[OT] Is it Snowing Where You Are?

Pyromancer <[email protected]> wrote:

: Next year I think I'll investigate the gearing options, if today's
: experiences bear out. The fastest I can sensibly pedal the bike just
: now is 18mph, would be nice to cruise faster than that on the level,
: againsterlies permitting.

Even on a MTB, this means you are pedaling way too slowly. Now you've
got your saddle up, work on spinning your legs faster. It'll seem odd
at first but does work.

Arthur

"Remember, there's no such thing as a nice pasta salad" -
Nigel Slater.

" [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Forecasts have been vaguely forecasting snow around the place. Any
> sign of it near you? There's not a cat's chance of me (ever) seeing
> any here in the sunny strawberry fields on the South Coast, so I await
> reports with great envy.

No snow here in Watford, though some work colleagues mentioned that
nearby Hitchin has had snow. Was on the phone to Dad last night, and
they've had snow back home (Wolverhampton); after calling my parents,
spoke to my girlfriend in Canterbury, and she said that East Kent was
snow-free (but windy and pouring with rain).
Might not have had any snow here, but definitely a cold snap - more
than a bit parky (no, not the chat show host) on the ride into work
today.

David E. Belcher

" [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Forecasts have been vaguely forecasting snow around the place. Any
> sign of it near you? There's not a cat's chance of me (ever) seeing
> any here in the sunny strawberry fields on the South Coast, so I await
> reports with great envy.

We've got a couple of cm of snow in Lerwick, with more on
the way, apparently.

[Not Responding] said:
Forecasts have been vaguely forecasting snow around the place. Any
sign of it near you? There's not a cat's chance of me (ever) seeing
any here in the sunny strawberry fields on the South Coast, so I await
reports with great envy.
We've had some snow on the local hills. It looks nice but its horribly cold cycling, my poor toes were screeming with the cold when I got home yesterday:(

Margaret McC wrote:
> '[Not Responding Wrote:
>> ']Forecasts have been vaguely forecasting snow around the
>> place. Any sign of it near you? There's not a cat's chance of
>> me (ever) seeing any here in the sunny strawberry fields on
>> the South Coast, so I await reports with great envy.

> We've had some snow on the local hills. It looks nice but its
> horribly cold cycling, my poor toes were screeming with the
> cold when I got home yesterday:(

You just need thicker socks :)

A friend I work beside is going ice climbing on Ben Nevis tomorrow, I'd like
to go with him but he was heading up there today and I couldn't get the day
off, apart from that I can't be bothered with the 4:00am start he was
planning.
--
Mark

1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:11:43 +0000, " [Not Responding] "
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Forecasts have been vaguely forecasting snow around the place. Any
>sign of it near you? There's not a cat's chance of me (ever) seeing
>any here in the sunny strawberry fields on the South Coast, so I await
>reports with great envy.

What's up? Not cold enough for you? It took a good 20 minutes to get
any feeling back in my toes when I got in this evening.

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Arthur
Clune <[email protected]> gently breathed:
>Pyromancer <[email protected]> wrote:

>: Next year I think I'll investigate the gearing options, if today's
>: experiences bear out. The fastest I can sensibly pedal the bike just
>: now is 18mph, would be nice to cruise faster than that on the level,
>: againsterlies permitting.

>Even on a MTB, this means you are pedaling way too slowly. Now you've
>got your saddle up, work on spinning your legs faster. It'll seem odd
>at first but does work.

At some point I want to get one of the bike computers that does cadence,
to replace the seven quid fifty cheapie speedo I'm using at the moment,
might try it then. Still think I need a bigger gear for flat out,
though I don't want to lose the low ratios I've got for going up really
steep hills. What's the best way to do this - bigger big chainring and
leave the others as they are? I assume at some point the difference in
ring size will make changing gears harder?

--
- Pyromancer Stormshadow.
http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!

"Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Arthur Clune
> <[email protected]> gently breathed:
>>Pyromancer <[email protected]> wrote:

>>: Next year I think I'll investigate the gearing options, if today's
>>: experiences bear out. The fastest I can sensibly pedal the bike just
>>: now is 18mph, would be nice to cruise faster than that on the level,
>>: againsterlies permitting.

>>Even on a MTB, this means you are pedaling way too slowly. Now you've
>>got your saddle up, work on spinning your legs faster. It'll seem odd
>>at first but does work.

> At some point I want to get one of the bike computers that does cadence,
> to replace the seven quid fifty cheapie speedo I'm using at the moment,
> might try it then. Still think I need a bigger gear for flat out, though
> I don't want to lose the low ratios I've got for going up really steep
> hills. What's the best way to do this - bigger big chainring and leave
> the others as they are? I assume at some point the difference in ring
> size will make changing gears harder?

I was thinking of this too, but I assumed I'd have to change the whole front
set to allow for gear changing.

druidh

Pyromancer <[email protected]> wrote:
: to replace the seven quid fifty cheapie speedo I'm using at the moment,
: might try it then. Still think I need a bigger gear for flat out,

From what you say, you don't. Really, try it: once you get used to spinning
a smaller gear, you'll go faster, longer for less effort. Surely a good
thing?

Just in case though, count the number of teeth on the large front ring. It'll
be either 42 or 44 (common) or maybe 46 or 48 (rarer). The count the
teeth on the smallest rear cog. This will be either 11, 12 or 13. Then
we can work out different speeds in your top gear for different
cadences so you can work backwards from your gear and speed to see
how fast you are pedaling.