Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

OT: Agent Newsreader

Started by Westie · · Last activity · 38 posts · 2,410 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
18 June 2004
Last activity
22 June 2004
Original author
Westie
Posts
38
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,410
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–38 of 38
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Jon Bond said:

    I'd love to see an adaware check too. I never install
    stuff I don't know what it is, and yet I always pick up
    spyware here and there - it just happens.

    You need to change your security settings. You're allowing
    unkown ActiveX controls to be installed without prompting.

    At work 40% of our cases are Spyware/URL Hijackers/Popups
    but our developers won't let us lock down IE, and our DNS
    admin is too lazy to blackhole known spyware sites.

    Quoted message said:

    Right now I'm dealing with a particularly nasty piece of
    malware known as Rads01.quadrogram (or something like
    that). Its been pretty viral in nature - changing its
    .exe name, running itself on startup and automatically
    reopening (with a new file name) when I close it down via
    task manager. I've adawared the thing at least 20 times,
    keeps finding files, reg entries, running processes - and
    it keeps coming back. and I KNOW I didn't install
    anything screwy.

    Try Hijack This. Don't fix anything unless you know for a
    fact it shouldn't be on your machine. Instead of looking for
    known spyware like Adaware or Spybot, Hijack This looks for
    common ways for spyware to be run on your system, like the
    Run key in the registry, etc. At work it picks up several of
    our utilities so I have to pay attention to what I'm
    removing but it has always fixed things that Adaware and
    Spybot miss so I've stopped using those.

    It's funny how no one in IT at work gets infected with
    Spyware even though we don't have IE locked down, one would
    think that we would be

    Greg
    --
    Destroy your safe and happy lives Before it is too late The
    battles we fought were long and hard Just not to be consumed
    by rock'n'roll

  2. pas said:


    a friend of mine is having trouble with something like
    that. There's also Spybot Search and Destroy, which I used
    in conjunction with Adaware, and then there's a new one
    called "bazooka"... any one have any experience with that
    piece of software?

    No, but be careful with Spybot, upon removing a couple of
    different pieces of spyware it will corrupt the winsock2
    key in the registry leaving you without the ability to use
    most network apps like a browser or email until you either
    fix the winsock2 key by deleting the winsock2 key,
    uninstalling TCP/IP, rebooting, then reinstalling TCP/IP.
    There are also a couple of utilities on the net that repair
    the winsock2 key but I haven't tested them yet, I just quit
    using Spybot instead.

    Greg

    --
    Destroy your safe and happy lives Before it is too late The
    battles we fought were long and hard Just not to be consumed
    by rock'n'roll

  3. Jon Bond said:

    I'd love to see an adaware check too. I never install
    stuff I don't know what it is, and yet I always pick up
    spyware here and there - it just happens. Right now I'm
    dealing with a particularly nasty piece of malware known
    as Rads01.quadrogram (or something like that). Its been
    pretty viral in nature - changing its .exe name, running
    itself on startup and automatically reopening (with a new
    file name) when I close it down via task manager. I've
    adawared the thing at least 20 times, keeps finding files,
    reg entries, running processes - and it keeps coming back.
    and I KNOW I didn't install anything screwy.

    I fired up an AV client and scanned my computer just for
    you!

    Local Scanner Log (6/19/2004 9:53:05 AM) File Scan
    Summary Total Files Scanned 50756 Files Renamed File
    Infections 0 Archives Scanned Files Cured 0 Files In
    Archives Scanned Files Deleted 0 File Cure Errors Files
    Moved 0 File Scan Errors

    I run adaware and spybot every couple of months, pretty
    much all it ever finds is cookies and an occasional
    registry entry.

  4. G.T. said:
    pas said:


    a friend of mine is having trouble with something like
    that. There's also Spybot Search and Destroy, which I
    used in conjunction with Adaware, and then there's a new
    one called "bazooka"... any one have any experience with
    that piece of software?

    No, but be careful with Spybot, upon removing a couple of
    different pieces of spyware it will corrupt the winsock2
    key in the registry leaving you without the ability to use
    most network apps like a browser or email until you either
    fix the winsock2 key by deleting the winsock2 key,
    uninstalling TCP/IP, rebooting, then reinstalling TCP/IP.
    There are also a couple of utilities on the net that
    repair the winsock2 key but I haven't tested them yet, I
    just quit using Spybot instead.

    Greg

    Greg do you know anything about
    kephyr.comspywarescanner This one?

  5. pas said:

    Greg do you know anything about
    kephyr.comspywarescanner This one?


    No, but it sounds like a respected tool. We get about 10 or
    12 spyware cases a day so I'll give it a shot this week at
    work. No spyware here to test it on since I'm on Mac OS X.

