General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

OT - ord survey affiliate scheme

Started by MIKE · · Last activity · 11 posts · 273 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 August 2004
Last activity
21 August 2004
Original author
MIKE
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
273
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a small website where I post my walks, and through the OS affiliate
    scheme, provide links for visitors to buy the relevant maps from the OS

    I assume that others do the same, and would like to know what they think of
    the level of support or channels of communication with the OS

    Mike Leech

    http://www.mikes-walks.co.uk/

  2. "> I have a small website where I post my walks, and through the OS
    affiliate

    Quoted message said:

    scheme, provide links for visitors to buy the relevant maps from the OS

    I assume that others do the same, and would like to know what they think


    of

    Quoted message said:

    the level of support or channels of communication with the OS

    Not sure what the OS Affiliated scheme is, but although I use OS maps I
    would not place a link for them on my website. Why, you ask?

    Well, like your site, I used to put very basic hand-drawn (using Paintshop
    Pro paint tool) maps of my walks on the South Coast. Dots represented
    features (hills and villages), black lines for roads, green lines for paths,
    blue lines for rivers/streams. I even placed a notice on the map
    recommended the OS map for the walk. I was hounded by the OS to either
    remove the maps, pay for a licence to display them or be prosecuted and have
    my website closed down. The OS said one of their cartographers had carried
    out a detailed analysis of my maps, and come to the conclusion that I was in
    breach of their Copyright. What a laugh!

    So, to save any hassle, I removed the maps ..... but WILL NOT now give free
    advertising to the OS.

    --
    Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

    "Mountains or Mole Hills ..... reaching the
    summit still brings the same excitement"

  3. MIKE said:

    I have a small website where I post my walks, and through the OS affiliate
    scheme, provide links for visitors to buy the relevant maps from the OS

    I assume that others do the same, and would like to know what they think of
    the level of support or channels of communication with the OS

    Mike Leech

    http://www.mikes-walks.co.uk/


    I don't know where the basis for that assumption came from, but I echo everything Sandy said above.
    The shameful tactics of the OS are well documented in past threads in this group. Although I know of
    a few sites that have a link to the OS, I don't know of any that are involved in an affiliate
    scheme, and I find it hard not to have contempt for those that are. Any money made from such an
    association with the OS is dirty in my view, and I wouldn't [censored] on 'em if they were on fire.

    For interest, why stain a nicely laid-out site with overt commercialism?. Most walking sites have
    reports, photos and information for the use and enjoyment of everyone without a load of ads lowering
    the tone.

    Regards

    -- GeoffC

  4. Quoted message said:

    recommended the OS map for the walk. I was hounded by the OS to either
    remove the maps, pay for a licence to display them or be prosecuted and


    have

    Quoted message said:

    my website closed down. The OS said one of their cartographers had


    carried

    Quoted message said:

    out a detailed analysis of my maps, and come to the conclusion that I was


    in

    Quoted message said:

    breach of their Copyright. What a laugh!

    If you based any part of your hand drawn maps on any recent OS map materials
    then you are in breach of copyright, i.e. if you only look at an OS map and
    copy, by eye, a road "roughly" the same then you'll be in breach of
    copyright.

    If you drew the map by hand based on your observations on the ground, GPS
    survey, or commisioned your own photogrametric plot or arial survey then
    you'll be okay.

    You will also be okay if you use old out-of-copyright OS material i.e. OS
    maps printed before 1979 (someone I know does this regulary). You should
    cite the use of the out-of-copyright work however.

    I create maps on a voluntary basis for a local sporting organisation. For
    all maps that we produce, based upon copyrighted OS material, we register
    the map with our national body and have to pay a royalty for each printed
    map used. Speaking as a member of an organisation that follows the rules
    and pays the OS their due it does annoy one sometimes when private
    individuals get away with less.

  5. Quoted message said:

    You will also be okay if you use old out-of-copyright OS material i.e. OS
    maps printed before 1979

    Whoops, that date should have been 1954, not 1979. I had my mind on
    something else...


