OT: Cable line...is it worth it?

http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ..::TBF::.. wrote:
> >

> > I signed up for this years ago when it was being run by @home in the US. When the company went
> > bust the service was returned to Rogers Cable in Canada. They never made any claimes on specific
> > speeds but did say that
it
> > was 35 to 80% faster than ADSL which it has been from day one.
> >

> Yeah, and that's probably being conservative. Any of my friends who have cable have anywhere from
> 50% to 200% faster speeds than my DSL. And if
you
> check DSLReports.com you'll see similar numbers. The two reasons I really like DSL is that it is
> very consistent, and DSL ISPs generally don't place the types of restrictions on their customers
> that cable ISPs do.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and
> hard, just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

True. Also DSL/ADSL etc are best if you plan on running any type of server software or virtual
website hosting programs. The ISP who offer those are likely to give you a static IP, whereas cable
tends to be dynamic, meaning they lease you an IP for a period of time, usually 48hrs and then it
resets. That can be a pain to adjust on server applications.

> ..::TBF::.. wrote:
> >

> > I signed up for this years ago when it was being run by @home in the US. When the company went
> > bust the service was returned to Rogers Cable in Canada. They never made any claimes on specific
> > speeds but did say that it was 35 to 80% faster than ADSL which it has been from day one.
> >

> Yeah, and that's probably being conservative. Any of my friends who have cable have anywhere from
> 50% to 200% faster speeds than my DSL. And if you check DSLReports.com you'll see similar numbers.
> The two reasons I really like DSL is that it is very consistent, and DSL ISPs generally don't
> place the types of restrictions on their customers that cable ISPs do.
>
> Greg

Is your DSL monthly bill like the telephone bill; after all the taxes and BS your $15 monthly charge
is now $25?

SBC has a $35/mo for a year contract...that seems like a pretty good deal, but it's a dynamic
IP....could this be a problem?
--
Slacker

Ruger9 wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 19:56:14 -0800, "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >It's that much better. I have PacBell ADSL, upload and download both clock at 1.2Mbps+
>
> It varies with location, but my cable modem is 10Mbps.
>
> ELi

Shared with everybody else on the loop.

DSL is YOUR bandwidth back to the central office. What the provider does upstream can kill either
type of service, but DSL dosen't have to slow down when the rest of the users jump on, cable modems,
with shared bandwith, will slow down.

Barry

> > > Not unheard of. I live in Toronto, Ontario and my home is about 5 minutes drive from the relay
> > > hub for city. My transfer rates are through the roof. I can download a 500 MB file in about 10
> > > to 15 minutes.
> > >
> > > As mentioned, it's all in the way your ISP configures the service, and combined with the
> > > distance and number of users who share the feed.
> > >
> > > Also, usage spikes at various times of day. If you surf late at night or early in the day, the
> > > speed usually averages 40 to 60 kps for most people I know around here.
> >

> > Hey BF,
> >
> > Does your ISP guarantee you a minimum transfer rate and is there any way
> of knowing what the actually rate would be at a given area
> > before signing up??
> > --
> > Slacker
> >

> I signed up for this years ago when it was being run by @home in the US. When the company went
> bust the service was returned to Rogers Cable in Canada. They never made any claimes on specific
> speeds but did say that it was 35 to 80% faster than ADSL which it has been from day one.
>
> The minimum transfer rate is 35Kps, but like anything that was subject to change, and at time my
> downloads get down to around that level (rarely though).
>
> You can't hold them to transfer speeds because those are condition dependent. BUT you can hold
> them to transfer caps!

Righto....just found this from a local DSL provider:

"Are SBC DSL Internet Access speeds guaranteed?

The actual throughput rate that a customer receives may be impacted by conditions on the Internet.
Southwestern Bell Internet Services will make every attempt to connect the customer's service at the
optioned speed. It is important to note that SBC DSL Internet Access is provided with a best-effort
(Unspecified Bit Rate) Quality of Service on the ATM backbone, and as such, does not guarantee a
specific constant or throughput rate."

Bastards, it's like no matter what the conditions or lack of performance there are no standards for
quality just like those damn cell phones!
--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:

> Is your DSL monthly bill like the telephone bill; after all the taxes and BS your $15 monthly
> charge is now $25?

Not counting the 9 months I was triple-billed for my DSL it shows up on the bill as advertised, no
hidden charges.

> SBC has a $35/mo for a year contract...that seems like a pretty good deal, but it's a dynamic
> IP....could this be a problem?

Only if you want to run a web or e-mail server at home. Then it's a minor annoyance.

Greg

BB wrote:

>>I have triple opti' at the office which is linked to my home office pc, but for personal use,
>>cable beats anything out there.
>

> "Triple opti'"?

Cuh! You obviously know nothing about networking...

:)

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 20:57:36 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> scribbled:

>BB wrote:
>
>>>I have triple opti' at the office which is linked to my home office pc, but for personal use,
>>>cable beats anything out there.
>>

>> "Triple opti'"?
>
>Cuh! You obviously know nothing about networking...
>
>:)

OC3, woo! (Layman's terms = it's really frickin' fast)

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"

- The Onion

Slash wrote:

> OC3, woo!

<yawn>

> (Layman's terms = it's really frickin' fast)

You havn't experinced speed 'till you've sat on a Sun Enterprise hanging off an OC-48

--
johng wq!

--
http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Slash wrote:
>
> > OC3, woo!
>
> <yawn>
>

> > (Layman's terms = it's really frickin' fast)
>
> You havn't experinced speed 'till you've sat on a Sun Enterprise hanging off an OC-48
>

> --
> johng wq!

Oh but I have bright boy, our office used to run on that server system but we didn't need the speed
and got the oc3 at nearly half the cost. ncie setup thugh if ya got the bucks!

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 20:48:37 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> scribbled:

>Slash wrote:
>
>> OC3, woo!
>
><yawn>
>

>> (Layman's terms = it's really frickin' fast)
>
>You havn't experinced speed 'till you've sat on a Sun Enterprise hanging off an OC-48

What, no OC768 splurge? Come on, 40Gbit, you know you want it...

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"

- The Onion