General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

OT Gas Prices ( New Information)

Started by Dimitri · · Last activity · 40 posts · 980 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 September 2005
Last activity
5 September 2005
Original author
Dimitri
Posts
40
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
980
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 40
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Are like the weather - everyone [censored] about it and no one can do a damn thing
    about it.

    Feel Impotent?

    You are!

    Dimitri

  2. "Dimitri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Are like the weather - everyone [censored] about it and no one can do a damn
    thing about it.

    Feel Impotent?

    You are!

    Dimitri

    Trying to cheer us up, are you?

    --
    Peter Aitken

  3. My friend with the Jetta TDI doesn't seem to be [censored] quite as loud
    as all the people with Super-sized McSuvs.

    Dean G.

  4. "Peter Aitken" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Dimitri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Are like the weather - everyone [censored] about it and no one can do a damn
    thing about it.

    Feel Impotent?

    You are!

    Dimitri

    Trying to cheer us up, are you?

    --
    Peter Aitken

    Sure why not - One you accept the facts and realize there is little you can
    really do about it you can stop the mental masturbation and go on to productive
    areas of one's life.

    ;-)

    Dimitri

  5. "Dimitri" in news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Are like the weather - everyone [censored] about it and no one can do a damn
    thing about it.

    Feel Impotent?

    You are!

    With all _due_ respect Dimitri such a comment is nonsense, as follows. Not
    all, but many, people have a say in how much, and what, they drive I know
    several in the US who moved to efficient gas-electric hybrids in the last
    five years. Previous petroleum squeezes awoke US consumers and they chose
    different habits and different vehicles. I posted something on the early
    newsgroup net.flame (so useful! alas ...) on the practicality of bicycles
    (23 Sep 1983). People love to deny actual power they exercise incessantly
    through choices. Other factors operate too. One US economic historian
    wrote several years ago:

    --------
    As bitterly resented as the gasoline lines of the 1970s were under
    government price controls, there were widespread predictions of skyrocketing
    gasoline prices if these controls were abolished. ... Senator Dale Bumpers
    predicted, "gasoline will soon go to USD $3 a gallon." [Note that's 1970s
    USD $3 -- I found 2.76 US inflation index 1979 to 2004 so this price
    represents $8 a gallon in today's dollars.] Airs of condescension pervaded
    criticisms of those who believed otherwise and who relied on a free market.
    [Example from New York Times omitted.] [Example from President Jimmy Carter
    omitted.] ... [Price controls subsquently ended under new President.]
    Within four months, the average price of a gallon of unleaded gasoline fell
    from $1.41 to $0.86 . Refineries' average cost of buying crude oil fell from
    more than $30 a barrel in 1981 to less than half of that by 1986. Contrary
    to predictions of oil or gasoline shortages by President Carter's energy
    secretary James Schlesinger, by Senator Bumpers, and others, the world's
    known crude oil reserves were 41 percent higher at the end of the 1980s than
    at the beginning.

    [Not from online. Author cited source data.]
    --------

    "Why don't people learn from such things?" is the real question, I feel.

    (I wonder also how many in the US now "[censored]" bought SUVs when those
    became fashionable.)

    -- Max

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dimitri said:

    Are like the weather - everyone [censored] about it and no one can do a damn
    thing
    about it.

    Feel Impotent?

    You are!

    Dimitri

    Bite me. ;-)
    I knew that, did not need my nosed rubbed in it.

    <sigh>

    So, do you feel better now?

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  7. "Dimitri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Are like the weather - everyone [censored] about it and no one can do a damn
    thing about it.

    Feel Impotent?

    You are!

    Pretty much, except ... take my neighbors, I like them very much, but they
    do one errand at a time. I have a friend who is the same way, back and
    forth to the house and whatever store. A little organization can cut down
    on the number of trips.

    Perhaps switch your shopping/whatever sources to places local to each
    other so you can pick up the cleaning, go to the bank, shop for food,
    without having to drive all over the place.

    If you run out at lunch to get something to eat, how about bring lunch and
    save yourself some gas.

    Obviously if you can, work from home a couple of days a week; yes, I
    know, that is not an option for many people.

