General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

OT spam traps and web based emails

Started by George · · Last activity · 8 posts · 233 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 September 2004
Last activity
20 September 2004
Original author
George
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
233
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. How do I insert a NOSPAM in to my email on a web based email address
    and how do I reply to the newsgroup using the same email.

    Normally I use a POP3 email address but end up with loads of spam.

    TIA

    Geo

  2. Hello George
    if using OE go to tools/accounts/news/properties then edit the email address
    you see displayed eg replace . with dot, add nospam anywhere etc.
    Replies to NG should not be affected.
    regards ian

    "George" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How do I insert a NOSPAM in to my email on a web based email address
    and how do I reply to the newsgroup using the same email.

    Normally I use a POP3 email address but end up with loads of spam.

    TIA

    Geo

  3. "ian" <ianandhelena@tiscaliDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello George
    if using OE go to tools/accounts/news/properties then edit the email


    address

    Quoted message said:

    you see displayed eg replace . with dot, add nospam anywhere etc.
    Replies to NG should not be affected.
    regards ian


    It depends on your ISP, but you might find that their news server won't
    allow you to post unless the email address quoted looks like a real email
    address. I set up a machine for a friend last week, and put his address in
    as nameATwanadooDOTcom and spent ages trying to figure out why Outlook kept
    getting errors back when I tried to post to a NG. Change it to
    [email hidden] and all was well.

  4. "George" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How do I insert a NOSPAM in to my email on a web based email address
    and how do I reply to the newsgroup using the same email.

    Normally I use a POP3 email address but end up with loads of spam.

    TIA

    Geo

    Unless you have your email address on one or more websites, much of your
    spam will come from the newsgroups. Spambots are very good at picking up
    email addresses from newsgroup postings

    Check your news server account settings and change your email address by
    putting a word, such as SPAMLESS before the @ in your email address

    If you want, use a signature that says: remove SPAMLESS from my email
    address to reply

    Pete

  5. Pete said:


    "George" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How do I insert a NOSPAM in to my email on a web based email address
    and how do I reply to the newsgroup using the same email.

    Normally I use a POP3 email address but end up with loads of spam.

    TIA

    Geo

    Unless you have your email address on one or more websites, much of your
    spam will come from the newsgroups. Spambots are very good at picking up
    email addresses from newsgroup postings

    Check your news server account settings and change your email address by
    putting a word, such as SPAMLESS before the @ in your email address

    I would suggest being a little more cunning in your spam trap. The
    abstards are getting wise to "remove this" no spam" and the like.

    An alternative is to install Mailwasher http://www.mailwasher.net/ to
    clear the junk off your POP server before you check for mail with your
    mail/newsreader software.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  6. "Phil Cook" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pete said:


    "George" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How do I insert a NOSPAM in to my email on a web based email address
    and how do I reply to the newsgroup using the same email.

    Normally I use a POP3 email address but end up with loads of spam.

    TIA

    Geo

    Unless you have your email address on one or more websites, much of your
    spam will come from the newsgroups. Spambots are very good at picking up
    email addresses from newsgroup postings

    Check your news server account settings and change your email address by
    putting a word, such as SPAMLESS before the @ in your email address

    I would suggest being a little more cunning in your spam trap. The
    abstards are getting wise to "remove this" no spam" and the like.

    An alternative is to install Mailwasher http://www.mailwasher.net/ to
    clear the junk off your POP server before you check for mail with your
    mail/newsreader software.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

    You're right, they are getting cunning

    I found that mailwasher, spamtrap, etc., didn't work for me. I kept losing
    too many genuine emails, in spite of my best efforts

    Pete

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, u-r-walk@p-t-
    cook.freeserve.co.uk says...

    Quoted message said:
    Pete said:


    "George" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How do I insert a NOSPAM in to my email on a web based email address
    and how do I reply to the newsgroup using the same email.

    Normally I use a POP3 email address but end up with loads of spam.

    TIA

    Geo

    Unless you have your email address on one or more websites, much of your
    spam will come from the newsgroups. Spambots are very good at picking up
    email addresses from newsgroup postings

    Check your news server account settings and change your email address by
    putting a word, such as SPAMLESS before the @ in your email address

    I would suggest being a little more cunning in your spam trap. The
    abstards are getting wise to "remove this" no spam" and the like.

    An alternative is to install Mailwasher http://www.mailwasher.net/ to
    clear the junk off your POP server before you check for mail with your
    mail/newsreader software.

    If you have an account, such as Wannadoo or Demon that gives you a sub
    domain and lets you have multiple e-mail addresses (eg.
    [email hidden]) or if you have registered your
    own domain, create a different account for ng use. Then use the mail
    client filters to either delete mail to this address or to filter it off
    to a different folder for later review (easier if you have a client such
    as The Bat that support multiple accounts/filtering/intelligent use far
    better than OE).
    --
    Darren

  8. "Darren G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, u-r-walk@p-t-
    cook.freeserve.co.uk says...

    Quoted message said:
    Pete said:


    "George" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > How do I insert a NOSPAM in to my email on a web based email address
    > and how do I reply to the newsgroup using the same email.
    >
    > Normally I use a POP3 email address but end up with loads of spam.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Geo

    Unless you have your email address on one or more websites, much of


    your

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    spam will come from the newsgroups. Spambots are very good at picking


    up

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    email addresses from newsgroup postings

    Check your news server account settings and change your email address


    by

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    putting a word, such as SPAMLESS before the @ in your email address

    I would suggest being a little more cunning in your spam trap. The
    abstards are getting wise to "remove this" no spam" and the like.

    An alternative is to install Mailwasher http://www.mailwasher.net/ to
    clear the junk off your POP server before you check for mail with your
    mail/newsreader software.

    If you have an account, such as Wannadoo or Demon that gives you a sub
    domain and lets you have multiple e-mail addresses (eg.
    [email hidden]) or if you have registered your
    own domain, create a different account for ng use. Then use the mail
    client filters to either delete mail to this address or to filter it off
    to a different folder for later review (easier if you have a client such
    as The Bat that support multiple accounts/filtering/intelligent use far
    better than OE).
    --
    Darren

    Great idea. I think I'll do that!

    Pete

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.