UK and Europe · Public discussion

OT-ish: Road Fund License

Started by davek · · Last activity · 231 posts · 5,505 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
8 November 2005
Last activity
17 November 2005
Original author
davek
Posts
231
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,505
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 231
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I need to buy a new car[1] asap so have been spending much time recently
    going round dealerships and looking at brochures. In my research I have
    noted that car dealers universally refer to VED as "road fund license".
    Now, this might not have bothered me so much in the past, but since I've
    been subscribing to URC and have taken part in various heated debates on
    who "owns" (ie pays for) the public highway, I have found this small but
    significant detail really anoying.

    So far, I haven't had the gall to correct any of the salesmen I have
    spoken to, but that's only because I need them on my side for the time
    being.

    d.

    1. Obviously, I would rather spend the money on a fleet of HPVs - I'm
    sure I could get enough different bikes, trikes and other forms of
    pedal-powered transport to suit my various needs on the same budget that
    would buy a small family hatchback, but alas I don't think I could
    persuade my wife of the merits of that policy. :-(

  2. "davek" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I need to buy a new car[1] asap so have been spending much time recently
    going round dealerships and looking at brochures. In my research I have
    noted that car dealers universally refer to VED as "road fund license".

    It was once just that, and the term has stuck in the minds of certain folk.
    A lot of them will probably still refer to the V5C as the "Log Book", which
    is also an obsolete term which is still used in common parlance.

    --
    Matt B

  3. davek said:

    I need to buy a new car[1] asap so have been spending much time recently
    going round dealerships and looking at brochures. In my research I have
    noted that car dealers universally refer to VED as "road fund license".
    Now, this might not have bothered me so much in the past, but since I've
    been subscribing to URC and have taken part in various heated debates on
    who "owns" (ie pays for) the public highway, I have found this small but
    significant detail really anoying.

    So far, I haven't had the gall to correct any of the salesmen I have
    spoken to, but that's only because I need them on my side for the time
    being.

    You need them on your side? Surely the other way around, it's they who
    need you to fund their Christmas cheer? They are there to bend over
    backwards for you, assuming they want your business that is.

  4. On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 14:24:54 +0000, davek <[email hidden]>
    said in <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    In my research I have
    noted that car dealers universally refer to VED as "road fund license".

    LOL! I'd ask them how much they want for the Standard Ten with
    freewheel hubs and optional windscreen wipers :-D

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  5. davek said:

    I need to buy a new car[1] asap so have been spending much time
    recently going round dealerships and looking at brochures. In my
    research I have noted that car dealers universally refer to VED as
    "road fund license".


    [..]
    What annoys me more is the notice in our Post Office that refers to 'Road
    Tax'. As the people who issue V.E.D. disks, I'd expect them to know what
    they're called.

    --
    Cheerful Pedalling
    John Mallard

  6. Matt B said:

    It was once just that, and the term has stuck in the minds of certain folk.

    Yes, until about 1930-something? It has been something other than a
    "road fund license" longer than it ever was that. Has it really "stuck
    in the minds" of people who weren't even born when it changed?

    d.

  7. LSMike said:

    You need them on your side? Surely the other way around, it's they who
    need you to fund their Christmas cheer? They are there to bend over
    backwards for you, assuming they want your business that is.

    Fair point. I'll try to remember that. I can safely say that the two
    local Toyota dealers don't seem interested in my money, the [censored]. I
    was seriously looking at the Prius, too, which would have got their kids
    some nice Christmas presents, but their failure to take me seriously as
    a potential customer means I have crossed them off the list. Shame, cos
    the Prius is a jolly nice car to drive.

    d.

  8. "John Mallard" <not_me@all> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    davek said:

    I need to buy a new car[1] asap so have been spending much time
    recently going round dealerships and looking at brochures. In my
    research I have noted that car dealers universally refer to VED as
    "road fund license".


    [..]
    What annoys me more is the notice in our Post Office that refers to 'Road
    Tax'. As the people who issue V.E.D. disks,

    Or "Vehicle Licence" as it is correctly termed ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    I'd expect them to know what they're called.

    I'm sure they do, but as it is more generally known as, and understood as,
    "Road Tax", they probably decided to dumb down so as not to confuse the
    punters.

    --
    Matt B

  9. Quoted message said:

    their failure to take me seriously as a potential customer means I
    have crossed them off the list.

    A word of advice... You want to buy a car. Do not try to reform/educate
    car salespeople, do not try to make this into a moral crusade (only
    dealing with "nice" people). If you want a Prius, go and buy a Prius;
    you only have to deal with the sales morons briefly; the enjoyment of
    the car will last many years.

    If the salespeople are treating you discourteously, ask to speak to
    their manager.

    --
    Peter Headland

  10. On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:20:33 +0000, davek <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Matt B said:

    It was once just that, and the term has stuck in the minds of certain folk.

    Yes, until about 1930-something? It has been something other than a
    "road fund license" longer than it ever was that. Has it really "stuck
    in the minds" of people who weren't even born when it changed?

    Yes, just like people still think in inches, despite the fact they've
    not been taught in school for 30 years either. People generally don't
    need to know the official name of something, they just use what other
    people do.

    Jim.

  11. On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 14:24:54 +0000, davek <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I need to buy a new car[1] asap so have been spending much time recently
    going round dealerships and looking at brochures. In my research I have
    noted that car dealers universally refer to VED as "road fund license".

    Most people I know just call it "Car Tax". It may not be technically
    correct, but it's more accurate in terms of its usage.