    I think most people can make some adjustments to cut down on their gas
    compsumption.

    But, for the most part, yup, we're stuck. (smile)

    nancy

  8. "Max Hauser" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Dimitri" in news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Are like the weather - everyone [censored] about it and no one can do a damn
    thing about it.

    Feel Impotent?

    You are!

    With all _due_ respect Dimitri such a comment is nonsense, as follows. Not
    all, but many, people have a say in how much, and what, they drive I know
    several in the US who moved to efficient gas-electric hybrids in the last five
    years. Previous petroleum squeezes awoke US consumers and they chose
    different habits and different vehicles.

    Essentially, the public and drive whatever they want - the effect of the "
    American Driver" on the price of gas and crude is nil. If we don't buy it the
    Chinese will and they'll probably out bid us as well. The simple fact is today
    the demand for petroleum and petrochemical products is insatiable as is our
    overall desire for energy.

    Dimitri

  9. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps switch your shopping/whatever sources to places local to
    each other so you can pick up the cleaning, go to the bank, shop
    for food, without having to drive all over the place.

    I usually do that anyway.

    Quoted message said:

    If you run out at lunch to get something to eat, how about bring
    lunch and save yourself some gas.

    I work downtown. Food providers are all around...no need to drive.

    Quoted message said:

    Obviously if you can, work from home a couple of days a week; yes,
    I know, that is not an option for many people.

    Not possible. Job requires constant interaction with fellow
    employees, clients, resources and managers.

    Quoted message said:

    I think most people can make some adjustments to cut down on their
    gas compsumption.

    You forgot:

    Walk to work if you can.

    Take public transit.

    Move closer to your work. If you live in an apartment and your lease
    is coming up, consider moving closer to work if this is possible.

    Car pool.

    When travelling between cities that are relatively close, take the
    train. Trains are much more economical in fuel consumption than
    cars, buses or airplanes.

    If possible switch to a non fossil-fuel based heat source
    (electricity, biomass...)

    Encourage soft energy initiatives in your immediate area,
    particularly wind generators which can alleviate the need to burn
    fossil fuels for electricity (which I believe still happens in some
    parts of the US and Western Canada). Also, create cooperatives to
    distribute electricity to your neighbourhood.

    Pressure the big poobah to sign the Kyoto Agreement and put measures
    into place to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

    Canada has initiated a programme called the One-tonne Challenge which
    calls upon citizens to reduce GHG by one tonne per person per year.
    As the average person creates 5 tonnes of GHG in a year, reducing the
    consumption by one tonne means cutting back on 20% of GHG producing
    activities and of course one of them (the big one) is vehicle fuel
    consumption.

    http://www.climatechange.gc.ca/onetonne/english/index.asp

    Of course, like most government programs, it doesn't address the real
    issue which is that the other four tonnes are still creating a
    problem, but hey, it's what is called a "prise de conscience" and for
    some people, it will be a substantial lifestyle change.

    Back in the 70's, I was a writer for a government sponsored
    initiative to get people to cut back on energy consumption. To this
    day, some of the people that were in touch with us still use the
    measures they were given back then, mostly heating through biomass
    (wood).

    Doing the right thing is never wasted, unlike what George suggested.

    --

    "Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

    Dostoevski, The Idiot

  10. Sorry, didn't fill in the story very well. US shifts in vehicles and habits
    mentioned earlier contributed to the famous 1980s oil-price collapse, so
    visible indirectly in places like Texas -- I remember seeing the new office
    buildings remaining vacant -- owners offering a year free for a tenant who
    would lease ... The history and the effects of consumer choices are out
    there, for those who actually want to read about them.

  11. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Pretty much, except ... take my neighbors, I like them very much, but they
    do one errand at a time. I have a friend who is the same way, back and
    forth to the house and whatever store. A little organization can cut down
    on the number of trips.

    Forget about gas that's just common sence and a good use of time.

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps switch your shopping/whatever sources to places local to each
    other so you can pick up the cleaning, go to the bank, shop for food,
    without having to drive all over the place.

    See above - just make the grocery store last (so the ice cream won't melt)

    Quoted message said:


    If you run out at lunch to get something to eat, how about bring lunch and
    save yourself some gas.

