

    The article is much longer. I have just presented the highlights.

    members.aol.comfoxcondorsrvtns (Colorado rental condo)

    members.aol.comdnvrfox (Family Web Page)

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    (Denver C. Fox) said:

    Bicycling Magazine came in the mail today.

    Big article on osteo and bikers.

    The mechanism: Calcium is lost through sweat (something we cyclists know about). To be replaced,
    osteoclasts prep bones to receive a new layer of calcium. As we age, less is replaced, but this
    can be stopped with a good diet combined with physical activity that includes physical impact,
    G-Forces and vibration (road biking does not give enough vibration).

    Great post Denver. Thanks for sharing. Good warning to trainers to include some load-bearing
    activity, incl. weight training.

    -B

    I read that article, too, and it just reinforced my gut feeling that doing at least some running (1x
    per week or so) is good for my off- season routine. I get plenty of running in during the season
    from refereeing soccer. I already take extra calcium for other reasons, and drink a lot of milk.

    ....

    --
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

    REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

  4. [email hidden] (Denver C. Fox) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Bicycling Magazine came in the mail today.

    Big article on osteo and bikers.

    Some quotes:

    While discussing an orthopedic surgeon/cross country biker age 51 who seemed in .......

    "For recreational riders, cycling is not as good, bone-wise, as other fitness activities."

    The article is much longer. I have just presented the highlights.

    Interesting article. I've been aware for a long time that cycling was not a load bearing exercise
    and of this risk. I have wondered if riding a fixed gear, with its emphasis on braking by putting
    back-pressure on the pedals, changed cycling into a load bearing exercise. The statement about
    mountain bikers implies that it does not. But then again it is hard to quantify this. I suppose an
    empirical study would be needed.

    Tom

  5. On 25 Jan 2004 14:10:58 -0800, [email hidden] (Thomas Reynolds)

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Denver C. Fox) wrote in message news:<20040125080954.17086.00000751@mb-
    m03.aol.com>...

    Quoted message said:

    Bicycling Magazine came in the mail today.

    Big article on osteo and bikers.

    Some quotes:

    While discussing an orthopedic surgeon/cross country biker age 51 who seemed in .......

    "For recreational riders, cycling is not as good, bone-wise, as other fitness activities."

    The article is much longer. I have just presented the highlights.

    Interesting article. I've been aware for a long time that cycling was not a load bearing exercise
    and of this risk. I have wondered if riding a fixed gear, with its emphasis on braking by putting
    back-pressure on the pedals, changed cycling into a load bearing exercise. The statement about
    mountain bikers implies that it does not. But then again it is hard to quantify this. I suppose an
    empirical study would be needed.

    Tom

    Did they not discover on the space station that stationary biking was not enough to prevent the
    losses in low-G?

    And although running is load bearing, it is a limited activity putting force on the lower body only.
    I'm thinking it's hard to get away from slinging some iron.

    -B

  6. "Badger South" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Did they not discover on the space station that stationary biking was not enough to prevent the
    losses in low-G?

    And although running is load bearing, it is a limited activity putting force on the lower body
    only. I'm thinking it's hard to get away from slinging some iron.


    Yeah, I hear dumbbells calling and it's not even a work day 😉

    Here's an idea that has worked on multiple levels for me (although these statements have not been
    approved by the FDA):

    My wife likes to walk for exercise, and wants me to walk with her when she can't find a better
    partner. However, she walks at a slower pace. So, I started wearing my backpack with a 25 lb weight
    plate in it, so it weighed about 35 pounds total. This slowed me down sufficiently so we could walk
    at the same pace for an hour, but I still felt like I was getting some exercise.

    This doesn't do much for the arms, but does provide some weight-bearing exercise for the legs and
    back. Plus, now that we've gotten over the discussions about speed or lack of it, the walks have
    been very pleasant.

  7. [censored], if you fall off as often as I do your bones remain hard as nails.

