General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

OT: Visiting Chicago

Started by tintalle · · Last activity · 36 posts · 704 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 April 2006
Last activity
23 April 2006
Original author
tintalle
Posts
36
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
704
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–36 of 36
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Things have probably changed. I used to play at the Whiskey-a-go-go way
    back, and my hotel was two blocks away.
    --
    Lefty

    Life is for learning

    Those go-go bars were ready-made for larnin' life? Is that how it


    happened

    Quoted message said:

    you have your signature? ;-)))
    Just jokin' - I have to admire anyone playing an instrument -- if that is
    what you meant by 'play.'

    Dee Dee

    (I can't keep up with all these threads:-) Those clubs were an education
    alright. I love the word "play" so much better than "work", even though
    playing music for a living is as much work as play.

    You should learn to play an instrument, even just well enough to feel good
    about it --there is nothing so rewarding just to please yourself. You don't
    have to be serious beyond learning a few basics to have fun. Then come on
    over and we'll jam :-)

    My sig is my attitude --yeah I got it from "playin" :-)
    --
    Lefty

    Life is for learning
    The worst I ever had was wonderful

    Quoted message said:


  2. "Lefty" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Things have probably changed. I used to play at the Whiskey-a-go-go way
    back, and my hotel was two blocks away.
    --
    Lefty

    Life is for learning

    Those go-go bars were ready-made for larnin' life? Is that how it


    happened

    Quoted message said:

    you have your signature? ;-)))
    Just jokin' - I have to admire anyone playing an instrument -- if that is
    what you meant by 'play.'

    Dee Dee

    (I can't keep up with all these threads:-) Those clubs were an education
    alright. I love the word "play" so much better than "work", even though
    playing music for a living is as much work as play.

    You should learn to play an instrument, even just well enough to feel good
    about it --there is nothing so rewarding just to please yourself.

    Yes, I know -- I play piano.
    Dee Dee

  3. Gregory Morrow said:

    Both these places are gen - u - wine tourista traps (but then what sort of
    "advice" can one expect from a friggin' TOP POSTER -- and from Indianer no
    less...lol). The Cheesecake Factory can be found in any suburban US mall
    (and I LOATHE the waiting schtick they force their patrons to go through;
    also their portions are gross) and the Signature Room is over - priced for
    what it is.

    Agreed. But the weekday lunch buffet isnt bad.\

    Quoted message said:


    For the view from the Hancock I'd suggest simply going up to the cocktail
    bar that is one level up from the Signature Room. For the price of a
    (albeit over - priced) drink you can linger and enjoy the view...

    If you want something uniquely Chicawgo I'd go here:

    http://www.andysjazzclub.com/


    I disagree with you Greg. I've found the food and the music at Andy's
    to be pretty mediocre.

    For a uniquely chicago jazz space , go to The Green Mill:
    www.greenmilljazz.com
    4802 N Broadway St,
    Chicago, 60640 -
    (773) 878-5552
    Live music until late (4 or 5AM on weekends). Feels like you walked
    into a 1930's movie set.

    For Jazz in Chicago THIS weekend, Dee Dee Bridgewater is playing at The
    Jazz Showcase: http://www.jazzshowcase.com/
    59 W. Grand Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60610
    Telephone: (312)670-2473 (670-BIRD)
    Lots of good eats within steps of the club (Rainforest Cafe (not!),
    Gordon, Ben Pao, Topolobambo/Frontera Grill, + more)

    For jazz with a dinner before (or should that be dinner with jazz
    after?), Green Dolphin Street: http://www.jazzitup.com
    2200 N Ashland Ave,
    Chicago, IL
    (773) 395-0066
    Nice space, loud in my limited experience. Not much else in this hood
    (unless you like yuppie heaven over the bridge to the east. Webster
    Place? Clybourn? Is that it?

    Me, I'd opt for Dee Dee Bridgewater and dinner close by.

    -bwg

  4. Quoted message said:
    Gregory Morrow said:

    Both these places are gen - u - wine tourista traps (but then what sort


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "advice" can one expect from a friggin' TOP POSTER -- and from Indianer


    no

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    less...lol). The Cheesecake Factory can be found in any suburban US


    mall

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    (and I LOATHE the waiting schtick they force their patrons to go


    through;

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    also their portions are gross) and the Signature Room is over - priced


    for

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    what it is.

    Agreed. But the weekday lunch buffet isnt bad.\

    That's what I've heard, it's pretty high quality for something like twelve
    or so bux...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    For the view from the Hancock I'd suggest simply going up to the


    cocktail

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bar that is one level up from the Signature Room. For the price of a
    (albeit over - priced) drink you can linger and enjoy the view...

    If you want something uniquely Chicawgo I'd go here:

    http://www.andysjazzclub.com/


    I disagree with you Greg. I've found the food and the music at Andy's
    to be pretty mediocre.

    For a uniquely chicago jazz space , go to The Green Mill:
    www.greenmilljazz.com
    4802 N Broadway St,
    Chicago, 60640 -
    (773) 878-5552
    Live music until late (4 or 5AM on weekends). Feels like you walked
    into a 1930's movie set.

