General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

OT: Average Grocery Bill per week is ??

Started by Will · · Last activity · 27 posts · 3,303 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 June 2005
Last activity
14 June 2005
Original author
Will
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,303
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each week... food,
    paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.

    This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would go out
    and collect some data 🙂

    thanks for all comments.

    Will

  2. Will said:

    What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each week... food,
    paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.

    This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would go out
    and collect some data 🙂

    thanks for all comments.

    Will

    including paper products, cleaning products, etc., from $60-100,
    depending on how "cheap" we are eating. that is for two adults and a 3
    year old.

    --

    saerah

    "It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

    aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

    "I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
    contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
    -König Prüß

  3. Will said:

    What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each
    week... food, paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.

    This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would
    go out and collect some data 🙂

    thanks for all comments.

    Will

    It's a subject which is also *subjective*. It would certainly depend on how
    many are in your household and what types of food you eat and other products
    you buy.

    I live alone so I tend to shop monthly, not weekly. I figure I spend about
    $200 USD a month give or take a few $. I do buy fresh produce every week
    *if* I'm at the store and spot something that looks good, or if I'm
    preparing a particular meal and need something I don't have. I use frozen
    veggies a lot of the time because it's easier for me than running to the
    store all the time, they keep indefinitely (okay, grain of salt here). If I
    want cheese I do go to the store for that when I need it, although I've had
    success freezing (for a brief time) some sorts of cheese without the texture
    being affected.

    I don't eat a lot of bread so I can buy a loaf and stick it in the freezer
    and take out a couple of slices if I want some toast or something. I also
    don't eat a lot of eggs; I may buy a carton once a month.

    Some folks are hooked on name brands and pay for them. I'm only particular
    about certain things in the name brand department (i.e. I prefer Reynold's
    foil). For the few canned items I buy (usually canned beans) it doesn't
    matter a whit to me if they are name brand or the store brand. I buy what
    is cheapest.

    As for "paper" products, I use cheap paper towels, store brand wax paper and
    el-cheapo 200 packs of paper plates that last me quite a while.

    Cleaning products - I'm old fashioned. I use a dilution of ammonia in water
    for mopping the floors and wiping the counters and stove. Heck, if the
    scent is important you can even buy lemon ammonia or pine ammonia. I like
    Ajax dishwashing liquid; it's inexpensive and cuts the grease IMHO as well
    as any of the fancier brands. Store brand liquid laundry detergent also
    works for me.

    As I stated, this is all very subjective. I know some people who buy fresh
    stuff every single day, including the meat or fish they plan to have for
    dinner that night. I can't be bothered 🙂

    Jill

  4. Will said:

    What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each week... food,
    paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.

    This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would go out
    and collect some data 🙂

    thanks for all comments.

    Will

    Also depends where in the world you live... dunno if you are from the
    States or wherever...

    We spend the equivalent of USD140 per week for all the "stuff" you
    mentioned above, which includes extras (like fresh veggies etc.) This
    is for two adults and one toddler...
    Cheers
    Cathy

  5. "Will" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each week...
    food, paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.

    This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would go out
    and collect some data 🙂


    I live alone and spend about £20 (UK money) weekly, but usually end up
    throwing half of it away because I cook too big a portions or the food goes
    past it's use by date before I use it.

    Bill

  6. "Will" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each week...
    food, paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.

    This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would go
    out and collect some data 🙂

    thanks for all comments.

    We (two adults and a toddler--who eats a LOT) spend around $150/week on
    stuff we buy at the supermarket (food, soda/beer/wine, cleaning
    supplies, paper products, diapers, cat food/litter, etc.). I'm usually
    the one who does the weekly shopping, and with a few exceptions (toilet
    paper, paper towels, diapers, some toddler snacks/other snacks,
    beverages) I buy store brand products, rather than name brand. And I
    stock up on sale items. I also pretty much stick to buying only what's
    on my shopping list. When my husband does the shopping, he ends up
    spending more because he's much more of an impulse buyer than I am (he
    also tends to buy name brands for almost everything). He's also a beer
    snob and doesn't blink an eye at spending at least $7 or $8 for a
    six-pack of beer.

    Mary

  7. jmcquown said:

    I live alone so I tend to shop monthly, not weekly. I figure I spend about
    $200 USD a month give or take a few $. I do buy fresh produce every week
    *if* I'm at the store and spot something that looks good, or if I'm
    preparing a particular meal and need something I don't have. I use frozen
    veggies a lot of the time because it's easier for me than running to the
    store all the time, they keep indefinitely (okay, grain of salt here). If I
    want cheese I do go to the store for that when I need it, although I've had
    success freezing (for a brief time) some sorts of cheese without the texture
    being affected.


