UK and Europe · Public discussion

[OT] Food labelling

Started by John Hearns · · Last activity · 34 posts · 1,036 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
22 October 2005
Last activity
26 October 2005
Original author
John Hearns
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,036
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–34 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. vernon said:
    Quoted message said:

    On no... We had this one discussed a couple of months ago.
    Please don't let it kick off again.


    so this isn't the uk.re.cycling forum ? ;-)

    Warning: uk.rec.cycling may be nuts

    Nutty yours
    Bo

  2. "Martin Dann" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>

    Clive George said:

    "Måns Rullgård" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The label on the jar of orange marmalade in my fridge informs me that
    the contents are kosher, vegetarian, and gluten free. I could never
    have guessed.

    Which reminds me that cheese doritos aren't vegetarian, but the beef and
    onion, prawn cocktail, roast chicken and smoky bacon crisps are.

    Many cheeses contain an extract of blood, which helps in the cheese
    making process. (I think it help the cheese set).

    Yes, rennet.

    However vegetarian cheese is made quite happily with non-animal rennet -
    indeed I've heard that a great deal more cheese is vegetarian than is
    labelled as such, but producers quite like the premium the vegetarian label
    gets.

    OTOH I believe the non-animal version is often GM (checks - yup). Personally
    I don't have a problem with engineering microbes (typically yeast or
    bacteria) to produce proteins - indeed I depend on such proteins to stay
    alive. (however there are other uses of GM I don't think are great).

    http://www.vegsoc.org/info/cheese.html

    But I was mostly amused by the list of flavours :-)

    cheers,
    clive

  3. Tosspot said:
    John Hearns said:

    Coffee and toast for breakfast this morning.
    I read the butter wrapper - "Contains Milk"
    I despair...

    My favourite, unrelated, but anyone who flys BA, next time look at the
    life jacket during the safety demo. "Put Head Through Hole", honest,
    you have a look.

    I work at East sussex County HAll in Lewes and they thoughtfully
    provide some showers. On the INSIDE of the shower cubicle there is a
    notice that says "Warning, floor may be wet". I would take a photo but
    there isnt enough space.

    Stan Cox

  4. Stan Cox said:
    Tosspot said:
    John Hearns said:

    Coffee and toast for breakfast this morning.
    I read the butter wrapper - "Contains Milk"
    I despair...

    My favourite, unrelated, but anyone who flys BA, next time look at the
    life jacket during the safety demo. "Put Head Through Hole", honest,
    you have a look.

    I work at East sussex County HAll in Lewes and they thoughtfully provide
    some showers. On the INSIDE of the shower cubicle there is a notice that
    says "Warning, floor may be wet". I would take a photo but there isnt
    enough space.

    LOL. That's precious. I like the use of 'may'. Like your standing in
    it dry, perhaps thinking these mew-fangled showers are brilliant, they
    don't even use water!

  5. On 22 Oct 2005 17:54:35 -0700, "Bo-En Lo" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    vernon said:
    Quoted message said:

    On no... We had this one discussed a couple of months ago.
    Please don't let it kick off again.


    so this isn't the uk.re.cycling forum ? ;-)

    Warning: uk.rec.cycling may be nuts


    In Sainsbury's yesterday I saw a bag of nuts labelled "You are what
    you eat".

    --
    Frank Erskine
    Sunderland

  6. Tosspot said:
    Quoted message said:

    I work at East sussex County HAll in Lewes and they thoughtfully provide
    some showers. On the INSIDE of the shower cubicle there is a notice that
    says "Warning, floor may be wet". I would take a photo but there isnt
    enough space.

    LOL. That's precious. I like the use of 'may'. Like your standing in
    it dry, perhaps thinking these mew-fangled showers are brilliant, they
    don't even use water!

    Haven't you heard? There's a drought.

    Do try and keep up ;-)

    John B

  7. Frank Erskine <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    On 22 Oct 2005 17:54:35 -0700, "Bo-En Lo" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    vernon said:

    > On no... We had this one discussed a couple of months ago.
    > Please don't let it kick off again.
    >
    so this isn't the uk.re.cycling forum ? ;-)

    Warning: uk.rec.cycling may be nuts


    In Sainsbury's yesterday I saw a bag of nuts labelled "You are what
    you eat".

    CLOFF!

