Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

OT: update, for those keeping tabs still

Started by Merlin · · Last activity · 72 posts · 2,967 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
8 March 2004
Last activity
15 March 2004
Original author
Merlin
Posts
72
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,967
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 72
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. so, given that you are reading this, you have either not
    read "the message" and thus killfiled me, or you are one of
    the very few that for some reason don't give a damn.

    so anyway, my CO thinks that I have a pretty good chance of
    getting back in, when my legal matters are over with. mainly
    because it was not that I didn't tell them sooner, but that
    I was instructed by my recruiter not to tell them as it
    would not make any difference (yeah, right). so I just have
    to wait for the evidence to be analyzed, and for the USA to
    get back from his vacation in Florida. then I should get a
    letter in the mail stating that I am "a possible target for
    legal action", or something like that. not definite answer
    as to if I will be charged or not as they could still drop
    the charges.

    given my past luck, I am going to expect the worst.

    ~Travis

  2. Merlin said:

    so, given that you are reading this, you have either not
    read "the message" and thus killfiled me, or you are one
    of the very few that for some reason don't give a damn.

    I guess I didn't see it then. Whatever.

    You should be running everyday in the meantime. No matter
    which way it goes, it can't hurt to be in shape. No excuses.

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
    address, at least)

  3. "BB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Merlin said:

    so, given that you are reading this, you have either not
    read "the


    message"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and thus killfiled me, or you are one of the very few
    that for some


    reason

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    don't give a damn.

    I guess I didn't see it then. Whatever.

    You should be running everyday in the meantime. No matter
    which way it goes, it can't hurt to be in shape. No
    excuses.

    I will, as soon as it is safe to. the snow banks are still
    a bit wide, and the ice makes it rather interesting. add
    to that [censored]-poor sidewalks (easy way to twist an ankle)
    and college kids (seems when college is in session, the
    average driving skill of most of the people on the road
    goes way down).

    I have been trying to get the guy that runs the UMF fitness
    center to give me a monthly rate to use the track and locker
    room. no need for waits and the other benefits I wouldn't
    use. besides, every time I use the waits, I end up sore for
    about a week. joints aren't used to heavy work I guess. my
    muscles seem to develop faster than my cardio/pulmo and
    bones. last time on the leg press I could do 12 reps of
    565lbs, but my knees complained afterwards.

    I can jog my block without a huge risk (only 300ft of high
    traffic road), but it is quite boring after several laps
    (small block).

    while I may have many excuses not to get out, I do take a
    walk at least 3 times a week (weather permitting). I figure,
    a few miles walked is better than nothing at all.

    ~Travis

  4. "Merlin" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    while I may have many excuses not to get out, I do take a
    walk at least 3 times a week (weather permitting). I
    figure, a few miles walked is better than nothing at all.

    ~Travis

    Every day. No excuses.

    You think your DI will care if there's snow on the ground,
    or it's raining?

    Pete and you still need to change your reply to:

  5. Merlin said:
    Quoted message said:

    You should be running everyday in the meantime. No matter
    which way it goes, it can't hurt to be in shape. No
    excuses.

    I will, as soon as it is safe to. the snow banks are still
    a bit wide, and the ice makes it rather interesting.

    They're not going to have you running in the gym at boot
    camp, so you might as well get used to it now. Run on the
    trails, in the snow.

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
    address, at least)

  6. Merlin said:

    I will, as soon as it is safe to.

    You going to say that to your commanding officer when your
    platoon is under fire out in Iraq?

    'Get out there and fight, you maggot!'

    'Eh, sure captain, when its safe to do so'

    What is your major malfunction!

    --
    Matt

    Fear of a flat planet

  7. "Pete" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You think your DI will care if there's snow on the
    ground, or it's


    raining?

    Actually it will be a Drill Sergeant. DIs are for boot in
    the Corps. And he's right Travis, get off your butt and run.
    And stop with the excuses because excuses only make for you
    to be singled out in boot. And that's the wrong place to be
    singled out.

