Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

OT: by request, stache b'gone

Started by Technician · · Last activity · 116 posts · 11,915 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
22 May 2003
Last activity
28 May 2003
Original author
Technician
Posts
116
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
11,915
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 116
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Westie said:
    Quoted message said:

    /turtle.jpg"]http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/[censored]/turtle.jpg

    I look normal, don't I?

    Ummmm... can you define 'normal' for me again.... ;-)

    I think that one fits in "normal for THIS newsgroup", i.e. the bar set by Rimmer and a few others.

    Of course, Mr Squid is going to have to keep that face on all the time to retain that status.

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

  2. "TacomaBoy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Technician" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, myarse247 @hotmail.com says...

    Quoted message said:

    TacomaBoy wrote:

    > It is tough to get used to contacts, impossible for some. I think


    smaller

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > glasses would look pretty slick. Sorry to hear bout the bleeding.


    Does

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > look good though.

    Seconded. The lack of tash looks much better and smaller glasses or contacts would look good.

    Hmmm, i may try contacts again. checked a mirror and IMO i do look better without glasses (that
    that i could see anyway).

    here is a pic for comparison. megalink.netno glasses.jpg

    curiously, either my eyebrows are at different heights, or my head is crooked again (maybe i
    just over analyze too much)

    it does look like a totally different person though. for the better?
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net megalink.net~farmers

    Yeah improvement again IMO. But who am I to say hehe... Don't get contacts on my account hehe.
    But, I think after you get used to em, they really do become your friend, and they help ones self
    esteem... Another reason I am out to lose 40 pounds!

    Put Travis in a Hawaiian shirt, some Dockers, loafers, and he could be in a Bud Light commercial.
    Lookin good, dude! Just remember, your bait determines the kind of fish you catch.

    Paladin

  3. "Jon Bond" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<XOdza.687831$OV.642492@rwcrnsc54>...

    Quoted message said:

    "MattB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    PS - I think I look pretty "normal". Here's me if anyone's curious:
    mattb.netme 05 03.jpg Should I change my look? Maybe get glasses or grow
    a 'stache?

    Hmm... I'd say go for the mutton chops.

    I concur. It would give you more of a bohemian look that is almost required in Gunnison county,
    unless you are a tobacco chewin', bottle shootin', atv ridin' redneck.

    JD

  4. "Technician" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    PS - I think I look pretty "normal". Here's me if anyone's curious:
    mattb.netme 05 03.jpg Should I change my look? Maybe get glasses or grow
    a 'stache?

    Hell, i wish i looked like that. you at least look much younger than i.

    actually, you kind of remind me of that guy in the movie Top Gun, can't remember who it was though
    (Brad Pitt?). slight resemblance anyway.
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net megalink.net~farmers

    LOL! I just turned 32 on Monday. I prefer to think of it as 2^5 or 100000 (binary). You look younger
    sans mustache I think.

    That would be Val Kilmer, and people used to say my brother looked like him in high school. Maybe if
    I got that flat top (like my bro had).

    I more often get compared to Brad Pitt or Leonardo DiCapprio (sp?). I had that same hairstyle as Leo
    when Titanic came out. I even got my picture taken by some old ladies in Key West who wouldn't
    believe that I wasn't him. Got a hair cut right after that. I think my wife kind of looks like
    Jessica Alba (Mmmmm Dark Angel). I haven't seen our pictures show up in any tabloids yet.

    Matt (Can't the fans just let me live my life?!?!?)

    PS - There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

  5. "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Jon Bond" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<XOdza.687831$OV.642492@rwcrnsc54>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "MattB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    PS - I think I look pretty "normal". Here's me if anyone's curious:
    mattb.netme 05 03.jpg Should I change my look? Maybe get glasses or
    grow a 'stache?

    Hmm... I'd say go for the mutton chops.

    I concur. It would give you more of a bohemian look that is almost required in Gunnison county,
    unless you are a tobacco chewin', bottle shootin', atv ridin' redneck.

    JD

    I'd give it a shot, but I don't think I can. I'd like to think on myself as a Bohemian (just one
    with a job - is that possible?). The problem here lies in biology. That part of my face doesn't
    really grow any whiskers, just kind of a light downy sort of "fem beard" (although I've seen women
    with thicker beards in Crested Butte).