    Quoted message said:

    1. Obviously, I would rather spend the money on a fleet of HPVs - I'm
    sure I could get enough different bikes, trikes and other forms of
    pedal-powered transport to suit my various needs on the same budget that

    Serious: How many (and what) different types do you need?

    --
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
    - [email hidden] http://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -

  12. (Jim Ley) said:

    Yes, just like people still think in inches, despite the fact they've
    not been taught in school for 30 years either. People generally don't

    s/30/20/ - They taught both when I was at school, then stopped a few
    years afterwards IIRC.

    --
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
    - [email hidden] http://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -

  13. Stuart Millington said:
    (Jim Ley) said:

    Yes, just like people still think in inches, despite the fact they've
    not been taught in school for 30 years either. People generally don't

    s/30/20/ - They taught both when I was at school, then stopped a few
    years afterwards IIRC.

    They never taught 'em when I was in School, which gives up an upper
    limit of 27 for my schools, but yeah I sorta expected there would be
    regional differences the "national curriculum" wasn't quite so
    national then...

    Jim.

  14. Stuart Millington said:

    Serious: How many (and what) different types do you need?

    Duh! "As many as possible" and "All of them" in that order!

    Jon

  15. Matt B said:

    "John Mallard" <not_me@all> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    davek said:

    I need to buy a new car[1] asap so have been spending much time
    recently going round dealerships and looking at brochures. In my
    research I have noted that car dealers universally refer to VED as
    "road fund license".


    [..]
    What annoys me more is the notice in our Post Office that refers to 'Road
    Tax'. As the people who issue V.E.D. disks,

    Or "Vehicle Licence" as it is correctly termed ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    I'd expect them to know what they're called.

    I'm sure they do, but as it is more generally known as, and understood as,
    "Road Tax", they probably decided to dumb down so as not to confuse the
    punters.

    Isn't the thing you stick in the windscreen to prove you have paid
    universally known as a tax disc?

    The PO in question probably can't spell vehicle :-)

    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  16. On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:31:56 +0000, Jon Senior

    jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk said:

    Stuart Millington wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Serious: How many (and what) different types do you need?

    Duh! "As many as possible" and "All of them" in that order!

    ;-)

    --
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
    - [email hidden] http://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -

  17. (Jim Ley) said:

    On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:24:07 +0000, Stuart Millington
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    (inches)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    s/30/20/ - They taught both when I was at school, then stopped a few
    years afterwards IIRC.

    They never taught 'em when I was in School, which gives up an upper
    limit of 27 for my schools, but yeah I sorta expected there would be
    regional differences the "national curriculum" wasn't quite so
    national then...

    Excluding specialised uses in the Uni. days (where most things were
    measured in pints!) they were still teaching them in schools and
    colleges in 1988 around here. TBH, IMO, they should still be teaching
    both.

    --
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
    - [email hidden] http://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -

  18. Stuart Millington said:
    (Jim Ley) said:

    On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:24:07 +0000, Stuart Millington
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    (inches)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    s/30/20/ - They taught both when I was at school, then stopped a few
    years afterwards IIRC.

    They never taught 'em when I was in School, which gives up an upper
    limit of 27 for my schools, but yeah I sorta expected there would be
    regional differences the "national curriculum" wasn't quite so
    national then...

    Excluding specialised uses in the Uni. days (where most things were
    measured in pints!) they were still teaching them in schools and
    colleges in 1988 around here. TBH, IMO, they should still be teaching
    both.

    In Oz, when they introduced metrification in the early '70s they
    banned imperial stuff - you could no longer sell inch rulers, for
    example. All the road signs were changed, shop signs had to be
    in kg, cm, etc. Most people under their mid 40's only really know
    metric units, but having lived here in the UK for 20 years the
    expression "It's absolutely k's to Sydney" sounds a bit silly
    to my ears ;-)

    I think they've relaxed the rules a bit recently, though. Oddly,
    most people seem know their height in feet and inches, 5'11" is
    a lit easier to visualise than 180 cm. The nice thing about going
    back to Oz is that distances are covered quickly - road signes are
    read by the mind in miles, and the "miles" go past PDQ seeing as
    they're only a paltry 60% of a proper British one ;-)

    --
    Nobby

  19. Peter Headland said:
    Quoted message said:

    their failure to take me seriously as a potential customer means I
    have crossed them off the list.

    A word of advice... You want to buy a car. Do not try to reform/educate
    car salespeople, do not try to make this into a moral crusade (only
    dealing with "nice" people). If you want a Prius, go and buy a Prius;
    you only have to deal with the sales morons briefly; the enjoyment of
    the car will last many years.

    On the other hand, these are the people he'll presumably be going to for
    servicing and maintenance of the car once he's bought it. If they're
    being useless and unhelpful when he's potentially going to spend lots of
    money there, how much more so will they be if, for instance, an
    important part fails and needs replacing?

    --
    Carol
    "This might as well say "bing tiddle tiddle bong".
    It's complete gibberish!" - Rodney McKay, Stargate Atlantis

  20. Stuart Millington said:
    (Jim Ley) said:

    Yes, just like people still think in inches, despite the fact they've
    not been taught in school for 30 years either. People generally
    don't

    s/30/20/ - They taught both when I was at school, then stopped a few
    years afterwards IIRC.

    Not at any of my skools (1968-82) they didn't. Any knowledge of Imperial
    units wot I have has been acquierd by osmosis.

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Funsize Mars bars? What could possibly be MORE fun about eating LESS
    chocolate?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.