OT - but I think honesty should be applauded

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Guest
See

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1118228.html?menu=

"NTL customers told to "f***" off

Callers reporting faults to telecom company NTL were greeted by a recorded
message telling them to f*** off.

A man with a strong Geordie accent made the foul-mouthed announcement.

The message said: "Hello. You are through to NTL customer services. We don't
give a f*** about you. We are never here.

"We just will f*** you about, basically, and we are not going to handle any of
your complaints. Just f*** off."

The message was on a line for call centres in Manchester, Swansea and
Lanarkshire.

Company sources said an outside hacker breaking into the NTL system was the
most likely culprit, though an employee with a grudge wasn't ruled out.

Spokesman Malcolm Padley said: "We'd like to apologise." "

Personally I think the company should be applauded for its honesty, after all,
whenever I've had the misfortune to need to call such a centre, the attitude I
have come across is one where the company really does have the above less than
helpful attitude so accurately decribed in the geordie message. Honesty from a
call-centre is *refreshing* I suppose ;-)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> See
>
> http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1118228.html?menu=
>
> "NTL customers told to "f***" off
>
> Callers reporting faults to telecom company NTL were greeted by a recorded
> message telling them to f*** off.
>
> A man with a strong Geordie accent made the foul-mouthed announcement.
>
> The message said: "Hello. You are through to NTL customer services. We

don't
> give a f*** about you. We are never here.
>
> "We just will f*** you about, basically, and we are not going to handle

any of
> your complaints. Just f*** off."
>
> The message was on a line for call centres in Manchester, Swansea and
> Lanarkshire.
>
> Company sources said an outside hacker breaking into the NTL system was

the
> most likely culprit, though an employee with a grudge wasn't ruled out.
>
> Spokesman Malcolm Padley said: "We'd like to apologise." "
>
> Personally I think the company should be applauded for its honesty, after

all,
> whenever I've had the misfortune to need to call such a centre, the

attitude I
> have come across is one where the company really does have the above less

than
> helpful attitude so accurately decribed in the geordie message. Honesty

from a
> call-centre is *refreshing* I suppose ;-)
>
> Cheers, helen s
>

> --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
> to get correct one remove fame & fortune
> h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$
>
> --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched

off--

It's certainly a change from listening to the elevator music.

On 27 Sep 2004 16:46:51 GMT someone who may be
[email protected]omcom (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote
this:-

>Personally I think the company should be applauded for its honesty,

Agreed. I get angry when listening to a company lying that my call
is important to them. If my call was important then they would
answer it, instead of expecting me to pay to listen to their lies.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On 27 Sep 2004 16:46:51 GMT, [email protected]omcom
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>The message said: "Hello. You are through to NTL customer services. We don't
>give a f*** about you. We are never here.
>"We just will f*** you about, basically, and we are not going to handle any of
>your complaints. Just f*** off."

I think my Mum (an NTL victim) would have no trouble agreeing with
that.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

David Hansen <[email protected]> writes:

>Agreed. I get angry when listening to a company lying that my call
>is important to them. If my call was important then they would
>answer it, instead of expecting me to pay to listen to their lies.

Central IT services last week, when I asked them to help with an IMAP
problem:

"We only support Groupwise and Webmail as that is the only client that is
available on the student desktop.
<snip>

I hope this information is of some assistance to you."

So I fixed it myself. And I still think it is something in their setup.
And their information was of no assistance whatsoever and I can't believe he
was hoping it would be.

Roos

> See
>
> http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1118228.html?menu=
>
> "NTL customers told to "f***" off
>
> Callers reporting faults to telecom company NTL were greeted by a recorded
> message telling them to f*** off.
>
> A man with a strong Geordie accent made the foul-mouthed announcement.
>
> The message said: "Hello. You are through to NTL customer services. We don't
> give a f*** about you. We are never here.
>
> "We just will f*** you about, basically, and we are not going to handle any of
> your complaints. Just f*** off."