    How about a soul patch instead? I think I can do that.

    Matt

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    PS - There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

    010010010111010000100111011100110010000001101110011011110111010000100000
    011001000110100101100110011001100110100101100011011101010110110001110100
    001000000111010001101111001000000110011001101001011001110111010101110010
    011001010010000001101111011101010111010000100000011011110110111001100011
    011001010010000001111001011011110111010100100000011010110110111001101111
    011101110010000001110100011010000110010100100000011000100110000101110011
    011010010110001100100000011011010110010101110100011010000110111101100100
    00100000011011110110011000100000011010010111010000101110
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net megalink.net~farmers

  7. "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    More "normal" AMB'ers: j-harris.netP1010002.JPG

    From the left, Huw, some roadie, Shaun aRe and Dr Chequer.

    Now, I know everyone says Rimmer looks like that Bean dude, but whenever I see a pic of Rimmer I see
    something entirely different.... uta.ficurryadd.jpg
    uta.fidinner.jpg pages.prodigy.netrockyhwall2.jpg

    --
    Slacker

  8. "MattB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Technician said:

    I have too much pride than to put a oil filter that has the


    equivalence

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of a piece of paper towel into somebodies car. I would never use that [censored] in my car, and i
    will drop dead before i put it in somebody


    else's.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    We've all had [censored] jobs at some point, but it all counts as experience. Don't look at it as a
    permanent job, just a stop gap that will keep (I mean start) the money coming in and give you
    extra experience that proves to future employers that you are capable of holding a position of
    responsibility.


    <more snip>

    Yeah, like when I was a video clerk. Renting [censored] was particularly distasteful at times. Like when
    this one guy would rent on his lunch hour one day/week when the Mrs. was doing something else.
    He'd bring back the tape in like 40 Minutes and he never rewound. The highlight of that job


    was

    Quoted message said:

    a cute college girl asking me to help her choose one (cue the "bow chica-wow-wow" music). It
    didn't end up like a [censored] film or anything, but there was a certain element of novelty to it.

    People would also come up with the latest Stallone or VanDamme film and


    ask

    Quoted message said:

    "Is this good?". Most of the time I hadn't seen it, but I could be pretty confident that it was
    utter [censored]. I'd smile and say "Haven't seen it yet. People (thinking to myself "Idiots like you"😉
    do seem to like it.".

    Having to fight the urge to answer the "What would you recommend?"


    question

    Quoted message said:

    with "I recommend you get off you fat ass and stop watching all these


    [censored]

    Quoted message said:

    movies and actually do something like ride you bike or talk to your family for once!" was always a
    challenge.

    It was a stepping stone and now I'm glad I put up with it all.

    Matt

    Man, that doesn't sound too bad really. Any job that has any "bow chica-wow-wow" music can't be too
    bad. Probably the worst job that I had was where loosing extremities was about par for the course.
    How many times can you tell someone "Whatever you do, never, ever, insert fingers past the
    protective cage and put them in there". That was when I was working in a processing plant. It was
    mind-numbingly boring, repetitive by nature, cold and freezing, always wet, and very noisy and just
    damn depressing. And pieces of finger would regularly go past on the conveyer belts. It's the only
    job where I'd do things like calculate 100! in my head to relieve the boredom and then promptly fall
    of the seat because the conveyor belt stopped abruptly and my body kept moving to compensate.
    --
    Westie

  9. Westie thoughtfully penned:

    Quoted message said:

    "MattB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Technician wrote:

    > I have too much pride than to put a oil filter that has the equivalence of a piece of paper
    > towel into somebodies car. I would never use that [censored] in my car, and i will drop dead before i
    > put it in somebody else's.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    We've all had [censored] jobs at some point, but it all counts as experience. Don't look at it as a
    permanent job, just a stop gap that will keep (I mean start) the money coming in and give you
    extra experience that proves to future employers that you are capable of holding a position of
    responsibility.


    <more snip>

    Yeah, like when I was a video clerk. Renting [censored] was particularly distasteful at times. Like
    when this one guy would rent on his lunch hour one day/week when the Mrs. was doing something
    else. He'd bring back the tape in like 40 Minutes and he never rewound. The highlight of that job
    was a cute college girl asking me to help her choose one (cue the "bow chica-wow-wow" music). It
    didn't end up like a [censored] film or anything, but there was a certain element of novelty to it.

