In article <[email hidden]>, "Budstaff" <budstaffdotusegroupatbtinternetdotcom> says...
Quoted message said:
There is no reason to disbelieve the account of the lad who had been hit by a cyclist running the red, who had stepped out assuming (correctly) that the green man indicated that the the lights were red against the traffic.
But that doesn't absolve him of the responsibility for checking that nothing's coming before stepping off the pavement, any more than a motorist can drive through a green light with his eyes shut.
At what age? My son was knocked down by a RLJ when crossing the road on a green man (and while supervised by my wife). He was 2 at the time.
Something tells me that, as far as Rob is concerned, it's your wife's fault. I trust all is fine with your son.
In the bit about WNBR I noticed a tandem stopped at the side of the road, apparently with a puncture. David Damerell?
I don't know, I don't watch TV, but if it's a brown tandem in Trafalgar Square with a short girl in a Tilley hat (and nothing else, obviously), that's us.
Dunno where it was, just that it was leaning against a railing at the side of the road. There was nobody on it, but there was a bloke investigating something at the back wheel. I didn't see the other rider. The bike looked black, but could easily have been brown.
I'm pretty sure I deleted it from my PVR after watching it, so I can't go back and look for more detail.
-- Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk> Reply address is valid, but that on my website is checked more often "The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis
"Rob Morley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
In article <[email hidden]>, "Budstaff" <budstaffdotusegroupatbtinternetdotcom> says...
Quoted message said:
There is no reason to disbelieve the account of the lad who had been hit by a cyclist running the red, who had stepped out assuming (correctly) that the green man indicated that the the lights were red against the traffic.
But that doesn't absolve him of the responsibility for checking that nothing's coming before stepping off the pavement, any more than a motorist can drive through a green light with his eyes shut.
How would he know it was green if his eyes were shut?
And how would a blind pedestrian (listening out for the bleeps of a pelicon crossing) know that a cyclist was not only approaching but wasn't prepared to stop?
In article <1iagvtz.15egvl31hvtzu7N% [email hidden]>, Ekul Namsob [email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:
Rob Morley said:
In article <1iaesig.1mo998g19746tuN% [email hidden]>, Ekul Namsob [email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:
It may be of benefit to him to look but it is certainly not his responsibility.
So it's fine for pedestrians to step into the road without looking, and if they get squashed it's someone else's responsibility?
Thanks for trimming the bit about the green light for pedestrians on the pelican crossing, it says a lot about how seriously I should take your responses to this thread.
A light is just a light, not some sort of force field. Maybe I'm more serious about personal responsibility than some people.
"Rob Morley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
In article <1iagvtz.15egvl31hvtzu7N% [email hidden]>, Ekul Namsob [email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:
Rob Morley said:
In article <1iaesig.1mo998g19746tuN% [email hidden]>, Ekul Namsob [email hidden] says...
> It may be of benefit to him to look but it is certainly not his > responsibility. > So it's fine for pedestrians to step into the road without looking, and if they get squashed it's someone else's responsibility?
Thanks for trimming the bit about the green light for pedestrians on the pelican crossing, it says a lot about how seriously I should take your responses to this thread.
A light is just a light, not some sort of force field. Maybe I'm more serious about personal responsibility than some people.
But why are you more serious about the personal responsibility of a young child to be sophisticated and cynical enough not to trust others to follow rules that he's only recently been taught himself than about the personal responsibility of the cyclist to stop at the light? And don't forget that cyclists (and all other vehicle users) have a general 'personal responsibility' not to mow down peds on ped crossings even when there are _no_ lights. (Highway Code 195 'you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing'.)
In article <[email hidden]>, Budstaff [email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:
But why are you more serious about the personal responsibility of a young child to be sophisticated and cynical enough not to trust others to follow rules that he's only recently been taught himself than about the personal responsibility of the cyclist to stop at the light?
I'm not denying that the cyclist has responsibility not to squash people.
I was aghast at the cyclists running the red lights.
If they can do it - and generally survive the experience unscathed, can we not conclude that it is pointless and inefficient to wait at red, and that waiting gives no obvious benefit to anybody?
Quoted message said:
But is this an experience that is survived "unscathed"? Don't know what the statistics are, though the programme suggested that injury/ death rates amongst female cyclists were higher than male cyclists as they were more cautious.
If it suggested that, it's wrong. Males have higher casualty rates overall. Females seem to be more likely to be killed by lorries at traffic lights than males, and it is hypothesised that this is because they are more likely to wait beside them rather than getting to the front (and possibly then jumping the light).
The other stat I remember from somewhere is that more cyclists are killed and injured by motor vehicles jumping red lights than by jumping red lights themselves.
Colin McKenzie
-- No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking. Make an informed choice - visit www.cyclehelmets.org.
The other stat I remember from somewhere is that more cyclists are killed and injured by motor vehicles jumping red lights than by jumping red lights themselves.
Colin McKenzie
I was trying to find this the other day ... anyone got a source ???