[OT] Pathetic motorways

Not Responding wrote:
> Because I'm bored and *do* have better things to do, I followed a few
> links and found this bizarre and on-topic road sign:
>
> http://groups.msn.com/TheSABRERoads...rfurniture.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=4280

I spotted a series of rather bizarre road signs (or combinations
thereof) this afternoon that I really must go back and get a photo of
sometime. In each case there were 3 signs. The top sign was a standard
no entry sign. The next one down was a text sign, saying "except for
buses". Underneath that was a blue circle with a white bike (route to
be used by pedal cycles only).

So, it seems that there are routes round here that no vehicles other
than pedal cycles are entitled to use, but that cyclists can't actually
access because only buses are permitted to enter them...

Danny Colyer wrote:

> Not Responding wrote:

> I spotted a series of rather bizarre road signs (or combinations
> thereof) this afternoon that I really must go back and get a photo of
> sometime.
>
> So, it seems that there are routes round here that no vehicles other
> than pedal cycles are entitled to use, but that cyclists can't actually
> access

A bit like this one not far from you:
http://freespace.virgin.net/jpb.design/bristol.html

> because only buses are permitted to enter them...

John B

JohnB wrote:
> A bit like this one not far from you:
> http://freespace.virgin.net/jpb.design/bristol.html

I love it, thanks John.

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:32:44 +0000, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

>Danny Colyer wrote:
>>
>> Not Responding wrote:

>> I spotted a series of rather bizarre road signs (or combinations
>> thereof) this afternoon that I really must go back and get a photo of
>> sometime.
>>
>> So, it seems that there are routes round here that no vehicles other
>> than pedal cycles are entitled to use, but that cyclists can't actually
>> access

>A bit like this one not far from you:
>http://freespace.virgin.net/jpb.design/bristol.html

Mine is almost as good:
http://www.artybee.net/assets/images/2004daftsign.jpg

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:29:39 +0000, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> wrote in message <42051092.0@entanet>:

>http://pathetic.org.uk/

Ah, bless, the M10 is no more. And I didn't even notice.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

Response to Just zis Guy, you know?:
> Ah, bless, the M10 is no more. And I didn't even notice.

=8-@

I was born and bred in Radlett - the M10 was our Gateway To The North!

--
Mark, UK.

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and
murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to
pure wind."

> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:29:39 +0000, Zog The Undeniable
> <[email protected]> wrote in message <42051092.0@entanet>:
>
> >http://pathetic.org.uk/

> Ah, bless, the M10 is no more. And I didn't even notice.

what is it now? I thought it butted straight onto the M1. BTW the Westway is
also now downgraded to an A road but apparently no bikes allowed.

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:29:39 +0000, Zog The Undeniable
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message <42051092.0@entanet>:
> >
> > >http://pathetic.org.uk/

> > Ah, bless, the M10 is no more. And I didn't even notice.

> what is it now? I thought it butted straight onto the M1. BTW the Westway

is
> also now downgraded to an A road but apparently no bikes allowed.

It is still the M10 for now, but if the proposed widening of the M1 in that
part of the world goes ahead then the M10 will become patr of the A414, with
extra collector/distributor lanes provided for traffic wishing to go from
the old M10 at J7 to the A414 towards Hemel at J8.

Cycling (amongst other things) will still be prohibited though.

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 23:04:01 -0000, "Nathaniel Porter"
<[email protected]>:

>It is still the M10 for now, but if the proposed widening of the M1 in that
>part of the world goes ahead then the M10 will become patr of the A414, with
>extra collector/distributor lanes provided for traffic wishing to go from
>the old M10 at J7 to the A414 towards Hemel at J8.

That egg splains why I didn't notice. I won't bother to go and look
tomorrow, after all :)

>Cycling (amongst other things) will still be prohibited though.

Who would ride that way anyway? Park Street to Treacle Plumpstead is
a nice meander through the lanes and out through Leverstock Green.

Trivia fans: my two worst crashes were both on Park Street Roundabout,
pre M25, then one of the busiest roundabouts in the country.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

<snip>

> Trivia fans: my two worst crashes were both on Park Street Roundabout,
> pre M25, then one of the busiest roundabouts in the country.

Trivia fans will also appreciate that Park Street Roundabout has provided
the illustration in the highway code for an advanced direction sign for a
roundabout since 1965 (though they change some of the place names now).

Er, I'll get me coat.

Richard Bates wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:32:44 +0000, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Danny Colyer wrote:
> >>
> >> Not Responding wrote:

> >> I spotted a series of rather bizarre road signs (or combinations
> >> thereof) this afternoon that I really must go back and get a photo of
> >> sometime.
> >>
> >> So, it seems that there are routes round here that no vehicles other
> >> than pedal cycles are entitled to use, but that cyclists can't actually
> >> access

> >A bit like this one not far from you:
> >http://freespace.virgin.net/jpb.design/bristol.html

> Mine is almost as good:
> http://www.artybee.net/assets/images/2004daftsign.jpg

I have another one - quite similar in concept to yours...

http://freespace.virgin.net/jpb.design/threeinchcyclero.html

Its good what these planners spend our money on isn't it :-(

John B

Nathaniel Porter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Trivia fans will also appreciate that Park Street Roundabout has provided
> the illustration in the highway code for an advanced direction sign for a
> roundabout since 1965 (though they change some of the place names now).

I noticed - when I got my first copy, aged nine :)

Guy

Nathaniel Porter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Trivia fans will also appreciate that Park Street Roundabout has provided
> the illustration in the highway code for an advanced direction sign for a
> roundabout since 1965 (though they change some of the place names now).

Looking at it, you are approaching the roundabout from Hatfield, Walsham
is St Albans, the M15 is the M10, A105 (M14) is Watford, the M1 and the
M25 and Nutfield (warning: Corley bait!) is Radlett and Park Street. I
suspect they started fiddling with it after the A5 was detrunked, way
back when. It's now the A5183 - there used to be a WASA5 annd a WASA6
around Snorbens, but I think the WASA signs went the way of all road
signs which might conceivably be helpful.

Guy

news:1grkjsc.1ujwrmg195bh56N%[email protected]...
> Nathaniel Porter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Trivia fans will also appreciate that Park Street Roundabout has

provided
> > the illustration in the highway code for an advanced direction sign for

> > roundabout since 1965 (though they change some of the place names now).

> Looking at it, you are approaching the roundabout from Hatfield, Walsham
> is St Albans, the M15 is the M10, A105 (M14) is Watford, the M1 and the
> M25 and Nutfield (warning: Corley bait!) is Radlett and Park Street. I
> suspect they started fiddling with it after the A5 was detrunked, way
> back when.

Nope - the A5 was detrunked and became the A5183 (similarily A6 and A1081
[although some of the A1081 is now part of the M25]) when the M1 in the area
opened. This was to encourage traffic onto the M1. Personally, I would have
kept the old A5 and A6 numbers for consistancy for non-motorised users, and
for local traffic, but I wasn't around at the time to argue with the Rt Hon.
Mr Marples. Curiously, they didn't bother with the same approach for the A6
through Cumbria, but did the the A41 and A34 alongside the M40.

They changed the illustration in the highway code in 1994 when the Guildford
rules (i.e. white and green planels to indicate primary or secondary status)
were introduced. I don't know why - all the example illustrations updated
then where altered to be ficticious.

Erm, I'll continue getting me coat...