    "Thomas Reynolds" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Denver C. Fox) wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Bicycling Magazine came in the mail today.

    Big article on osteo and bikers.

    Some quotes:

    While discussing an orthopedic surgeon/cross country biker age 51 who


    seemed in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    .......

    "For recreational riders, cycling is not as good, bone-wise, as other


    fitness

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    activities."

    The article is much longer. I have just presented the highlights.

    Interesting article. I've been aware for a long time that cycling was not a load bearing exercise
    and of this risk. I have wondered if riding a fixed gear, with its emphasis on braking by putting
    back-pressure on the pedals, changed cycling into a load bearing exercise. The statement about
    mountain bikers implies that it does not. But then again it is hard to quantify this. I suppose an
    empirical study would be needed.

    Tom

  8. Quoted message said:

    Big article on osteo and bikers.

    My orthopedic surgeon said that since I live in a two-story house I get all the weight bearing
    exercise I need just by going up and down the stairs. I hope he's right!

    Pat in TX

  9. Mike Kruger said:

    My wife likes to walk for exercise, and wants me to walk with her when she can't find a better
    partner. However, she walks at a slower pace. So, I started wearing my backpack with a 25 lb weight
    plate in it, so it weighed about 35 pounds total. This slowed me down sufficiently so we could walk
    at the same pace for an hour, but I still felt like I was getting some exercise.

    Be careful of your back. It might be safer (I don't know) to distribute some weight to the front.
    Maybe those lead vests that the dentist puts on you to X-ray your head?

    Quoted message said:

    This doesn't do much for the arms, but does provide some weight-bearing

    There's an easy solution for the arms; there are weights specifically designed to be wrapped around
    the wrist for exactly this purpose.

    These can also be wrapped around Fabrizio's top tube to slow him down on uphills for people like me
    to keep up with him.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  10. "Rick Onanian" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mike Kruger said:

    My wife likes to walk for exercise, and wants me to walk with her when she can't find a better
    partner. However, she walks at a slower pace. So, I started wearing my backpack with a 25 lb
    weight plate in it, so it weighed about 35 pounds total. This slowed me down sufficiently so we
    could walk


    at

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the same pace for an hour, but I still felt like I was getting some exercise.

    Be careful of your back. It might be safer (I don't know) to distribute some weight to the front.
    Maybe those lead vests that the dentist puts on you to X-ray your head?

    Quoted message said:

    This doesn't do much for the arms, but does provide some weight-bearing

    There's an easy solution for the arms; there are weights specifically designed to be wrapped
    around the wrist for exactly this purpose.

    The classic solution for walking is ankle weights.

  11. "Peter Cole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news😄mORb.175021$na.285394@attbi_s04...

    Quoted message said:


    The classic solution for walking is ankle weights.


    Yes, they are the classic solution.

    For whatever reason, I tried two different sets and just didn't like them, and the "weight plate in
    the backpack" worked for me. And the backpack method does provide weight-bearing for the spine that
    ankle weights would not.

    Rick's comments about being careful of the back when carrying a heavy backpack are good ones. It's
    less stress, though, than going backpacking, both because we aren't walking all day and because the
    sidewalks are more even than most trails.

  12. "Mike Kruger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Peter Cole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news😄mORb.175021$na.285394@attbi_s04...

    Quoted message said:


    The classic solution for walking is ankle weights.


    Yes, they are the classic solution.

    For whatever reason, I tried two different sets and just didn't like them, and the "weight plate
    in the backpack" worked for me. And the backpack method does provide weight-bearing for the spine
    that ankle weights would not.

    It provides only a bit more, since the spine is pretty loaded with head/torso mass to begin with.

    Quoted message said:

    Rick's comments about being careful of the back when carrying a heavy backpack are good ones. It's
    less stress, though, than going backpacking, both because we aren't walking all day and because
    the sidewalks are more even than most trails.

    A good (framed) backpack loads the hips, not the spine.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.