    $200 a month is about right for me also being single with two dogs.
    Most of the canned stuff I get at our local discount food store.
    Cleaning and paper products I get at a Family Dollar store, example a
    large bottle of Mr. Clean for $1.00, 12 rolls of bathroom survival
    paper for $4.00 and 2 rolls paper towels for $1.00. Bath soap I get 4
    bars for $1.50. Paper plates and such I don't worry about because I
    make my own wooden bowls and plates and mugs. I can't make the
    utensils because the city won't give me a permit for a small smelter
    or I would. I sit down at the end of each month and plan out what I
    will make for the coming month mainly and buy accordingly. My veggies
    are always fresh as they come from my garden except in the winter.
    However I still grow some of the smaller veggies inside during the
    winter.

  8. MareCat said:

    We (two adults and a toddler--who eats a LOT) spend around $150/week on
    stuff we buy at the supermarket (food, soda/beer/wine, cleaning
    supplies, paper products, diapers, cat food/litter, etc.). I'm usually
    the one who does the weekly shopping, and with a few exceptions (toilet
    paper, paper towels, diapers, some toddler snacks/other snacks,
    beverages) I buy store brand products, rather than name brand. And I
    stock up on sale items. I also pretty much stick to buying only what's
    on my shopping list. When my husband does the shopping, he ends up
    spending more because he's much more of an impulse buyer than I am (he
    also tends to buy name brands for almost everything).

    Two adults here. I tend to do one stop shopping in a grocery store that has
    it all because if I go to three of four different stores to get deals my
    impulse buying will end up costing me more. My grocery bill is usually
    around $100.

    Quoted message said:

    He's also a beer snob and doesn't blink an eye at spending at least $7 or
    $8 for a
    six-pack of beer.

    That's not being a beer snob. That's just refusing to be party to the
    support of an industry that turns out [censored] beer. A six pack of domestic
    beer around here is closer to $9. Imported beers sell for about $2 per can,
    but you get about 30% more in them, so they aren't that much more expensive.
    It's well worth the extra.

    My brother used to hassle me about drinking "yuppie beer" because of my
    preference for European imports. Being a typical North American beer
    drinker (read alcoholic) he goes through 2-3 cases ...cases not six packs
    per week, while my $9 -12 six packs were lasting me 2-3 weeks. I would
    rather have one or two good beers occasionally than guzzle a dozen bottles
    of love in a canoe.

  9. MareCat said:


    We (two adults and a toddler--who eats a LOT) spend around $150/week on
    stuff we buy at the supermarket (food, soda/beer/wine, cleaning
    supplies, paper products, diapers, cat food/litter, etc.). I'm usually
    the one who does the weekly shopping, and with a few exceptions (toilet
    paper, paper towels, diapers, some toddler snacks/other snacks,
    beverages)

    Diapers are a big expense.... they cost us around USD15 per bag of 52
    per week(+/-).... not to mention the milk toddlers need too.. and the
    snacks 🙂 What do you pay? We live in South Africa, BTW.

    I buy store brand products, rather than name brand. And I

    Quoted message said:

    stock up on sale items. I also pretty much stick to buying only what's
    on my shopping list.

    We stick to "the shopping list" too.

    When my husband does the shopping, he ends up

    Quoted message said:

    spending more because he's much more of an impulse buyer than I am (he
    also tends to buy name brands for almost everything). He's also a beer
    snob and doesn't blink an eye at spending at least $7 or $8 for a
    six-pack of beer.

    My DH drinks whiskey.... but he is really good with "the list" when he
    does the shopping 🙂

    Cheers
    Cathy

    Quoted message said:


    Mary

  10. Will said:

    What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each week... food,
    paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.

    This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would go out
    and collect some data 🙂

    We went to the 'discount' supermarket yesterday and spent $80 on basic
    meat and vegetables and bread. That'll feed two adults for two weeks.
    We also spend about $50 a week at Albertsons on TP, kitchen towel,
    tinned stuff etc that the discount store doesn't sell. Adding
    everything together I'd say we total about $100US a week, or $120 with
    luxuries.

    --
    ~Karen aka Kajikit
    Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    http://www.kajikitscorner.com

  11. On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:57:08 GMT, "Will" <[email hidden]>
    connected the dots and wrote:

    ~What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?
    ~
    ~If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each
    week... food,
    ~paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.
    ~
    ~This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would
    go out
    ~and collect some data 🙂
    ~
    ~thanks for all comments.
    ~
    ~Will
    ~
    ~
    Produce: ~$40
    Frozen: ~$10
    Dry goods: ~$5
    Dairy: ~$8
    Seafood: ~$4
    Meat & Poultry: ~$4
    Paper Plastic Foil:~$2

    Family of 3, 1 teen

  12. Will said:

    What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each week... food,
    paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.