    So far at work we've used Adaware, Spybot S&D, PestPatrol,
    and Hijack This extensively along with our own homegrown
    PestCleaner script.

    Greg
    --
    Destroy your safe and happy lives Before it is too late The
    battles we fought were long and hard Just not to be consumed
    by rock'n'roll

  6. "pas" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Greg do you know anything about
    kephyr.comspywarescanner This one?

    I tried it. Didn't appear to work as well as AdAware +
    Spybot. In fact, didn't appear to do a whole lot. Hit scan,
    and [censored], it's done, reporting only the Windows Media Player
    GUID log. (Not a real problem) I can't imagine that it
    scanned all 200GB of my system in under 2 seconds.

    Spybot 1.3 reported a bunch of bad actor cookies, and
    AdAware 6 the same. Both of those take some minutes to run a
    full scan.

    I'm behind a Linsys router/firewall and an IpCop linux
    firewall, so I'm not really too worried.

    I have a spare machine around that I may load up with some
    known spyware to try this thing further.

    Pete

  7. Pete said:

    "pas" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Greg do you know anything about
    kephyr.comspywarescanner This one?

    I tried it. Didn't appear to work as well as AdAware +
    Spybot. In fact, didn't appear to do a whole lot. Hit
    scan, and [censored], it's done, reporting only the Windows
    Media Player GUID log. (Not a real problem) I can't
    imagine that it scanned all 200GB of my system in under 2
    seconds.

    Spybot 1.3 reported a bunch of bad actor cookies, and
    AdAware 6 the same. Both of those take some minutes to run
    a full scan.

    The above one probably only checks common places for
    spyware to run from like Hijack This does, i.e., run key in
    the registry, Startup folder, registered dlls, installed
    ActiveX controls, etc. It makes scans quick and for spyware
    I don't think you need to do a full system scan a la
    AdAware and Spybot.

    Greg

    --
    Destroy your safe and happy lives Before it is too late The
    battles we fought were long and hard Just not to be consumed
    by rock'n'roll

  8. "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pete said:

    "pas" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Greg do you know anything about
    kephyr.comspywarescanner This one?

    I tried it. Didn't appear to work as well as AdAware +
    Spybot. In fact, didn't appear to do a whole lot. Hit
    scan, and [censored], it's done, reporting only the Windows
    Media Player


    GUID

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    log. (Not a real problem) I can't imagine that it
    scanned all 200GB of my system in under 2


    seconds.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Spybot 1.3 reported a bunch of bad actor cookies, and
    AdAware 6 the


    same.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Both of those take some minutes to run a full scan.

    The above one probably only checks common places for
    spyware to run from like Hijack This does, i.e., run key
    in the registry, Startup folder, registered dlls,
    installed ActiveX controls, etc. It makes scans quick and
    for spyware I don't think you need to do a full system
    scan a la AdAware and Spybot.

    Greg

    A bit of a test: Secondary machine sitting around (PII
    400/Win2000 - haphazardly patched)

    Nothing else loaded on it besides the operating system

    Installed various known spyware/adware programs. Bonzi
    CometCursor Gator/Gator eWallet WeatherScope (from GAIN)
    BlazingTools Perfect Keylogger Actions Monitor

    Surfed around to a few suspicious sites to enable cookie
    placement.

    Bazooka Spyware from kephyr.com scanner only found what was
    resident in memory. Bonzi, Comet, Gator, WeatherScope.

    Did not find existence of other malware. Actions Monitor or
    BlazingTools keylogger.

    Didn't find any of the cookies, or any reg entries It also
    does not actually remove anything. It only gives you
    instructions on manually removal. Regedit, etc.

    Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. Not inclusive enough,
    and doesn't actually remove anything.

    Pete

  9. Slacker said:
    sittingduck said:
    Monique Y. Mudama said:

    On 2004-06-18, kantspel penned:

    > Don't even get me started on how much better Firebird
    > is over IE, I absolutly cannot use IE anymore.

    Mmmmm firebird. Come for the popup blocking. Stay for
    the tabs.

