UK and Europe · Public discussion

OT: that was short-lived

Started by wafflycat · · Last activity · 11 posts · 400 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
11 November 2005
Last activity
14 November 2005
Original author
wafflycat
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
400
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. BAH!

    the joy of bb was short-lived...

    keep being dropped out of service.

    BAH! 🙁

    Cheers, helen s

  2. "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com>typed

    Quoted message said:

    BAH!

    Quoted message said:

    the joy of bb was short-lived...

    Quoted message said:

    keep being dropped out of service.

    Quoted message said:

    BAH! 🙁

    Quoted message said:

    Cheers, helen s

    After hiccupping a lot the first few weeks, my BB settled own to being
    brisk and efficient. It DOES seem slow right now though.

    Hope yours settles to the speed to which I have becom accustomed.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  3. "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    After hiccupping a lot the first few weeks, my BB settled own to being
    brisk and efficient. It DOES seem slow right now though.

    Hope yours settles to the speed to which I have becom accustomed.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

    Oh so do I! One second it's there, the next it's not 🙁

    Cheers, helen s

  4. wafflycat said:


    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    After hiccupping a lot the first few weeks, my BB settled own to being
    brisk and efficient. It DOES seem slow right now though.

    Hope yours settles to the speed to which I have becom accustomed.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

    Oh so do I! One second it's there, the next it's not 🙁

    The router should have stats on why it dropped the line from there you
    can start to do battle with your ISP and then maybe your local loop
    provider, even if they are both BT they are not allowed to act as one.

    If your phone line has crackles then that has to get fixed or your
    service will always suffer, either by being slow or by dropping the
    connection.

    --chris

  5. Chris Gerhard said:


    If your phone line has crackles then that has to get fixed or your
    service will always suffer, either by being slow or by dropping the
    connection.

    Are they required to fix that ?

    My crackly phone line is what puts me off migrating from NTL Cable to
    ADSL - I remember BT in the past refusing to fix lines that had poor
    modem performance on the grounds that they were adequate for voice.

    I don't want to commit to a year's contract only to find I get poorer
    service than I've already got.

    -adrian

  6. wafflycat said:

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    After hiccupping a lot the first few weeks, my BB settled own to
    being brisk and efficient. It DOES seem slow right now though.

    Oh so do I! One second it's there, the next it's not 🙁

    What speed ?

    I know of a few people who've had dreadful problems with BB dropping in and
    out when the systems gave them the OK 2Mb, yet when they asked for it to be
    specifically set at a lower speed (eg. 1Mb max), it was fine. Similar logic
    would apply to a nominally 1Mb service and trying at 0.5Mb. As your ISP if
    they can get this setting made at the exchange end.

    Other things to check is to systematically remove and refit every phone and
    microfilter in the house. Microfilters do vary in quality, some are
    dreadful.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, Adrian Godwin

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If your phone line has crackles then that has to get fixed or
    your service will always suffer, either by being slow or by
    dropping the connection.

    Quoted message said:

    Are they required to fix that ?

    Quoted message said:

    My crackly phone line is what puts me off migrating from NTL Cable
    to ADSL - I remember BT in the past refusing to fix lines that had
    poor modem performance on the grounds that they were adequate for
    voice.

    My niece moved from BT to Homecall Broadband - it didn't work too
    well and she was advised by Homecall to contact BT and get the line
    checked. BT told her that if she was a BT customer it would be free
    and quick but since she was a Homecall customer it would be £70 and
    slow.

    I use Homecall and haven't had a problem but I do have a BT pole in
    the yard which I have threatened to get them to remove on several
    occasions.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton
    on the Bicycle Island
    In the Global Village
    http://www.millport.net

  8. Adrian Godwin <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:
    Chris Gerhard said:


    If your phone line has crackles then that has to get fixed or your
    service will always suffer, either by being slow or by dropping the
    connection.

    Quoted message said:

    Are they required to fix that ?

    Quoted message said:

    My crackly phone line is what puts me off migrating from NTL Cable to
    ADSL - I remember BT in the past refusing to fix lines that had poor
    modem performance on the grounds that they were adequate for voice.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't want to commit to a year's contract only to find I get poorer
    service than I've already got.

    Quoted message said:

    -adrian

    I don't think they can use that excuse when you pay them for your
    BroadBand, cos your paying for something rather more than voice.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  9. Helen Deborah Vecht said:

    Adrian Godwin <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:
    Chris Gerhard said:

    If your phone line has crackles then that has to get fixed or your
    service will always suffer, either by being slow or by dropping the
    connection.


    Quoted message said:

    Are they required to fix that ?

    Quoted message said:

    My crackly phone line is what puts me off migrating from NTL Cable to
    ADSL - I remember BT in the past refusing to fix lines that had poor
    modem performance on the grounds that they were adequate for voice.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't want to commit to a year's contract only to find I get poorer
    service than I've already got.

    Quoted message said:

    -adrian

    I don't think they can use that excuse when you pay them for your
    BroadBand, cos your paying for something rather more than voice.

    Broadband problems need to be routed via your ISP (which may be BT
    Business Broadband, BT Yahoo). Your normal line rental service is for
    voice/ low speed modem problems.

    BT are constrianed by Ofcom on how BB problems are dealt with.

    --
    ..... it's not difficult, it's not exactly rocket salad

  10. Sandy Morton said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Adrian Godwin

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If your phone line has crackles then that has to get fixed or
    your service will always suffer, either by being slow or by
    dropping the connection.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Are they required to fix that ?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My crackly phone line is what puts me off migrating from NTL Cable
    to ADSL - I remember BT in the past refusing to fix lines that had
    poor modem performance on the grounds that they were adequate for
    voice.

    Quoted message said:

    My niece moved from BT to Homecall Broadband - it didn't work too
    well and she was advised by Homecall to contact BT and get the line
    checked. BT told her that if she was a BT customer it would be free
    and quick but since she was a Homecall customer it would be #70 and
    slow.

    It may depend on whether you've shifted line maintenance as well as
    calls to Homecall. I deliberately left line maintenance with BT, since
    they don't mind replacing the cable from the pole to my house every
    few years after tree branches have worn it down and incoming water has
    started degrading the bandwidth. They seem to think that's less hassle
    than arranging to have the tree pruned. Since it costs me nothing and
    they do it promptly I'm happy to leave them to it.

    --
    Chris Malcolm [email hidden] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, Chris Malcolm

    Quoted message said:

    It may depend on whether you've shifted line maintenance as well as
    calls to Homecall.

    She changed line rental to Homecall and was told that if line
    problems arose she should phone BT - line maintenance was not
    mentioned.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton
    on the Bicycle Island
    In the Global Village
    http://www.millport.net

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.