I used to be an NTL victim^H^H^H^H^H^H customer and that is spot on.

On 27/9/04 6:19 pm, in article [email protected],
"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 27 Sep 2004 16:46:51 GMT someone who may be
> [email protected]omcom (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote
> this:-
>
>> Personally I think the company should be applauded for its honesty,

> Agreed. I get angry when listening to a company lying that my call
> is important to them. If my call was important then they would
> answer it, instead of expecting me to pay to listen to their lies.

Unless it is Nambarrie ;-)

...d

On 27/9/04 8:04 pm, in article [email protected],
"Roos Eisma" <[email protected]> wrote:

> David Hansen <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Agreed. I get angry when listening to a company lying that my call
>> is important to them. If my call was important then they would
>> answer it, instead of expecting me to pay to listen to their lies.

> Central IT services last week, when I asked them to help with an IMAP
> problem:
>
> "We only support Groupwise and Webmail as that is the only client that is
> available on the student desktop.
> <snip>
>
> I hope this information is of some assistance to you."
>

> So I fixed it myself. And I still think it is something in their setup.
> And their information was of no assistance whatsoever and I can't believe he
> was hoping it would be.

They were lying to you, they do support IMAP (but have had lots of grief
with it). Life Sciences in particular are very ****** off with GW.

...d

David Martin <[email protected]> writes:

> On 27/9/04 8:04 pm, in article [email protected],
> "Roos Eisma" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > David Hansen <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> >> Agreed. I get angry when listening to a company lying that my call
> >> is important to them. If my call was important then they would
> >> answer it, instead of expecting me to pay to listen to their lies.

> > Central IT services last week, when I asked them to help with an IMAP
> > problem:
> >
> > "We only support Groupwise and Webmail as that is the only client that is
> > available on the student desktop.
> > <snip>
> >
> > I hope this information is of some assistance to you."
> >

> > So I fixed it myself. And I still think it is something in their setup.
> > And their information was of no assistance whatsoever and I can't believe he
> > was hoping it would be.

> They were lying to you, they do support IMAP (but have had lots of grief
> with it). Life Sciences in particular are very ****** off with GW.

It's exactly the same situation here. Amazing

> Personally I think the company should be applauded for its honesty

But it isn't the company that's being "honest" and they seem to be
denying any involvement in the prank.

The bastards.

d.

On 28/9/04 10:53 am, in article [email protected], "Ambrose Nankivell"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> David Martin <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> On 27/9/04 8:04 pm, in article [email protected],

>>> Central IT services last week, when I asked them to help with an IMAP
>>> problem:
>>>
>>> "We only support Groupwise and Webmail as that is the only client that is
>>> available on the student desktop.
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I hope this information is of some assistance to you."
>>>

>>> So I fixed it myself. And I still think it is something in their setup.
>>> And their information was of no assistance whatsoever and I can't believe he
>>> was hoping it would be.

>> They were lying to you, they do support IMAP (but have had lots of grief
>> with it). Life Sciences in particular are very ****** off with GW.
>>

> It's exactly the same situation here. Amazing

It could have been worse.. the other two tenders were Lotus notes and MS
Exchange..

ITServices do know about IMAP. They have spent the last week tearing their
hair out because someone sent a message to all 25K users. GW does a smart
thing and only keeps one copy of the message. This isn't smart when 25K
people try to access it at once and the system falls over.

It also is not nice when you can't get at mail reliably out of hours because
they are backing up. Grrr..

Stress relieving ride through the rain needed.. <drags conversation vaguely
back on topic>

...d

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:53:02 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It could have been worse.. the other two tenders were Lotus notes and MS
>Exchange..

Exchange? Spit. But Domino (which also supports IMAP) is very stable
and scaleable. And pretty secure.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On 28/9/04 4:36 pm, in article [email protected],
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:53:02 +0100, David Martin
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> It could have been worse.. the other two tenders were Lotus notes and MS
>> Exchange..