    Indeed! Firefox kicks ass, I use tabs constantly, its a
    great way to read forums and browse links on a site. It
    helps to learn the KB shortcuts too, here is a page full
    of them: texturizer.netkeyboard.html

    Have just tried Firefox the last couple of days since
    reading this. It's FAST, easy to migrate to and I like the
    skins. It also has a better layout than IE when your display
    res is higher. I run mine at 1024x768. Haven't quite figured
    out what difference tabs versus New Window make to my life
    yet. Am having trouble selecting text on pages and in the
    google bar, and positioning the cursor. Very haphazard
    whether or not it goes where you want it to. Curious. I like
    it overall but the selection problems are a pain. Next step
    is to try XNews.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  10. On 2004-06-20, Westie penned:

    Quoted message said:


    Have just tried Firefox the last couple of days since
    reading this. It's FAST, easy to migrate to and I like the
    skins. It also has a better layout than IE when your
    display res is higher. I run mine at 1024x768. Haven't
    quite figured out what difference tabs versus New Window
    make to my life yet. Am having trouble selecting text on
    pages and in the google bar, and positioning the cursor.
    Very haphazard whether or not it goes where you want it
    to. Curious. I like it overall but the selection problems
    are a pain. Next step is to try XNews.

    Tabs are wonderful if, like me, you tend to have 15-20
    sites open at a minimum. You can group pages by browser
    instance to find what you want. Also, you can bookmark them
    as a group.

    Not sure about the selection issue, but here's a tip you may
    find interesting: if you right-click on an email address,
    one of the options is to copy the email address. Same with
    right-clicking on a link; it offers to copy the address for
    you. (Actually, this is even better than copying the
    straight text in many cases). I also adore the "copy image
    location" feature.

    --
    monique

  11. Westie said:

    Have just tried Firefox the last couple of days since
    reading this. It's FAST, easy to migrate to and I like the
    skins. It also has a better layout than IE when your
    display res is higher. I run mine at 1024x768. Haven't
    quite figured out what difference tabs versus New Window
    make to my life yet. Am having trouble selecting text on
    pages and in the google bar, and positioning the cursor.
    Very haphazard whether or not it goes where you want it
    to. Curious. I like it overall but the selection problems
    are a pain. Next step is to try XNews.

    Very useful is holding shift or Ctrl while clicking a link,
    I read some forums, and I can open all posts that I want to
    read in tabs by clicking the ones I want while holding Ctrl.
    This opens them all in separate tabs, which I can simply
    click through one by one as I go through them. This would be
    especially nice if your connection is slow, by the time you
    read the first couple of "tabs" the rest would be
    downloaded.

    Xnews is really excellent, but keep in mind many of the more
    advanced features can only be accessed by editing .ini
    files. It is very configurable, and it may or may not be to
    your liking "out of the box". Be patient and you will be
    able to set it up almost any way you like.

    --
    6/20/2004
    7:24 AM [GMT-8]

  12. Jon Bond said:

    I'd love to see a virus scan of your computer. One of my
    friends here who works for our school's online service
    (which mostly handles virus removal and prevention)
    thought he didn't need a virus scanner because he was
    too smart to fall for virus stuff. He's a damn smart kid
    too - double major computer and civil engineering, and
    doing well.

    Intelligent does not always equate to smart.

    Quoted message said:

    He lasted about a month before he got kicked off the
    network for spreading viruses - he had more than 5 on his
    computer when we checked it over.

    I rest my case. It takes some going to attract 5 viruses.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd love to see an adaware check too. I never install
    stuff I don't know what it is, and yet I always pick up
    spyware here and there - it just happens.

    Either tighten up your settings and / or use a
    different browser.

    Quoted message said:

    [censored] happens man, ESPECIALLY if you're running windows.
    And yes, a lot of that [censored] slips right by most firewalls

    If you think "[censored] slips right by most firewalls", then you
    have a poor understanding of what firewalls actually do.

    Quoted message said:

    - my school is behind a firewall, plus filters email for
    viruses (viri?)

    Viruses. Viri is the Latin for 'men'. If the plural were
    virii (as some people write it), then the singular would
    be virius.

    Staying virus-free is actually pretty simple, provided you
    know what you're doing and you take some precautions. I've
    not used AV software for years, and surprisingly have
    remained virus-free, even whilst using M$ machines.

    The problem is, as you've just demonstrated, that AV
    software is viewed as a panacea, when in reality, it's
    actually not that good. A little bit of common sense is far
    more effective. YMMV.

  13. Westie said:

    Have just started to use Forte Agent newsreader today
    having come from OE. I've heard that it's a good NG Reader
    and I guess there is a learning curve, but what on Earth is
    it that you Agent users like about this app?

    I use it as much for email as usenet. It is the email client
    that I get on with best - it threads email so much more
    preductably than any other client I have tried. Rather
    useful with <> 400 emails a day!

    I tend to use it in "offline mode", even when I have a live
    internet feed.

    What I think you may want to set is options -> general
    preferences -> online operation -> general settings and look
    at the box "viewing unretrieved messages when offline" and
    set the button to go get it rather than mark.
    --
    Paul Matthews [email hidden] hepcats.co.ukhepcats.co.uk

  14. "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jon Bond said:

    I'd love to see a virus scan of your computer. One of my
    friends here who works for our school's online service
    (which mostly handles virus removal and prevention)
    thought he didn't need a virus scanner because he was
    too smart to fall for virus stuff. He's a damn smart kid
    too - double major computer and civil engineering, and
    doing well.