  6. Quoted message said:

    For interest, why stain a nicely laid-out site with overt commercialism?. Most walking sites have
    reports, photos and information for the use and enjoyment of everyone without a load of ads lowering
    the tone.

    Regards

    -- GeoffC

    I would happily advertise Harveys for free.....

    As for the O$ sadly they are just a necessary evil

    Richard Webb

  7. "GeoffC" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:01:06 +0100, "MIKE" <[email hidden]> wrote:


    snip

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know where the basis for that assumption came from, but I echo


    everything Sandy said above.

    Quoted message said:

    The shameful tactics of the OS are well documented in past threads in this


    group.
    snip

    Quoted message said:

    Regards

    -- GeoffC

    I agree. You are NOT guilty until proven so. If you create a very rough
    sketch, even when based on OS information, they still have to prove that you
    used their information. An independent judge won't convict you.
    In the near future I will create a map and put it on my fotopic gallery for
    anybody to judge or guess who's information I used.

    Theo

  8. theo said:

    I agree. You are NOT guilty until proven so. If you create a very rough
    sketch, even when based on OS information, they still have to prove that
    you used their information. An independent judge won't convict you.
    In the near future I will create a map and put it on my fotopic gallery
    for anybody to judge or guess who's information I used.

    Sadly the abstrads have fat-a*se lawyers and money on their side. They can
    threaten your ISP, who will likely cave in and pull your site, leaving it
    up to *you* to sue *them*, a far more daunting and expensive prospect than
    the other way round.
    --
    Dave

  9. On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:54:12 +0100, Dave Pickles <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    | theo wrote:
    |
    | > I agree. You are NOT guilty until proven so. If you create a very rough
    | > sketch, even when based on OS information, they still have to prove that
    | > you used their information. An independent judge won't convict you.
    | > In the near future I will create a map and put it on my fotopic gallery
    | > for anybody to judge or guess who's information I used.
    |
    | Sadly the abstrads have fat-a*se lawyers and money on their side. They can
    | threaten your ISP, who will likely cave in and pull your site, leaving it
    | up to *you* to sue *them*, a far more daunting and expensive prospect than
    | the other way round.

    The problem is that OS believe that no one but them survey the UK properly,
    or accurately. Any one with a GPS, and a suitable computer program, can
    now do surveying to a reasonable accuracy, transfer the points to a
    computer, add roads, buildings freehand, and print the results, all quiite
    cheaply in time and efort.

    IANAL but I would guess that, saying "I used GPS for this", and giving the
    raw GPS reference points used, to the OS would show that you did not use
    their data as a base.

    Ihe government GPS site http://www.gps.gov.uk/info.asp specifically
    mentions GPS surveying.

    --
    Dave F

  10. "Dave Pickles" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    theo said:

    I agree. You are NOT guilty until proven so. If you create a very rough
    sketch, even when based on OS information, they still have to prove that
    you used their information. An independent judge won't convict you.
    In the near future I will create a map and put it on my fotopic gallery
    for anybody to judge or guess who's information I used.

    Sadly the abstrads have fat-a*se lawyers and money on their side. They can
    threaten your ISP, who will likely cave in and pull your site, leaving it
    up to *you* to sue *them*, a far more daunting and expensive prospect than
    the other way round.

    If that's the case this organisation should be named 'the *S', after a group
    of people somewhere in Germany in the middle of the 20th century. I thought
    we got rid of them. :-(

    Theo

  11. theo said:

    "Dave Pickles" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    theo said:

    I agree. You are NOT guilty until proven so. If you create a very rough
    sketch, even when based on OS information, they still have to prove that
    you used their information. An independent judge won't convict you.
    In the near future I will create a map and put it on my fotopic gallery
    for anybody to judge or guess who's information I used.

    Sadly the abstrads have fat-a*se lawyers and money on their side. They can
    threaten your ISP, who will likely cave in and pull your site, leaving it
    up to *you* to sue *them*, a far more daunting and expensive prospect than
    the other way round.

    If that's the case this organisation should be named 'the *S', after a group
    of people somewhere in Germany in the middle of the 20th century. I thought
    we got rid of them. :-(

    Civil Servants are the same everywhere...

    Bernie

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.