OT: Geek boasting points

Tony Raven

Guest
Last night I am been mostly chatting with Len Bosack and Sandy Lerner.

--
Tony

Anon

> Last night I am been mostly chatting with Len Bosack and Sandy Lerner.
>
> --
> Tony
>
> "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
> Anon

Gosh - and it's not OT, it's all about routes (and routers)...

G.

> Last night I am been mostly chatting with Len Bosack and Sandy Lerner.

Hah,
seven years ago, I met Bill Gates in Lisbon (Microsoft flew me there) and I
took £10,000 off him.
Conversation quality was rather poor.

Vernon

vernon wrote:
> Hah,
> seven years ago, I met Bill Gates in Lisbon (Microsoft flew me there) and I
> took £10,000 off him.

Threatened to spill the beans on his links with Satan, Al Quaeda and the
Secret Cabal That Rules The World?

Jon

> Threatened to spill the beans on his links with Satan, Al Quaeda and the
> Secret Cabal That Rules The World?

Nah, I wrote a school website that was judged to be the best entry in the
UK.
Got flown out to Lisbon buisiness class, put up in a £200 per night hotel
along
with other European winners. Had two days at Expo '98 including the award
ceremony and had a pretty good time overall. Fell out with my school when
the management tried to tell me how to spend the money that I had 'earned'
through six months of labour in my own time.

Have refused to write a web site for the school since then. I've been left
alone
since a deputy tried to do web site work and found what a drain on personal
resources it was.

Ironically I won the prize (Microsoft Road Ahead) having only use one
Microsoft
product - the operating system.

vernon wrote:
>>Threatened to spill the beans on his links with Satan, Al Quaeda and the
>>Secret Cabal That Rules The World?
>>

> Nah, I wrote a school website that was judged to be the best entry in the
> UK.

Wrote good website, get to meet Bill? That's like implementing CO2
reductions and getting to meet George Bush...

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/

in message <[email protected]>, Nick Kew
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Mark Tranchant wrote:
>
>> Wrote good website, get to meet Bill? That's like implementing CO2
>> reductions and getting to meet George Bush...

> "Judged to be .."
>
> It's the luvvies who go around awarding prizes for websites.
> Geeks just call awards the warning label - it's a sign that
> a site is unlikely to work for anyone but the deezyner.

I once got asked - by the Internet Society - to act as 'technical judge'
an international childrens' website competition. Great fun, and some
frighteningly bright kids. And some /very/ good websites (this is the
year I was judge:
<URL:http://www.thinkquest.org/library/winners.html?year=2000&cid=1>)

However, generally I agree with you. Most web design competitions are
judged by people without the least semblance of a clue.

See one nuclear war, you've seen them all.

dkahn400 wrote:

> As a generalisation that may be a valid point. I think posting it so
> closely under Vernon's message, however, is a bit off. :-(

Hmmm, s'pose so. It was the unlikely associations - nothing to do with
any particular site - that brought on the posting.

FWIW I treat "you have won ..." messages as spam.

--
Nick Kew