Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

OT: Olympics Rant

Started by tcmedara · · Last activity · 49 posts · 1,213 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
28 August 2004
Last activity
1 September 2004
Original author
tcmedara
Posts
49
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,213
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–49 of 49
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. bomba said:
    tcmedara said:
    Quoted message said:

    Exactly. Sat on your [censored] in your chair, you feel the need to
    ignorantly criticise a sport of which you have no idea.

    Jeez, a bit testy there bomba. I was only about 50% serious. I
    didn't know you were such a fan of ballroom dancing and synchronized
    swimming!

    Actually, I don't like synchro (or ballroom dancing), but I do have an
    idea of the amount of effort and skill that goes in to it. The
    Olympics is their one international showcase, and I don't begrudge
    them their opportunity to compete on the Olympic stage.

    I guess I'm more of a traditionalist in that regard.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    You can add ice dancing, rhythmic gymnastics, and synchronized
    diving to the list as well -- though the female divers are pretty
    hot.

    I don't doubt the difficulty, skill, or talent needed. I just don't
    see them as competitive activities, that's all.

    Why exactly? Because they're subjectively marked?

    I see it more as a matter of degree. When the showmanship (or "artistic
    impression"😉 is more evident than the athletic skill involved, then I think
    it needs to go. The beauty of my system is that its completly subjective
    and based on my own opinion. Regular gymnastics, diving, and ice skating
    are on the borderline. They need to get the namby-pamby stuff outta there
    quickly or they're going on the list.

    Tom (future IOC commissioner)

  2. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    On 2004-08-30, Stephen Baker penned:

    Quoted message said:

    Monique says:

    Quoted message said:

    I have friends who are into ballroom dancing. The amount of sweat
    they produce suggests to me that it's a real workout.

    So is riding a stationary bike..... ;-)

    True. And far be it from me to figure out what counts as an olympic
    sport and what doesn't. Are there official criteria?

    I'm sure there is, probably something akin to approval by the IOC. Whether
    something *should* be approved, however, is entirely up to me.

    Tom

  3. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    On 2004-08-29, bomba penned:

    Quoted message said:


    With the exception of ballroom dancing, you've listed activities that
    require little to no physical effort. Synchronised swimming requires
    athleticism, strength, skill and grace. It is officially recognised as a
    sport - why should it not be in the Olympic Games?

    Oh, and people are lobbying for ballroom dancing to become an Olympic
    sport
    too.

    I have friends who are into ballroom dancing. The amount of sweat they
    produce suggests to me that it's a real workout.

    So is climbing a flight of stairs if you look like
    http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/kkamaras/fat_people.jpg

    --
    Slacker
    "Riding up hill is like masterbating with a sandpaper glove...You knew it
    was a bad idea the instant you heard about it." bikecowboy69

  4. Slacker said:
    Monique Y. Mudama said:

    On 2004-08-29, bomba penned:

    Quoted message said:


    With the exception of ballroom dancing, you've listed activities
    that require little to no physical effort. Synchronised swimming
    requires athleticism, strength, skill and grace. It is officially
    recognised as a sport - why should it not be in the Olympic Games?

    Oh, and people are lobbying for ballroom dancing to become an
    Olympic sport
    too.

    I have friends who are into ballroom dancing. The amount of sweat
    they produce suggests to me that it's a real workout.

    So is climbing a flight of stairs if you look like
    http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/kkamaras/fat_people.jpg

    Someone try and tell me that's not Mikey V on the far right!

    Tom

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I have friends who are into ballroom dancing. The amount of sweat they
    produce suggests to me that it's a real workout.

    So is riding a stationary bike..... ;-)

    True. And far be it from me to figure out what counts as an olympic sport and
    what doesn't. Are there official criteria?

    I believe it has to be cool, popular and backed by a major advertiser.

    Put a swoosh (maybe a hooker) on it and the IOC will back it.

    The olympics haven't been about sports since the boycott of 1980 (maybe
    previously, but King Reagan brought it to my awareness at that time in
    my mental development).

    Thankfully, the USA wasn't hosting the olympics this year or it would
    have been further politicized. History repeating itself is sometimes
    not a a pretty sight.

    Pass the cycnism this way please, I need a refill.

    nk

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I have friends who are into ballroom dancing. The amount of sweat they
    produce suggests to me that it's a real workout.

    So is riding a stationary bike..... ;-)

    True. And far be it from me to figure out what counts as an olympic sport and
    what doesn't. Are there official criteria?

    I believe it has to be cool, popular and backed by a major advertiser.

    Put a swoosh (maybe a hooker) on it and the IOC will back it.

    The olympics haven't been about sports since the boycott of 1980 (maybe
    previously, but King Reagan brought it to my awareness at that time in
    my mental development).

    Thankfully, the USA wasn't hosting the olympics this year or it would
    have been further politicized. History repeating itself is sometimes
    not a a pretty sight.

    Pass the cycnism this way please, I need a refill.

    nk

  7. "tcmedara" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<sVNYc.117098$Lj.87712@fed1read03>...

    Quoted message said:
    bomba said:
    tcmedara said:

    > Exactly. Sat on your [censored] in your chair, you feel the need to
    > ignorantly criticise a sport of which you have no idea.

    Jeez, a bit testy there bomba. I was only about 50% serious. I
    didn't know you were such a fan of ballroom dancing and synchronized
    swimming!

    Actually, I don't like synchro (or ballroom dancing), but I do have an
    idea of the amount of effort and skill that goes in to it. The
    Olympics is their one international showcase, and I don't begrudge
    them their opportunity to compete on the Olympic stage.

    I guess I'm more of a traditionalist in that regard.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    You can add ice dancing, rhythmic gymnastics, and synchronized
    diving to the list as well -- though the female divers are pretty
    hot.

    I don't doubt the difficulty, skill, or talent needed. I just don't
    see them as competitive activities, that's all.

    Why exactly? Because they're subjectively marked?

    I see it more as a matter of degree. When the showmanship (or "artistic
    impression"😉 is more evident than the athletic skill involved, then I think
    it needs to go. The beauty of my system is that its completly subjective
    and based on my own opinion. Regular gymnastics, diving, and ice skating
    are on the borderline. They need to get the namby-pamby stuff outta there
    quickly or they're going on the list.

    Tom (future IOC commissioner)

    Dude, did you WATCH the rhythmic gymnastics?

    /s

  8. NotaKnob said:
    Quoted message said:


    The olympics haven't been about sports since the boycott of 1980
    (maybe previously, but King Reagan brought it to my awareness at that
    time in my mental development).


    Psst, minor historical note.....

    Ronnie Reagan didn't take office until Jan of 1981. The boycott of the 1980
    Moscow Olympics was orchestrated by Jimmy Carter in response to the Russian
    invasion of Afghanistan.

    The Eastern Bloc countries returned the favor under some pretext during the
    LA Olympics of 1984 when RR was prez. Perhaps that's what you meant and I
    misunderstood.

    Tom

  9. In article <Q09Zc.122819$Lj.27518@fed1read03>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Ronnie Reagan didn't take office until Jan of 1981. The boycott of the 1980
    Moscow Olympics was orchestrated by Jimmy Carter in response to the Russian
    invasion of Afghanistan.

    The Eastern Bloc countries returned the favor under some pretext during the
    LA Olympics of 1984 when RR was prez. Perhaps that's what you meant and I
    misunderstood.

    Don't believe that [censored] you read on the Internet. It's all Ron's fault.

    I got my facts mixed up.

    Bruce

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.