> Exchange? Spit. But Domino (which also supports IMAP) is very stable
> and scaleable. And pretty secure.

The problem wasn't the product but the vendor, with whom we have had
interaction in other fields. The terms bargepole and 12 foot come to mind.
Finding an alternative vendor is not easy this far from major centres..

...d

David Martin <[email protected]> writes:

>>> They were lying to you, they do support IMAP (but have had lots of grief
>>> with it). Life Sciences in particular are very ****** off with GW.

>ITServices do know about IMAP. They have spent the last week tearing their
>hair out because someone sent a message to all 25K users. GW does a smart
>thing and only keeps one copy of the message. This isn't smart when 25K
>people try to access it at once and the system falls over.

I get the impression that they provide it but don't support it for
students, as they don't have a valid (in their book) reason for using it.
"Just because I prefer using a real email client rather than webmail"
doesn't count as a valid reason.

And to get the cycling back in, is the Life Sciences bike shed available
to students or is it staff only?

Roos

On 27 Sep 2004 16:46:51 GMT, [email protected]omcom
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:

>See
>
>http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1118228.html?menu=
>
>"NTL customers told to "f***" off
>
>Callers reporting faults to telecom company NTL were greeted by a recorded
>message telling them to f*** off.

Hi Helen

NTL tech bods are pretty good, IMO. Their regular customer support
people are less helpful.

These days, I avoid the latter and phone the former directly. Sadly,
the tech people cannot hep re billing etc. How hard can it be to
change the collection date of a direct debit mandate? Dunno the true
answer, but it's taken NTL three months so far.

James

In message <[email protected]>, James Hodson
<[email protected]> writes

>the tech people cannot hep re billing etc. How hard can it be to
>change the collection date of a direct debit mandate? Dunno the true
>answer, but it's taken NTL three months so far.

DDs are administered by the collector not the bank - our computer
produces a file with all our DDs in it and we send it to the banking
system. So all that's needed is for someone to enter the different date
on NTL's computer so that it puts you in a different DD run.

Having seen them from the collector's end, I don't trust them, and have
as few as possible.

--
Sue ];:))

What goes down must come up again - Confucius' Law of Mountain Biking

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:42:49 +0100, Sue White <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In message <[email protected]>, James Hodson
><[email protected]> writes
>>
>>the tech people cannot hep re billing etc. How hard can it be to
>>change the collection date of a direct debit mandate? Dunno the true
>>answer, but it's taken NTL three months so far.
>>

>DDs are administered by the collector not the bank - our computer
>produces a file with all our DDs in it and we send it to the banking
>system. So all that's needed is for someone to enter the different date
>on NTL's computer so that it puts you in a different DD run.
>
>Having seen them from the collector's end, I don't trust them, and have
>as few as possible.

Hi Sue

I know how DDMs work and every other company I pay via DDM gets the
details right. It's just NTL that seems to be able to muck things up
nicely. They do try and alterations are indeed made but, sadly, they
seem unable to achieve the required date.

James

James Hodson <[email protected]> whizzed past me
shouting

>I know how DDMs work and every other company I pay via DDM gets the
>details right. It's just NTL that seems to be able to muck things up
>nicely. They do try and alterations are indeed made but, sadly, they
>seem unable to achieve the required date.

You've never done business with us, have you?

--
Sue ];:))

What goes down must come up again - Confucius' Law of Mountain Biking

Sue White <[email protected]>typed

> James Hodson <[email protected]> whizzed past me
> shouting
> >
> >I know how DDMs work and every other company I pay via DDM gets the
> >details right. It's just NTL that seems to be able to muck things up
> >nicely. They do try and alterations are indeed made but, sadly, they
> >seem unable to achieve the required date.
> >

> You've never done business with us, have you?

He obviously doesn't live in LB Brent either. I gave up with paying my
Council Tax by Direct Debit after they failed to take the money and sent
me a red bill TWICE despite valid DDMs being in place.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.