    They poened a costco across the street...

    Quoted message said:

    Obviously if you can, work from home a couple of days a week; yes, I
    know, that is not an option for many people.

    Wish I could - I like working in shorts and a T shirt

    Quoted message said:

    I think most people can make some adjustments to cut down on their gas
    compsumption.

    You bet - but not till it hurts.

    Quoted message said:

    But, for the most part, yup, we're stuck. (smile)

    nancy

    Boy how I wish I was wrong.

    Dimitri

  12. "Max Hauser" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry, didn't fill in the story very well. US shifts in vehicles and habits
    mentioned earlier contributed to the famous 1980s oil-price collapse, so
    visible indirectly in places like Texas -- I remember seeing the new office
    buildings remaining vacant -- owners offering a year free for a tenant who
    would lease ... The history and the effects of consumer choices are out
    there, for those who actually want to read about them.

    I remember some of the finest Hotels running at 10% & 15 % occupancy. I would
    walk into a bar - you'd think I was the King of someplace special the way I was
    greeted and catered to.

    Dimitri.

  13. "Michel Boucher" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps switch your shopping/whatever sources to places local to
    each other so you can pick up the cleaning, go to the bank, shop
    for food, without having to drive all over the place.

    I usually do that anyway.

    I am sure you do, not everyone does. These were only suggestions
    on *how* people might cut down on their gas bill.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you run out at lunch to get something to eat, how about bring
    lunch and save yourself some gas.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think most people can make some adjustments to cut down on their
    gas compsumption.

    You forgot:

    I'll pretend I'm someone else who does work, because otherwise
    my answers would be similar to yours, 'doesn't apply to me'.

    Quoted message said:

    Walk to work if you can.

    Out of the question. Even the places where *maybe* they'd
    have work for me, it would be a stretch to think I could walk
    there. Never mind it's pretty much a stretch for me to walk to
    the kitchen these days, but that's another subject.

    Quoted message said:

    Take public transit.

    None. Zip. Zero.

    Quoted message said:

    Move closer to your work. If you live in an apartment and your lease
    is coming up, consider moving closer to work if this is possible.

    Don't forget the topic at hand. Gas prices and how to cut them to
    save money. The subject had to do with the price of gas and how there
    is nothing we can do about it. So, I fail to see how moving, an extremely
    expensive undertaking, would benefit me financially. I would never
    recoup my gas savings. Ever.

    Never mind I'd now be living someplace I hate, but that, too, is
    another topic.

    Quoted message said:

    Car pool.

    Very difficult to do with the work schedules and the home schedules
    of different people who would work where I do. Not completely
    out of the question, but there are not enough people around here,
    really, who work out there.

    Quoted message said:

    When travelling between cities that are relatively close, take the
    train. Trains are much more economical in fuel consumption than
    cars, buses or airplanes.

    Can't argue with that. As much as I dislike public transportation
    (I grew up waiting for buses and trains and I just hate it), I do
    try to take the train when going to Manhattan. Even that involves
    maybe an 8 mile drive to the train station.

    Quoted message said:

    If possible switch to a non fossil-fuel based heat source
    (electricity, biomass...)

    Electricity is expensive. We are talking about gas prices.
    I keep my electric bill lower by having time-of-day service
    where I can run the pool filter, etc, at night or on the
    weekends. That to me compares apples and apples in
    trying to save money on whatever commodity.

    Save money, not the commodity. Sorry to be a pain, I'm
    just making sure we don't forget the origin of this thread, it's
    about saving money on gas.

    Quoted message said:

    Encourage soft energy initiatives in your immediate area,
    particularly wind generators which can alleviate the need to burn
    fossil fuels for electricity (which I believe still happens in some
    parts of the US and Western Canada). Also, create cooperatives to
    distribute electricity to your neighbourhood.

    They are talking about windmills in the ocean, there are objections
    I haven't followed. I'll read it next time the subject comes up.

    Quoted message said:

    Pressure the big poobah to sign the Kyoto Agreement and put measures
    into place to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

    I can't fathom why people think he has the power to decide that, it's
    a whole big machine behind the guy ... think Wizard of Oz. I know
    you know that.