    People would also come up with the latest Stallone or VanDamme film and ask "Is this good?". Most
    of the time I hadn't seen it, but I could be pretty confident that it was utter [censored]. I'd smile
    and say "Haven't seen it yet. People (thinking to myself "Idiots like you"😉 do seem to like it.".

    Having to fight the urge to answer the "What would you recommend?" question with "I recommend you
    get off you fat ass and stop watching all these [censored] movies and actually do something like ride
    you bike or talk to your family for once!" was always a challenge.

    It was a stepping stone and now I'm glad I put up with it all.

    Matt

    Man, that doesn't sound too bad really. Any job that has any "bow chica-wow-wow" music can't be
    too bad. Probably the worst job that I had was where loosing extremities was about par for the
    course. How many times can you tell someone "Whatever you do, never, ever, insert fingers past the
    protective cage and put them in there". That was when I was working in a processing plant. It was
    mind-numbingly boring, repetitive by nature, cold and freezing, always wet, and very noisy and
    just damn depressing. And pieces of finger would regularly go past on the conveyer belts. It's the
    only job where I'd do things like calculate 100! in my head to relieve the boredom and then
    promptly fall of the seat because the conveyor belt stopped abruptly and my body kept moving to
    compensate.

    OK, y'all gotta rent "clerks" now if you haven't seen it yet.

    Penny

  10. On Fri, 23 May 2003 16:30:32 -0400, Technician <[email hidden]> scribbled:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    PS - There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

    010010010111010000100111011100110010000001101110011011110111010000100000
    011001000110100101100110011001100110100101100011011101010110110001110100
    001000000111010001101111001000000110011001101001011001110111010101110010
    011001010010000001101111011101010111010000100000011011110110111001100011
    011001010010000001111001011011110111010100100000011010110110111001101111
    011101110010000001110100011010000110010100100000011000100110000101110011
    011010010110001100100000011011010110010101110100011010000110111101100100
    00100000011011110110011000100000011010010111010000101110

    0101000001100101011100100110100001100001011100000111001100100000011100110
    1101111001000010010000001010101011011000111010001101001011011010110000101
    1101000110010101101100011110010010110000100000011010000110111101110111011
    0010101110110011001010111001000101100001000000111010001101000011001010111
    0010011001010010000001101001011100110010000001101110011011110010000001110
    0000110111101101001011011100111010000101110

    I can't believe I just spent two minutes of my life to do that.

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, slash3 @geocities.com says...

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 23 May 2003 16:30:32 -0400, Technician <[email hidden]> scribbled:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    PS - There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who
    don't.

    010010010111010000100111011100110010000001101110011011110111010000100000
    011001000110100101100110011001100110100101100011011101010110110001110100
    001000000111010001101111001000000110011001101001011001110111010101110010
    011001010010000001101111011101010111010000100000011011110110111001100011
    011001010010000001111001011011110111010100100000011010110110111001101111
    011101110010000001110100011010000110010100100000011000100110000101110011
    011010010110001100100000011011010110010101110100011010000110111101100100
    00100000011011110110011000100000011010010111010000101110

    0101000001100101011100100110100001100001011100000111001100100000011100110
    1101111001000010010000001010101011011000111010001101001011011010110000101
    1101000110010101101100011110010010110000100000011010000110111101110111011
    0010101110110011001010111001000101100001000000111010001101000011001010111
    0010011001010010000001101001011100110010000001101110011011110010000001110
    0000110111101101001011011100111010000101110

    I can't believe I just spent two minutes of my life to do that.

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

    yeah, but what will really twist your turbine is that it only took me .0000000000001 seconds or less
    to decode it ;-)
    --
    ~Travis "keep in mind i wrote a program to do the ascii conversion"

    travis57 at megalink dot net megalink.net~farmers

  12. Quoted message said:

    Probably the worst job that I had was where loosing extremities was about par for the course. How
    many times


    can

    Quoted message said:

    you tell someone "Whatever you do, never, ever, insert fingers past the protective cage and put
    them in there".

    Yeah; I was a [censored] star once too. It was terrible.

  13. Technician said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I know there is a opening at my local super wallies in the tire and lube section, but i don't
    approve of their filter selection so i won't even grace them with my skills (and trust me, from
    what i have seen, i would be able to run the show compared to the guys they have now).