    Gary in VA

  8. Merlin said:
    Quoted message said:

    You should be running everyday in the meantime. No matter
    which way it goes, it can't hurt to be in shape. No
    excuses.

    I will, as soon as it is safe to. the snow banks are still
    a bit wide, and the ice makes it rather interesting. add
    to that [censored]-poor sidewalks (easy way to twist an ankle)
    and college kids (seems when college is in session, the
    average driving skill of most of the people on the road
    goes way down).

    Always with the excuses...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been trying to get the guy that runs the UMF
    fitness center to give me a monthly rate to use the track
    and locker room. no need for waits and the other benefits
    I wouldn't use. besides, every time I use the waits, I end
    up sore for about a week.

    Then you're trying to lift too much. It's like any exercise,
    you need to build up slowly and with weights, you're much
    better off doing more reps with lighter loads.

    joints aren't used to heavy work I guess. my

    Quoted message said:

    muscles seem to develop faster than my cardio/pulmo and
    bones. last time on the leg press I could do 12 reps of
    565lbs, but my knees complained afterwards.

    See above. You're not in a power-lifting competition.

    Quoted message said:

    I can jog my block without a huge risk (only 300ft of high
    traffic road), but it is quite boring after several laps
    (small block).

    while I may have many excuses not to get out, I do take a
    walk at least 3 times a week (weather permitting). I
    figure, a few miles walked is better than nothing at all.

    If you can walk those few miles, why can't you run them?

    Good luck with the USA thing.

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: j-harris.netambfaq.htm

    b.bmx FAQ: t-online.debmx faq.htm

  9. "Pete" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Merlin" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    while I may have many excuses not to get out, I do take
    a walk at least


    3

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    times a week (weather permitting). I figure, a few miles
    walked is


    better

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    than nothing at all.

    ~Travis

    Every day. No excuses.

    You think your DI will care if there's snow on the
    ground, or it's


    raining?

    Quoted message said:

    cold enduced asthma, really does wonders for running when it
    is 20 DegF.

    Quoted message said:

    Pete and you still need to change your reply to:

    my CO says it is perfectly fine if I still use it as I am
    not fully discharged, and AFAIK, he out-ranks you. :-P

    ~Travis

  10. "Matthew Paterson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Merlin said:

    I will, as soon as it is safe to.

    You going to say that to your commanding officer when your
    platoon is under fire out in Iraq?

    'Get out there and fight, you maggot!'

    'Eh, sure captain, when its safe to do so'

    What is your major malfunction!

    --
    Matt

    Fear of a flat planet

    your mother must have dropped you as a baby.

  11. "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Merlin said:
    Quoted message said:

    You should be running everyday in the meantime. No
    matter which way it goes, it can't hurt to be in shape.
    No excuses.

    I will, as soon as it is safe to. the snow banks are
    still a bit wide,


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the ice makes it rather interesting. add to that [censored]-
    poor sidewalks


    (easy

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    way to twist an ankle) and college kids (seems when
    college is in


    session,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the average driving skill of most of the people on the
    road goes way


    down).

    Quoted message said:


    Always with the excuses...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been trying to get the guy that runs the UMF
    fitness center to


    give

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    me a monthly rate to use the track and locker room. no
    need for waits


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the other benefits I wouldn't use. besides, every time I
    use the waits,


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    end up sore for about a week.

    Then you're trying to lift too much. It's like any
    exercise, you need to build up slowly and with weights,
    you're much better off doing more reps with lighter loads.

    for me, 565lbs is a lighter load... I can do 50 reps as
    easily as 12. I stopped at 12 because my knees bothered. I
    don't use the weights anymore anyway. strong legs do not mix
    well when you are trying to build up stamina. like running a
    V8 with a Holley 4-barrel and a quart of gas.