    Quoted message said:

    Back in the 70's, I was a writer for a government sponsored
    initiative to get people to cut back on energy consumption. To this
    day, some of the people that were in touch with us still use the
    measures they were given back then, mostly heating through biomass
    (wood).

    Then we'll be back to the pollution thing, and even otherwise, that's
    a whole big thing to get into.

  14. Nancy Young wrote on 02 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Never mind it's pretty much a stretch for me to walk to
    the kitchen these days, but that's another subject.

    Psst! I'll meet you in the hall...I have a chair there.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  15. On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 18:04:06 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email hidden]>
    connected the dots and wrote:

    ~Are like the weather - everyone [censored] about it and no one can do a
    damn thing
    ~about it.
    ~
    ~Feel Impotent?
    ~
    ~You are!
    ~
    ~Dimitri
    ~

    Especially since this week my Mom came home from the rehab center, and
    my sister is in the process of organizing her house for a move up tot
    he Boston area, so I've been up and back more times than a commuter
    this week, packing , staying with Mom, watching the prices go up and
    up and up, and today, finally, most of them went down a few pennies.

    Glad she's home now, but dang, what a bad time for it.

    maxine in ri

  16. "Michel Boucher" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    If possible switch to a non fossil-fuel based heat source
    (electricity, biomass...)

    The majority of electricity in this country is fossil fuel generated. The
    tree huggers are fighting nuclear, wind farms and other alternative methods.
    Solar, however, should be pushed much more.

  17. "Dimitri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    Wish I could - I like working in shorts and a T shirt

    I do all the time in summer. So does the president and vice president. I
    used to have to wear a tie at my last job doing the same work.

  18. On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 18:04:06 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Are like the weather - everyone [censored] about it and no one can do a damn thing
    about it.

    Feel Impotent?

    You are!

    What I absolutely Do Not Get is, that the gas stations had their
    big-assed tanks full of gas on, say, Monday, which are still full of
    the same gas on, say, Friday, and they jack the price up with the same
    gas in their tanks that they had on Monday?

    Someone puhleeze educate me on how the gas I bought on Monday at
    $3.05.9 was $3.25.09 today? (This is SoCal - the home of the USA's
    highest gas prices, for reasons that escape me - insofar as we have
    *4* count 'em, *4* refineries in SoCal.),

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
    old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
    waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."

    -- Duncan Hines

    To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

  19. Squeaks said:

    What I absolutely Do Not Get is, that the gas stations had their
    big-assed tanks full of gas on, say, Monday, which are still full of
    the same gas on, say, Friday, and they jack the price up with the same
    gas in their tanks that they had on Monday?

    Someone puhleeze educate me on how the gas I bought on Monday at
    $3.05.9 was $3.25.09 today? (This is SoCal - the home of the USA's
    highest gas prices, for reasons that escape me - insofar as we have
    *4* count 'em, *4* refineries in SoCal.),

    The gas in those tanks is being sold at a rate commensurate with at least
    these two figures (though there are probably other things taken into
    consideration):

    1. What it will cost to fill those big-assed tanks when all the gas in them
    has been sold.

    2. What people are willing to pay for gas.

    In this case, since the gas station owner will have to spend more to fill
    his tanks, he has to charge more NOW so that he'll be able to afford it.

    Bob

  20. Terry Pulliam Burd said:

    What I absolutely Do Not Get is, that the gas stations had their
    big-assed tanks full of gas on, say, Monday, which are still full of
    the same gas on, say, Friday, and they jack the price up with the same
    gas in their tanks that they had on Monday?

    Some places in NYC have been raising their prices several times a day.
    NYC is going to pass a law that they can only raise them once a day,
    but it will take time. In the meantime, I saw a difference of 30
    cents/gal between two stations across the street from each other
    yesterday.

    Coincidentally, I took my long-dormant bicycle to the shop to be made
    road-ready last week, before all of this happened. (though yesterday
    was too hot to retrieve it).

    Gas prices will alter my travel plans, but I'm more worried about
    winter heating.

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.