    This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would go out
    and collect some data 🙂

    thanks for all comments.

    There are 2 1/2 of us (my wife and me and my daughter half the time). We
    eat richly. Not necessarily lots of food, but things we like. Counting
    all the other things listed above, I suspect we do somewhere around $250
    a week. Sometimes more if we're entertaining. Last Saturday, I spent
    $160 on a small dinner party for my sister's birthday (8 of us) and that
    didn't include the dry-aged beef I brought for steaks. Life is short...

    Pastorio

  13. We spend about 500/month. Thats for two people and one dog. But we
    eat mostly fresh organic veggies and we get a discount at the store. I
    should add another 200 for eating out.

  14. "Will" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each week...
    food, paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.

    This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would go out
    and collect some data 🙂

    Two adults.
    One trip a month to BJ's is about $225. That includes cleaning supplies,
    paper goods, laundry detergent.

    At the local market each week we spend about another $30 for bread, fresh
    veggies, etc. We will usually eat dinner out once a week or so and probably
    a lunch on the weekends. My lunch during the week is leftovers from dinner
    as we cook extra for just that reason.
    --
    Ed
    http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

  15. "Will" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each week...
    food, paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.

    This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would go out
    and collect some data 🙂

    thanks for all comments.

    Oh, you can't get too excited about it. There is always something
    One week it's a box of Tide, next week it's a bottle of Bayer, whatever.
    You try to buy on sale with coupons but it's not always feasible. Around
    here, two adults, 80 to 100 dollars. Some of it's luxury items like candy
    or like that. So what. Life is short, then you die.

    nancy

  16. Will said:

    What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each week... food,
    paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.

    This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would go out
    and collect some data 🙂

    "suplies" is a problem.

    I can give you an accounting for what I spend on food (and I feed six
    cats) but I've no idea what you mean by "other supplies". And cleaning
    supplies is difficult to give a weekly accounting, they're not
    purchased weekly... and does bath soap, toothpaste, shampoo, and other
    personal hygiene products count as cleaning supplies... what about car
    cleaners, furniture polish, laundry stuff... the list goes on and on...
    and you don't want to know about how much I spend on gardening supplies
    just for vegetables.... the way you posed it yours is a stupid
    question.

    Sheldon

  17. Will <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    US$250 to US$300 for 2 adults, 2 preteens, and one youngling (plus the
    preteen tribe members that visit during the week). We also like to go
    out to eat but I won't include that in the expenditure.

    Normal list includes but is not exclusive to:
    6 gal of milk, 2% and Whole
    several bricks of cheeses (Tillamook usually)
    multiple varietals of cheeses for afternoon snacking

    5 lb. ground sirloin
    5 lb. chicken breasts
    5 pork sirloins (boneless)
    5 fresh catch fish filets (amount will vary depending on week)
    5 tritip sirloins

    5 lb. to 10 lb. Russet potatoes
    Pasta (bulk)
    Rice (bulk)
    Yukon Gold/Red/Kennington

    Too many Vegetables and Fruits to quantify

    The nice thing about the older daughter-units hitting the preteen stage
    is I am no longer locked to the stove and they're becoming quite adept
    at making their own snacks and meals. (It's bitter sweet thing that
    Daughter Independence thang.)

    Do I mind supplying the neighborhood kids with something to eat? <shrug>
    Not really. Keeps mine out of trouble and close to home; keeps theirs
    out of trouble, too. I now understand my Sainted Mother's(tm)
    Iron-handed Ruling: "You and your friends may eat anything you can
    prepare... As long as it's not deep fried, over-sugared, and swimming in
    lard."

    The Ranger

  18. "cathyxyz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    MareCat said:


    We (two adults and a toddler--who eats a LOT) spend around $150/week
    on
    stuff we buy at the supermarket (food, soda/beer/wine, cleaning
    supplies, paper products, diapers, cat food/litter, etc.). I'm
    usually
    the one who does the weekly shopping, and with a few exceptions
    (toilet
    paper, paper towels, diapers, some toddler snacks/other snacks,
    beverages)

    Diapers are a big expense.... they cost us around USD15 per bag of 52
    per week(+/-).... not to mention the milk toddlers need too.. and the
    snacks 🙂 What do you pay? We live in South Africa, BTW.