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  8. Saxman said:
    Tumbleweed said:

    Bollocks, this isnt France with use of 'Le Weekend' or some other
    non-approved word or phrase making you liable for a fine. Languages
    change, English perhaps more than most, and 'may' may or might also
    be used to mean 'might'.

    may
    ¡X USAGE When expressing or asking permission, may is regarded as more
    correct. ¡X ORIGIN Old English.

    might1
    Used to express possibility or make a suggestion.

    From the Oxford English dictionary, so BOLLOCKS to you and don't show
    your ignorance.

    Always a good idea to check more than one source.

    From Chambers:

    may: auxiliary verb expressing ability, possibility or contingency,
    permission or
    competence, probability, concession, purpose or result, a wish, or
    uncertainty (used with infinitive without to)

    From the compact OED

    may: modal verb (3rd sing. present may; past might) 1 expressing
    possibility. 2 expressing permission. 3 expressing a wish or hope.

    Tim

  9. Tim Downie said:


    Always a good idea to check more than one source.

    From Chambers:

    may: auxiliary verb expressing ability, possibility or contingency,
    permission or
    competence, probability, concession, purpose or result, a wish, or
    uncertainty (used with infinitive without to)

    From the compact OED

    may: modal verb (3rd sing. present may; past might) 1 expressing
    possibility. 2 expressing permission. 3 expressing a wish or hope.

    Which is further reinforced by the full OED:

    7. Expressing present subjective possibility, i.e. the admissibility of
    a supposition, in a direct or indirect statement.
    From the late Middle English period senses 7a and 7b contrasted with
    the use of might expressing both the past subjective possibility of a
    situation (sense 18a; originally in indirect statements) and the present
    subjective possibility of a past situation (sense 18b; this function was
    taken over by sense 7c). Subsequently there arose a use of might in
    virtually indistinguishable contexts, but having the possibility of
    greater tentativeness (sense 26).

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon

  10. Stan Cox <[email hidden]> wrote:
    | I work at East sussex County HAll in Lewes and they thoughtfully
    | provide some showers. On the INSIDE of the shower cubicle there is a
    | notice that says "Warning, floor may be wet". I would take a photo but
    | there isnt enough space.

    There's a playing field near here -- it might be the St Catherine's
    College one -- which has a gate into a lane from Mesopotamia -- not
    that one, the one by the new Islamic centre -- with signs on the
    gate that say (on each side) "USE THIS GATE". It doesn't tell you
    what to use it for, though.

    You can tell where Lewis Carroll got the idea from.

  11. Clive George said:

    "Martin Dann" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Many cheeses contain an extract of blood, which helps in the cheese
    making process. (I think it help the cheese set).

    Yes, rennet.

    Indeed - it's not from blood though, but calves' stomachs
    --
    Carol
    "This might as well say "bing tiddle tiddle bong".
    It's complete gibberish!" - Rodney McKay, Stargate Atlantis

  12. Frank Erskine said:

    On 22 Oct 2005 17:54:35 -0700, "Bo-En Lo" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    vernon said:

    > On no... We had this one discussed a couple of months ago.
    > Please don't let it kick off again.
    >
    so this isn't the uk.re.cycling forum ? ;-)

    Warning: uk.rec.cycling may be nuts


    In Sainsbury's yesterday I saw a bag of nuts labelled "You are what
    you eat".

    Heh. Reminds me of that Two Ronnies sketch :- "Your nuts, milord...."

    --
    Carol
    "This might as well say "bing tiddle tiddle bong".
    It's complete gibberish!" - Rodney McKay, Stargate Atlantis

  13. Carol Hague said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    In Sainsbury's yesterday I saw a bag of nuts labelled "You are what
    you eat".

    Heh. Reminds me of that Two Ronnies sketch :- "Your nuts, milord...."

    And the Wallace & Gromit I've just been watching.

    -adrian

  14. Adrian Godwin said:
    Carol Hague said:
    Quoted message said:

    >
    In Sainsbury's yesterday I saw a bag of nuts labelled "You are what
    you eat".

    Heh. Reminds me of that Two Ronnies sketch :- "Your nuts, milord...."

    And the Wallace & Gromit I've just been watching.

    -adrian

    PC McIntosh: If you ask me, this was arson.
    Townspeople: [gasp]
    PC McIntosh: Yeah. Someone arsin' around!

    An absolutely wonderful film!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.