    Quoted message said:


    joints aren't used to heavy work I guess. my

    Quoted message said:

    muscles seem to develop faster than my cardio/pulmo and
    bones. last time


    on

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the leg press I could do 12 reps of 565lbs, but my knees
    complained afterwards.

    See above. You're not in a power-lifting competition.

    Quoted message said:

    I can jog my block without a huge risk (only 300ft of
    high traffic


    road),

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but it is quite boring after several laps (small block).

    while I may have many excuses not to get out, I do take
    a walk at least


    3

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    times a week (weather permitting). I figure, a few miles
    walked is


    better

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    than nothing at all.

    If you can walk those few miles, why can't you run them?

    [censored] poor cardio/pulmo. I can jog in spurts, but always the
    same length of time. and I jog to the point where I feel
    light headed and start tripping on everything.

    Quoted message said:

    Good luck with the USA thing.

    thanks, I'll need it.

    ~Travis

  12. "BB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Merlin said:
    Quoted message said:

    You should be running everyday in the meantime. No
    matter which way it goes, it can't hurt to be in shape.
    No excuses.

    I will, as soon as it is safe to. the snow banks are
    still a bit wide,


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the ice makes it rather interesting.

    They're not going to have you running in the gym at boot
    camp, so you might as well get used to it now. Run on the
    trails, in the snow.

    actually, the first fitness test, the running is on a track
    (in or out I don't know).

    and the snow is [censored] snow at the moment. not stable enough
    to hold up somebody walking, let alone running. I'll stick
    to my block.

    ~Travis

  13. Merlin said:
    Quoted message said:

    You think your DI will care if there's snow on the
    ground, or it's


    raining?

    Quoted message said:

    cold enduced asthma, really does wonders for running when
    it is 20 DegF.

    More excuses. I get EIA (diagnosed as moderate to chronic)
    that is exacerbated by the cold. I still go out running and
    riding in those conditions.

    As a secondary point, they let you in to the US army with
    asthma?! In the UK you're barred from joining any of the
    forces if you're asthmatic and if you're subsequently
    diagnosed with asthma after joining, you get medically
    discharged.

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: j-harris.netambfaq.htm

    b.bmx FAQ: t-online.debmx faq.htm

  14. Merlin said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you can walk those few miles, why can't you run them?

    [censored] poor cardio/pulmo. I can jog in spurts, but always
    the same length of time. and I jog to the point where I
    feel light headed and start tripping on everything.

    Excuses, excuses, excuses. It's always easier for you to
    think of a reason why not to do something than it is to
    actually get off your [censored] and get on with it, isn't it?

    What on earth makes you think the best treatment for "[censored]
    poor cardio/pulmo" would be to sit on your [censored] for most of
    the day? And if your physical condition is that bad, then
    what makes you think the army will let you pass basic? What
    do you think will happen when you get told to go on a five
    mile run and you say; "Sorry Sarge, can't do it. I can only
    jog in short spurts and then I get a little light-headed"?
    Do you expect the NCO to say; "There, there, Trav. You're
    such an important commodity to the US military that we'll
    let you lie in bed and watch tv instead"?

    You are the only person who is stopping yourself achieving
    stuff Travis, and it's nothing to do with your physical
    condition. You're always looking for the easy way out and it
    will always hold you back.

    Here's some advice for the running, take it or leave it.
    When you first start running don't try to run at a fast
    pace. Start at a pace that is almost a walking speed, you
    should have enough breath available that you're able to talk
    or sing. At this level, there should still be enough oxygen
    in your bloodstream that it will still get get to your brain
    and you won't get light-headed. Build from there.

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: j-harris.netambfaq.htm

    b.bmx FAQ: t-online.debmx faq.htm

  15. Pete said:


    You think your DI will care if there's snow on the ground,
    or it's raining?