    What difference does their "filter" selection make? It's.. um.. a *job*, isn't it?

    I have too much pride than to put a oil filter that has the equivalence of a piece of paper towel
    into somebodies car. I would never use that [censored] in my car, and i will drop dead before i put it
    in somebody else's.

    Travis, I swear to god, it pisses me off to read stuff like this. You know what my first job
    was? I was a dog washer for the poodle breeder next door. I shampoo'ed and blowdried
    poodles. Nasty little yappy dogs that'd just as soon bite you as look at you. Constant
    noise, heat from the dryers, loose hair blowing around, sticking to the sweat on my skin,
    going up my nose, getting in my eyes. And the smell... God, to this day the smell of baby
    shampoo and mint conditioner can make me retch. And I did that for three years; at first
    because I was really too young to work anywhere else, and I preferred it to babysitting
    other people's brats, and later because I felt sorry for the gal who owned the place. I took
    the job and kept it not because I had any great love and admiration for poodles. On the
    contrary. I worked because I wanted money of my own. I despised having to ask any time I
    wanted something my folks didn't consider a high priority item. What the hell do you care
    what other people choose to put in their car? Get off your ass and get a job. Any job. Put
    your back into it and learn to do it well. Move up and on when you get the chance. But stop
    sponging off your parents. You claim you've got "pride"? Apparently it's a pretty selective
    sort of pride. I'm starting to believe you must've been born under the Sign of the Tick.

    Kathleen

  14. Kathleen thoughtfully penned: <I snipped>

    Quoted message said:
    Technician said:
    Quoted message said:

    What difference does their "filter" selection make? It's.. um.. a *job*, isn't it?

    I have too much pride than to put a oil filter that has the equivalence of a piece of paper towel
    into somebodies car. I would never use that [censored] in my car, and i will drop dead before i put it
    in somebody else's.

    Travis, I swear to god, it pisses me off to read stuff like this. You know what my first job was?
    I was a dog washer for the poodle breeder next door. I shampoo'ed and blowdried poodles. On the
    contrary. I worked because I wanted money of my own. I despised having to ask any time I wanted
    something my folks didn't consider a high priority item. What the hell do you care what other
    people choose to put in their car? Get off your ass and get a job. Any job. Put your back into it
    and learn to do it well. Move up and on when you get the chance. But stop sponging off your
    parents. You claim you've got "pride"? Apparently it's a pretty selective sort of pride. I'm
    starting to believe you must've been born under the Sign of the Tick.

    Kathleen

    What she said. My first job was a waitress at a "Sambo's" pancake house.

    Penny

  15. "Technician" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I know there is a opening at my local super wallies in the tire and


    lube

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    section, but i don't approve of their filter selection so i won't even grace them with my
    skills (and trust me, from what i have seen, i


    would

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be able to run the show compared to the guys they have now).

    What difference does their "filter" selection make? It's.. um.. a


    *job*,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    isn't it?

    I have too much pride than to put a oil filter that has the equivalence of a piece of paper towel
    into somebodies car. I would never use that [censored] in my car, and i will drop dead before i put it
    in somebody else's.
    --

    With your qualifications as an oil filter expert it's even more amazing to me that you don't
    have a job.

  16. Pride of purpose is a great thing.. Most seem to miss out on it...

    With all due respect, From what I have gathered here, people GAVE you a decent bike, (immediately
    followed by an attempt by you to glean some disc brakes as I recall), then it was the giving of
    something that you felt you were not aknoweleged enough for, (which still escapes me.. giving is
    giving. it requires nothing else), and now you want to cry about the quality of oil filters at
    wally world..?

    For crying out loud dude, get a fu**ing life! You're leeching off of others and don't even have the
    good grace to shut up about it... This is not a perfect world by far, but you CAN make a difference
    by doing WHATEVER job you have well, and hopefully setting the satndards around you a little higher.
    Thereby making a foothold to move up.

    And Kathleen, Sorry to have piggy-backed your message, I seemed to have missed the original. Danny

    "Kathleen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Technician said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    >I know there is a opening at my local super wallies in the tire and


    lube

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >section, but i don't approve of their filter selection so i won't even grace them with my
    >skills (and trust me, from what i have seen, i would be able to run the show compared to the
    >guys they have now).

