OT: Microsoft - just like cagers!

Just Zis Guy

Guest
Non-geeks look away now.

You may not have seen this. Note the parallels with studies funded by the motor lobby, which quietly
exclude great chunks of costs.

Windows for devices cheaper than Linux-study
Wed July 16, 2003 08:50 PM ET

SEATTLE, July 16 (Reuters) - The cost of developing software for consumer electronics, handheld
computers, cash registers and other devices using Linux costs more than with Microsoft Corp. MSFT.O
software, according to a study funded by the world's largest software maker released on Wednesday.

The report, written by Jerry Krasner, a former Boston University professor who now heads Embedded
Market Forecasters, said that developing Windows-based software for devices is completed about 43
percent faster at a quarter of the cost of Linux-based systems.

Linux, which can be copied and modified freely unlike Microsoft's operating system, has gained
ground as a rival to Microsoft, whose software runs on more than 90 percent of the world's personal
computers.

Krasner said that he measured the time needed and the cost of paying engineers to develop software
for devices, or embedded software, for both Windows and Linux.

"This may emerge as the disruptive (cost) model in the industry," Krasner said.

For all Windows embedded software, Krasner found that it took 8.1 months to bring products to
market, compared with 14.3 months for embedded Linux software.

For all Windows embedded software, Krasner found that it cost $479,925, on average, to pay software
engineers for a development project, compared with $1.88 million for Linux embedded.

Krasner said that an independent research firm gathered data from 100 original equipment
manufacturers, which he then used to formulate his results. The study was funded by Redmond,
Washington-based Microsoft.

Microsoft commissioned a study last year that showed that the cost of using Linux for servers
managing computer networks was higher than Windows for four out of every five tasks.

So as long as you ignore the recurring costs (think licensing), Windows is allegedly cheaper. It
must be because Microsoft paid someone to say so. How were the Evil Empire able to increase profits
by 25% despite global economic gloom and growing competition in their core market? By "leveraging"
licensing.

Me, I'll stick with the evidence of my own eyes. We recently decided to go with a non-standard build
of Linux on our web servers, which meant compiling our own kernel. To build and deploy the kernel on
three different servers took less time than it took me this afternoon to build a stock Windows
server straight out of the box - and I have never actually built a Linux kernel before!

Meanwhile the Critical Updates (often to components you didn't want on a server in the first place)
keep flowing. Nine this month and still counting...

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com [currently
offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Non-geeks look away now.
>

> You may not have seen this. Note the parallels with studies funded by the motor lobby, which
> quietly exclude great chunks of costs.
>
> Windows for devices cheaper than Linux-study
> Wed July 16, 2003 08:50 PM ET
>
> SEATTLE, July 16 (Reuters) - The cost of developing software for consumer electronics, handheld
> computers, cash registers and other devices using Linux costs more than with Microsoft Corp.
> MSFT.O software, according to a study funded by the world's largest software maker released on
> Wednesday.
>
> <snip>

LOL!! That's cool, thanks for that.

Hmm... now lets see, I look after 3 Windows based web servers and 5 Linux based servers. The
software costs for the windows servers were about 5,000 ukp each (Windoze 2K Server, and SQL Server
2000 - didn't even dare install Exchange Server), and... well, zero for the Linux servers (Apache,
MySQL, Sendmail etc).

On average, the Windoze servers require rebooting about once a week (memory leaks, whatever - they
just start moaning about virtual memory - hey they only have 2Gig RAM each) whereas the Linux
servers... er, well
- they haven't been rebooted since the last software image was installed in January.

Here's the best of all. The Linux servers are pretty tough to hack, because they don't have hard
drives; the web sites they serve - and the complete OS and server software boot off CD; the most any
hacker can do is make the server reboot - big deal. This is of course pretty much impossible with
Windoze - it insists on having writable media.

But I really don't want to be instrumental in starting a pi$$ing context; especially in this NG :-0

Succorso

> But I really don't want to be instrumental in starting a pi$$ing context; especially in
> this NG :-0

... or "Contest" even...

sigh - it's late.

~S~

[**** snipped]

> Krasner said that an independent research firm gathered data from 100 original equipment
> manufacturers, which he then used to formulate his results. The study was funded by Redmond,
> Washington-based Microsoft.
>
> Microsoft commissioned a study last year that showed that the cost of using Linux for servers
> managing computer networks was higher than Windows for four out of every five tasks.

Yep, and the tobacco industry has for years been funding independant research that shows that fags
(the smokable kind) are anything from not bad for you to have a positive effect on your health.

Grrrrrrrr. I hope they all die, horribly and messily. It really gets into my craw (wherever and
whatever that is) to read such ********.

Trev