    Ummm. Yes. Very much. They love to drag your sorry ass
    out old cold, miserable days. Rain, wind, falling 12
    penny nails, whatever. A rainstorm at 1AM is their
    favorite time to play.

    The war don't stop for the weather. And in my experience,
    the heat is far, far worse than the cold. A chem suit is a
    pleasure when it's below freezing. It's pure hell when it's
    105 deg. F outside.

    Quitcher [censored] and get out there.

    --Kamus

  16. "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 08:12:21 -0500, Merlin wrote:

    You are the only person who is stopping yourself achieving
    stuff Travis, and it's nothing to do with your physical
    condition. You're always looking for the easy way out and
    it will always hold you back.


    Yup,

    The soap is being placed in the socks as we type

  17. "Kamus of Kadizhar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The war don't stop for the weather.

    Quoted message said:

    Quitcher [censored] and get out there.

    --Kamus

    New in town?

  18. "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Merlin said:
    Quoted message said:

    You think your DI will care if there's snow on the
    ground, or it's


    raining?

    Quoted message said:

    cold enduced asthma, really does wonders for running
    when it is 20 DegF.

    More excuses. I get EIA (diagnosed as moderate to chronic)
    that is exacerbated by the cold. I still go out running
    and riding in those conditions.

    As a secondary point, they let you in to the US army with
    asthma?! In the UK you're barred from joining any of the
    forces if you're asthmatic and if you're subsequently
    diagnosed with asthma after joining, you get medically
    discharged.

    not diagnosed by a medical professional, thus, a loop-hole.
    diagnosed by a friend a few years ago who was going through
    med school.

    I didn't say I don't go out. I just said when it is really
    cold, I don't get to do much exercise outside as my lungs
    and throat begin to burn, and I cough quite a bit. makes it
    difficult to keep going much farther.

    ~Travis

  19. "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Merlin said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you can walk those few miles, why can't you run
    them?

    [censored] poor cardio/pulmo. I can jog in spurts, but always
    the same length


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    time. and I jog to the point where I feel light headed
    and start


    tripping on

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    everything.

    Excuses, excuses, excuses. It's always easier for you to
    think of a reason why not to do something than it is to
    actually get off your [censored] and get on with it, isn't it?

    your mind is locked on picking out excuses and is blind to
    what i am really saying (over and over again it seems).

    again, i didn't say that i don't get out. it may not be
    every day, but i do get out most every chance i can. and
    i am not going to exert myself beyond my limits,
    otherwise i would have a heart attack and none of it
    would really matter.

    Quoted message said:

    Here's some advice for the running, take it or leave it.
    When you first start running don't try to run at a fast
    pace. Start at a pace that is almost a walking speed,
    you should have enough breath available that you're able
    to talk or sing. At this level, there should still be
    enough oxygen in your bloodstream that it will still get
    get to your brain and you won't get light-headed. Build
    from there.

    I already start with a warm-up walk for about 5 minutes,
    then progress to a light jogging. after a few minutes, when
    the lactic acid burns off, I step up to my pace of jogging
    (in other words, a comfortable pace given my leg length.
    probably faster than some, and slower than others). when I
    am so tired I start to get light-headed and start tripping,
    I slow to a fast walk for a few minutes until I recover.
    then I ease back up into a jog. I do this for about an hour
    total each time, and I use my GPS (several relatives chipped
    in and bought it for me. has topo maps for hunting, and
    roads cause I tend to get lost. Magellan Meridian Platinum)
    for keeping track of distance, average speed, and so on.
    that way I can keep track of my progress (distance over time
    gained each session).

    ~Travis

  20. "Bob Rogers" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 08:12:21 -0500, Merlin wrote:

    You are the only person who is stopping yourself
    achieving stuff Travis, and it's nothing to do with your
    physical condition. You're always


    looking

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for the easy way out and it will always hold you back.


    Yup,

    The soap is being placed in the socks as we type

    I wasn't aware the soap ever left the socks.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.