    What difference does their "filter" selection make? It's.. um.. a


    *job*,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    isn't it?

    I have too much pride than to put a oil filter that has the equivalence of a piece of paper
    towel into somebodies car. I would never use that [censored] in my car, and i will drop dead before i
    put it in somebody else's.

    Travis, I swear to god, it pisses me off to read stuff like this. You know what my first job was?
    I was a dog washer for the poodle breeder next door. I shampoo'ed and blowdried poodles. Nasty
    little yappy dogs that'd just as soon bite you as look at you. Constant noise, heat from the
    dryers, loose hair blowing around, sticking to the sweat on my skin, going up my nose, getting in
    my eyes. And the smell... God, to this day the smell of baby shampoo and mint conditioner can make
    me retch. And I did that for three years; at first because I was really too young to work anywhere
    else, and I preferred it to babysitting other people's brats, and later because I felt sorry for
    the gal who owned the place. I took the job and kept it not because I had any great love and
    admiration for poodles. On the contrary. I worked because I wanted money of my own. I despised
    having to ask any time I wanted something my folks didn't consider a high priority item. What the
    hell do you care what other people choose to put in their car? Get off your ass and get a job. Any
    job. Put your back into it and learn to do it well. Move up and on when you get the chance. But
    stop sponging off your parents. You claim you've got "pride"? Apparently it's a pretty selective
    sort of pride. I'm starting to believe you must've been born under the Sign of the Tick.

    Kathleen

  17. In article <[email hidden]>, danderson31 @kc.rr.com says...

    Quoted message said:

    And Kathleen, Sorry to have piggy-backed your message, I seemed to have missed the original. Danny

    Perhaps because i canceled it.

    and BTW, i wasn't trying to get any disk brakes. i was checking to see if it would be worth the
    effort to put disk brakes on my new stead, and i got my answer.
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net megalink.net~farmers

  18. "Technician" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The stache b'gone votes won unanimously. megalink.netstache b gone.jpg

    have a good laugh, and take notice of the slight redness of razer burn (finally got the bleeding
    to stop).
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net megalink.net~farmers


    Nip, Tuck, some smaller frames and your are set. Easiest makeover I have ever seen. Unless you want
    the [censored] job too. Hehehe

    TJ

  19. MattB said:

    "Jon Bond" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    I'm not that abnormal lookin'!

    pbase.com16968390 (second from left)

    Of course, I had to search through about 30 pictures to find a normal looking one of myself. BTW,
    one of my friend cropped that picture to just my face and threw it up on hotornot a while ago. I
    was pullin' low 9's


    for

    Quoted message said:

    a few weeks, then upper 8's when I found out about it and made him pull


    it.

    Quoted message said:


    Jon Bond

    Not too freakish. Is that your GF on the left? I'd vote for her as being hot (or at least pretty
    cute). You're not really my type (too male).

    Matt

    PS - I think I look pretty "normal". Here's me if anyone's curious:
    mattb.netme 05 03.jpg Should I change my look? Maybe get glasses or grow a
    'stache?

    na, but I do dig that early 80's Wham hair do!

  20. Penny S. said:

    Kathleen thoughtfully penned: <I snipped>

    Quoted message said:
    Technician said:

    > What difference does their "filter" selection make? It's.. um.. a *job*, isn't it?

    I have too much pride than to put a oil filter that has the equivalence of a piece of paper
    towel into somebodies car. I would never use that [censored] in my car, and i will drop dead before i
    put it in somebody else's.

    Travis, I swear to god, it pisses me off to read stuff like this. You know what my first job was?
    I was a dog washer for the poodle breeder next door. I shampoo'ed and blowdried poodles. On the
    contrary. I worked because I wanted money of my own. I despised having to ask any time I wanted
    something my folks didn't consider a high priority item. What the hell do you care what other
    people choose to put in their car? Get off your ass and get a job. Any job. Put your back into it
    and learn to do it well. Move up and on when you get the chance. But stop sponging off your
    parents. You claim you've got "pride"? Apparently it's a pretty selective sort of pride. I'm
    starting to believe you must've been born under the Sign of the Tick.

    Kathleen

    What she said. My first job was a waitress at a "Sambo's" pancake house.

    Penny

    What they said. My first job was fry cook at the local Mrs. Winners!

    Dave

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.