    Intelligent does not always equate to smart.

    Quoted message said:

    He lasted about a month before he got kicked off the
    network for spreading viruses - he had more than 5 on
    his computer when we checked it over.

    I rest my case. It takes some going to attract 5 viruses.

    College network with a LOT of very stupid people downloading
    viruses. Plus drunken browsing tends to lower your guard a
    bit... and the boy was rushing a frat at the time, so he did
    a lot of drunken browsing... (and drunken puking, and
    drunken homework, and drunken....)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd love to see an adaware check too. I never install
    stuff I don't know what it is, and yet I always pick up
    spyware here and there - it just happens.

    Either tighten up your settings and / or use a different
    browser.

    Just 'cause I use swiss cheese... er, excuse me, IE....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    [censored] happens man, ESPECIALLY if you're running windows.
    And yes, a lot of that [censored] slips right by most
    firewalls

    If you think "[censored] slips right by most firewalls", then
    you have a poor understanding of what firewalls
    actually do.

    I don't pretend to be a firewall expert - I do know,
    however, that we had a firewall (hardware, not software -
    although we experimented with those too) set up on my home
    network, and although we never got any of the MS-exploit
    worms, we did still get a couple viruses - granted, my mom
    is completely clueless when it comes to not downloading
    files ("but its from somebody I know!"😉.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    - my school is behind a firewall, plus filters email for
    viruses (viri?)

    Viruses. Viri is the Latin for 'men'. If the plural were
    virii (as some people write it), then the singular would
    be virius.

    Yeah, was too lazy to look it up, but thought viruses was
    right. Note the "7:18AM" post time - that wasn't me waking
    up early. Damn sleep disorders...

    Quoted message said:

    Staying virus-free is actually pretty simple, provided you
    know what you're doing and you take some precautions. I've
    not used AV software for years, and surprisingly have
    remained virus-free, even whilst using M$ machines.

    The problem is, as you've just demonstrated, that AV
    software is viewed as a panacea, when in reality, it's
    actually not that good. A little bit of common sense is
    far more effective. YMMV.

    I've also, on my personal computer, have never gotten a
    virus. A ton of annoying adware, yes, but never a virus.
    Only twice has my antivirus software popped up, and that was
    on downloaded email messages that had a virus in their
    payload (but needed to be run to activate it). Except for
    their potential to hog system resources, it just seems like
    a smart thing to
    do. Nah, its no panacea, no silver bullet - but it allows
    me to not worry about whether that file I accidentally
    downloaded at 6 or 7AM for a free trial of something
    quite possibly had a virus in it - peace of mind is
    worth the fairly reasonable subscription price to me.

    Jon Bond

  15. On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:36:23 -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama"
    <[email hidden]> scribbled:

    Quoted message said:

    On 2004-06-20, Westie penned:

    Quoted message said:


    Have just tried Firefox the last couple of days since
    reading this. It's FAST, easy to migrate to and I like
    the skins. It also has a better layout than IE when your
    display res is higher. I run mine at 1024x768. Haven't
    quite figured out what difference tabs versus New Window
    make to my life yet. Am having trouble selecting text on
    pages and in the google bar, and positioning the cursor.
    Very haphazard whether or not it goes where you want it
    to. Curious. I like it overall but the selection problems
    are a pain. Next step is to try XNews.

    Tabs are wonderful if, like me, you tend to have 15-20
    sites open at a minimum. You can group pages by browser
    instance to find what you want. Also, you can bookmark them
    as a group.

    Unless you accidentally click wrong and close the
    whole freaking group, rendering all your web surfing
    moot. 🙂 (doh!)

    [snip]

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"
    -The Onion

  16. Slash said:


    Unless you accidentally click wrong and close the
    whole freaking group, rendering all your web surfing
    moot. 🙂 (doh!)

    LOL! Been there done that!

    --
    6/21/2004
    7:19 PM [GMT-8]

  17. On 2004-06-21, Slash penned:

    Quoted message said:


    Unless you accidentally click wrong and close the
    whole freaking group, rendering all your web surfing
    moot. 🙂 (doh!)

    I usually take that as a sign that I should be doing
    something more worthwhile, anyway =)

    --
    monique

  18. sittingduck said:
    Quoted message said:

    Unless you accidentally click wrong and close the
    whole freaking group, rendering all your web surfing
    moot. 🙂 (doh!)

    LOL! Been there done that!

    Fortunately, Opera saves your sessions.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.