    DD (age 2 1/2) wears 4-5 diapers a day, so a bag of diapers (same size
    and around the same price that you pay) typically lasts us longer than a
    week.

    Mary

  19. "Will" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each week...
    food, paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.

    This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would go out
    and collect some data 🙂

    thanks for all comments.

    Geez, who gives a [censored]? What do other people's grocery bills have to do with
    you? Are you trying to justify your bill based on others? Buy what you want
    and what you can afford.

    --
    Peter Aitken
    Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

  20. Nancy Young at [email hidden] wrote on 6/12/05 4:26 PM:

    Quoted message said:


    "Will" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What do you guys spend per week on groceries/supplies?

    If you would, please include all the normal stuff you buy each week...
    food, paper goods, cleaning supplies, other supplies, etc.

    This is a subject of great debate in our house so I thought I would go out
    and collect some data 🙂

    thanks for all comments.

    Oh, you can't get too excited about it. There is always something
    One week it's a box of Tide, next week it's a bottle of Bayer, whatever.
    You try to buy on sale with coupons but it's not always feasible. Around
    here, two adults, 80 to 100 dollars. Some of it's luxury items like candy
    or like that. So what. Life is short, then you die.

    nancy

    I buy groceries for one adult and one cat.
    I do like to have people over for dinner once a week or so, but basically
    it's just me.

    I typically spend $30-35 a week.
    What I buy every week is usually what's on sale that I use, so it can vary
    by the week. One week, chicken might be on sale, so I'll buy a couple
    packages, usually one for now, and one for the freezer. When frozen veggies
    go for 99 cents for a one-pound bag (which is pretty low around here) I buy
    6-7 and have them for awhile. If I see laundry detergent at a good price
    for my brand, and I've got a half bottle of it...I'll get it. When cat food
    goes 4/$1, I get 6-7 bucks worth so I don't have to buy it at 45 cents a can
    otherwise. That will last her 4 weeks or so.

    I buy bathroom tissue when it goes for $6 for a 12 pack of double rolls, and
    that will last me a couple months. And I buy it whether I need it or not
    that week. Because it's usually in a cycle of every 6 weeks that it goes on
    sale--and a 12 pack will last me about 6 weeks. Same with paper towels. Once
    every few months, I'll find an 8 pack of paper towels for about $4. (or a
    similar deal, 50 cents per roll) and I'll buy it and then I won't have to
    buy it when I run out.

    That's how I buy most things, actually, anything with a shelf or freezer
    life, anyway.

    I will usually buy a loaf of bread and maybe some cookies or some other type
    of treat. I usually buy frozen veggies, but of course, some I always use
    fresh; zucchini, asparagus, corn, etc. There is always fresh fruit every
    week. Gotta have my fruit! In summer, I buy those frozen fruit juice pops,
    like Breyers Fruit pops. They are delicious and very "cooling".

    Some weeks I do spend more than others...when I find cans of soda priced
    very low, like 3 12-packs for $8-9, I will get that and then have the soda
    for months. I like to have soda with lunch.

    I rarely buy pre-made food, nor do I buy too many boxed mixes. I admit to a
    weakness for Stove Top Stuffing and I will buy an occasional package of
    Lipton rice or noodle side dishes, because they are easy prep when you don't
    feel like cooking much. I also keep several boxes of Mac and cheese dinner
    in the pantry. But I only buy it when it's 25 cents a box or less. The
    store brand is usually that price everyday. About a year ago, it went for 10
    cents a box. I bought 20 and I think I still have some of those. Again, it's
    easy prep and sometimes, it's exactly what I want. I only buy "convenience"
    foods when they are less expensive to buy than the ingredients to make it
    myself.

    I am a careful shopper and I only buy things when they are on sale, unless
    it's something I'm really desperate for. (whether need or want). It really
    kills me to pay full price for anything. And I blame the stores for making
    me that way. If they had everyday low pricing, you could buy what you want,
    when you wanted it. But they play games with prices--so I play along.

    Buying things that I know I will use when they are well-priced works for me,
    and it means I will always have certain items in "inventory" when I want
    them. Plus, doing it this way, I'm not really shopping for the week, I'm
    just sort of shopping "for the pantry".

    All told, I probably spend about $150 a month on food and "necessities"
    (like bathroom tissue, soap, laundry and dish detergent, cat food, etc).

    I accomplish this by shopping 3 stores, usually starting with reading the
    flyers and deciding which store has the most stuff I use at the best prices.
    I typically go into at least 2 stores during the week, which two depends on
    the sales.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.