General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

OT - Panoramas

Started by PeterC · · Last activity · 26 posts · 492 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 October 2007
Last activity
2 October 2007
Original author
PeterC
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
492
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Phil Cook said:
    Chris Gilbert said:

    Phil Cook wrote

    Quoted message said:

    It's not very rigid especially on a lightweight tripod.

    I usually have a mid-range tripod with me. If only because
    of wind. It should lend stability.

    If I specifically plan to take panos then I'll carry a more sturdy tripod
    for that purpose.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    slow shutter speeds I need to use mirror lock up.

    De rigeur on landscapes for me.

    Same here, whenever I use a tripod. Not so useful for hand held shots
    though!

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, it's just a shame Canon make it so awkward to use!

    Yes, particularly when you switch from tripod to hand held, I've missed a
    few opportunity shots for that very reason.

    And it always seems to be set the way I don't want it! Typically I'll take
    handheld snaps during a walk, then end the day with some serious tripod
    shots at twilight, so the mirror lock is always on when I next want to take
    a hand held shot.

    Or the reverse, starting the day with some serious sunrise shots and ending
    with a walk.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/

  2. Mike said:

    Heres a good one from Colin Prior that I dont think would have worked in
    landscape format.

    Yes, that's good vertically, as the clouds are really the main part.
    --
    Peter.
    You don't understand Newton's Third Law of Motion?
    It's not rocket science, you know.

  3. Paul Saunders said:
    Jim Ford said:

    I've created 'bubble' panoramas with a fisheye lens:

    http://tinyurl.com/b24ju

    How many shots?

    Three, with the 180 degree fisheye. In theory two is enough, but three
    is required for overlapping. It was taken with a Nikon Coolpix 995.

    Jim Ford

  4. Paul Saunders said:
    Phil Cook said:
    Chris Gilbert said:

    Phil Cook wrote

    > It's not very rigid especially on a lightweight tripod.

    I usually have a mid-range tripod with me. If only because
    of wind. It should lend stability.

    If I specifically plan to take panos then I'll carry a more sturdy tripod
    for that purpose.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > slow shutter speeds I need to use mirror lock up.

    De rigeur on landscapes for me.

    Same here, whenever I use a tripod. Not so useful for hand held shots
    though!

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, it's just a shame Canon make it so awkward to use!

    Yes, particularly when you switch from tripod to hand held, I've missed a
    few opportunity shots for that very reason.

    And it always seems to be set the way I don't want it! Typically I'll take
    handheld snaps during a walk, then end the day with some serious tripod
    shots at twilight, so the mirror lock is always on when I next want to take
    a hand held shot.

    Or the reverse, starting the day with some serious sunrise shots and ending
    with a walk.

    It's a bit like that with the focus and IS switches too, they are
    always the wrong way. What would be really good would be a switch in
    the tripod socket that switched the camera to tripod mode (MLU MF and
    no IS) but that would be kyboshed if you had a mounting plate on the
    camera :-(

    Perhaps a better solution would be for the camera to go into tripod
    mode when you inserted the remote release.

    I think you just have to get into the habit of pressing all the
    buttons to return the camera to hand-held mode when you take it off
    the tripod. That's four button presses to change the mirror setting
    and two switches to check each time.
    --
    Phil Cook, last hill: Angletarn Pikes via Beda Fell.
    http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/May07/martin9.htm

  5. Phil Cook wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I think you just have to get into the habit of pressing all the
    buttons to return the camera to hand-held mode when you take it off
    the tripod. That's four button presses to change the mirror setting
    and two switches to check each time.

    I think the answer is actually 2 cameras (!!) I'm hoping that when
    I get the new kit sorted out I'll actually be able to hold onto the
    30D, which will remain setup in walkaround mode with a longish
    lens on while 5D will remain in landscape mode.

    Chris

  6. Paul Saunders said:
    Phil Cook said:

    I can't remember the name of mine, hang on while I find it so I can
    google it...

    Nodal Ninja. http://www.red-door.co.uk/pages/heads.html

    Jeez! You paid £180 for that?

    No I paid rather less for the old model. :-)

    You could DIY. I was thinking about that but couldn't source the
    screws and sockets I needed for the tripod mount without paying silly
    money to have them shipped from the US and it is rather smaller than
    the wooden version.

    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/digital-cameras/diy-10-panoramic-tripod-head-193456.php

    Quoted message said:

    I'll just carry on using the same technique I'm using now then, namely to
    choose a flat foreground clear of foliage and suchlike that are bound to
    cause parallax problems. I don't take that many panos anyway, and for the
    kind that I take, PTGUI is excellent at warping small parallax errors to get
    a perfect fit. I can't recommend PTGUI highly enough, it's made perfect
    joins on older panos that I could never get to fit with any other software.

    Yes, I'm using PTGUI too.

    I have been having a play with full 180x360 degree panoramas. Using my
    10-22 on the 400D I have to take four shots to cover the zenith where
    the latest model Ninja I would only need one, but that is no great
    hardship, I just chuck the images in PTGUI and voila!

    Click and drag to have a look around my spare room <yikes>
    http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/pans/bedpan2.htm

    Quoted message said:

    How fiddly is it to set up? I presume you've still got the hassle of
    levelling the tripod perfectly? I suppose I might buy one if I ever have the
    money to spare and nothing better to spend it on (that'll be the day!)

    It's not fiddly at all. Using a ball-head on the tripod you just set
    the bubble in the level to the centre and that's it leveled. For the
    nth degree of accuracy you can use a level on the camera. As I said, I
    keep it set up so that I don't have to assemble it each time and it
    has click stops so I don't have to look through the viewfinder
    worrying about the overlaps once I have it set up.

    I have some spare money that keeps asking to be spent on a HP B9180
    but I feel there are rainy days ahead :-\

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.