UK and Europe · Public discussion

OT: John Peel

Started by Colin Blackburn · · Last activity · 48 posts · 1,420 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
26 October 2004
Last activity
28 October 2004
Original author
Colin Blackburn
Posts
48
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,420
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–48 of 48
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:30:32 +0100, Andy Dingley <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Dave Larrington said:

    Peelie is on record as saying he wants to be buried
    next to HMHB, which could prove trciky, what with none of them being
    dead...

    Another use for the equilateral chainsaw

    Half Man, Half...er...Man.

    Colin

  2. Pete Biggs said:

    He was such a genuine
    bloke (and radio being such an intimate medium) that he felt like a
    personal friend to his listeners.

    The fact that he had been known to play a record and then say "I can't
    think why I liked that first time round" probably endeared him to a
    lot of people, as did the complete absence of the average DJ's forced
    cheeriness.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

  3. On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:48:35 +0100 someone who may be "Pete Biggs"
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    "Let's hope he introduces the oldies upstairs to some proper tunes."

    I liked the cartoon in "The Guardian" today. One angel is saying to
    another, "The new bloke says harps are out."

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
    I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  4. On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:48:35 +0100 someone who may be "Pete Biggs"
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    "Let's hope he introduces the oldies upstairs to some proper tunes."

    I liked the cartoon in "The Guardian" today. One angel is saying to
    another, "The new bloke says harps are out."

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
    I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  5. On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:27:25 GMT someone who may be Call me Bob
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    The death of John Peel on the other hand is a genuinely significant
    and deeply saddening event. The man made an immeasurable contribution
    to (real) music broadcasting over a span of decades. Whether or not
    some people understand, our nation has lost someone truly special.

    Agreed. I started to listen to him about 30 years ago and he
    introduced me to many forms of music. By the 1990s I would only tune
    in occasionally, to see what he was up to. He then gained an
    audience on Radio 4 and it is a mark of the man that he could to two
    programmes that were so different.

    As well as the records played at the wrong speed (he sometimes
    changed the speed in the middle of the record) I remember him
    playing the wrong track at times. Great radio, so much better than
    the mush that much music radio is.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
    I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  6. o Home Truths in recent years.

    Quoted message said:


    Very sad. I am taken back to 1978 and listening to JP late at night on
    a small radio in the bedroom I shared with my brother. He'd play
    records by bands like Magazine, The Slits, The Ruts, The Diagram
    Brothers, Scritti Politti and loads of others not heard of before or
    since. Pocket money allowing, we'd then try to buy some of these
    records only to find no shop had ever heard of them. Not in Hereford.

    Buzz Music...(its the widemarsh St carpark now) They had them. Spent
    every other saturday morning in there 1978-80 and then suffered at
    the footy.

    Only to move to Edinburgh and end up watching football with the great
    man at Meadowbank.

    Richard Webb

  7. Colin Blackburn said:

    I still have a letter from him in response to me sending him some photos
    of a grain silo in Trafford---he claimed an album cover photo (Dead Can
    Dance) was probably some East European building when it was just down the
    road from me at the time.

    Trafford _is_ Eastern Europe.
    Grey, concrete, and somewhere East of Warrington.

    (a Scouser writes)

  8. JohnB said:


    I saw one of Ian Drury's last 'private' gigs when he played at a works
    do in London - brilliant and a real person - met him going to the gents
    too during the interval.
    We had one of his tracks read as a poem at our wedding.


    #"I come awake
    with the gift for womankind
    You're still asleep
    but the gift don't seem to mind" ?

    Tim

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.