Graeme Dods said:I'm sure it will have been well and truly tested by several heavy
buggers many, many times before my son gets a look in ๐ I'll probably
set it up so it can be used with just a bar to hold for the big kids
or with a harness for the little ones.
Umm, generally a good adult flying fox is not good for kiddies. Of
course, devil is in detail. I occassionally run one diagonally across
front yard for kids in street. This one runs from fork in big tree at
front, high point, to fork in hakea near house, low point.
The secret is in adjusting the sag so kids slow down before they slam
into or hit the Hakea. Of course I also have a old single bed foam
mattress for them to drop off onto as the run ends over the driveway.
It is usually adjusted so the lightest kid just touches tree,but as it
is sisal rope, it quickly sags further.
As to wether a harness is needed really depends if then can hold their
own weight for the distance. Also, we started from a mesh on frame on
top of trailer, about 7' off ground and there wasn't a drop off on start
that put a lot of strain on kids grip. Only problem child was plumpish
and just didn't do anything really physical.
If you build it just to clear the ground for son, aka build it for him
and he doesnt achieve high speeds, and you're a wrestling dad and son
team (oaka okay wit rough and tumble), there shouldn't be any grief.
Aka, if he does come off, he'll just bounce straight back off and want
to go again. When he has positive experiences, then increase hight.
Alternatively, I actually have a swing seat for timid kids. Kids
actually had a choice of straight bar, a largish (16"๐ ring or the seat.
Trios on the ring were popular.
I just need to find somewhere
Quoted message said:in Perth that sells steel cable.
Good hardware shop.
The proper pulley might be the hard part. Nothing cast and 2"+ wheel
recommended.