    Ah, I forgot about that! Yes, it's authentic and the "real deal", IIRC it
    opened in 1917 or so. Right next door is a great used
    music/book/memorabilia store called "Shake, Rattle, and Read". Lotsa unique
    stuff to peruse, both the rare and expensive and the cheap -- there are
    original rock posters on the wall worth thousands but you can pick up bound
    volumes of c. 1940 _National Geographics_ for five bux each. Apparently the
    guy does a thriving business with movie companies and such seeking out music
    props, etc. Now if they'd only get the Uptown Thee - ater restored (both
    businesses are storefronts in that building). Right across the way is a
    shopping plaza with a large modern Asian supermarket, a coupla blocks north
    is Argyle St. with it's plethora of Viet and Asian restos, groceries, and
    businesses, TONS of great cheap places to go (Thai Grocery, Ba Le Bakery,
    Sun Wah BBQ, pho places, etc.). At the east end of Argyle around the street
    on Sheridan is another splendid dive bar, Big Chick's. The place is
    unchanged since the 40's, the owner has expanded and has a room that doubles
    as an art gallery. She throws free (and great feeds) on Sundays. It's
    largely gay, but you'll find all kinds there -- old pensioners, cops, Goths,
    tarnnies, etc. etc., e.g. it's a great " 'hood bar" (the best kind) Very
    welcoming staff and atmosphere, you'll make friends there. You sit at the
    old bar and you can pretend it's 1939 or whenever. It's the kind of place
    you'll only find in a big urban center like Chicago, it's a real treasure.

    Quoted message said:

    For Jazz in Chicago THIS weekend, Dee Dee Bridgewater is playing at The
    Jazz Showcase: http://www.jazzshowcase.com/
    59 W. Grand Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60610
    Telephone: (312)670-2473 (670-BIRD)
    Lots of good eats within steps of the club (Rainforest Cafe (not!),
    Gordon, Ben Pao, Topolobambo/Frontera Grill, + more)

    For jazz with a dinner before (or should that be dinner with jazz
    after?), Green Dolphin Street: http://www.jazzitup.com
    2200 N Ashland Ave,
    Chicago, IL
    (773) 395-0066
    Nice space, loud in my limited experience. Not much else in this hood
    (unless you like yuppie heaven over the bridge to the east. Webster
    Place? Clybourn? Is that it?

    Me, I'd opt for Dee Dee Bridgewater and dinner close by.

    Good recommendations all, thanks. It's a pity the Berghoff is closed, that
    was always a stop for taking visitors to Chicago :-(

    Greektown just west of the Loop is fun too, they've spiffed it up. A good
    old standby is the Greek Islands on Halsted; there are tons more places.
    And Chinatown is south of the Loop, plenty to see and eat there...

    Gawd but we are blessed to live in Chicawgo, I am right proud of our city.
    Yesterday I took a long walk along the lake, from Belmont to Fullerton Beach
    and back. A crisp, sunny "technicolor" Spring day. I found myself gawping
    at the beauty of our skyline and the lake and the park -- felt the same
    sense of amazement I had when I moved here almost 30 years ago :-)

    I'd say my most "awestruck" Chicago moment happened about a decade or so
    ago. Van Cliburn playing Tchaikovsky's first Piano Concerto at a Grant Park
    concert on a clear soft - as - velvet full moon June night with the
    glittering city in the background, lights sparkling like diadems in an urban
    crown. Tens of thousands listening in rapt TOTAL silence. I thought "This
    must be what Heaven is like...". At night's end I overhead some guy from
    Texas say to his wife, "Can you believe how GREAT this place is -- and the
    concert was FREE!" :-)

    --
    Best
    Greg

  5. How was your trip to Chicago? I hope you had a great time!

    Debbie

    "tintalle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi All,
    I'm going to be spending next weekend in Chicago ( a weekend break from
    a two week business trip in Michigan). Never been there before, and
    I'm really excited!

    Wonder if any of you seasoned travellers, or Chicago locals, could give
    me any suggestions of must sees, fun things to do. Even hotel ideas
    would be good, haven't booked a place yet. We'll get into town around 8
    Friday night... and will be there till about 5 Sunday afternoon.

    Thanks everyone!

  6. How was your trip to Chicago? I hope you had a great time!

    Debbie

    "tintalle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi All,
    I'm going to be spending next weekend in Chicago ( a weekend break from
    a two week business trip in Michigan). Never been there before, and
    I'm really excited!

    Wonder if any of you seasoned travellers, or Chicago locals, could give
    me any suggestions of must sees, fun things to do. Even hotel ideas
    would be good, haven't booked a place yet. We'll get into town around 8
    Friday night... and will be there till about 5 Sunday afternoon.

    Thanks everyone!

  7. tintalle said:

    Hi All,
    I'm going to be spending next weekend in Chicago ( a weekend break from
    a two week business trip in Michigan). Never been there before, and
    I'm really excited!

    Great burritos/ excellent real Mexican food. There is a free bus that
    takes you to Pilsen from right near Mc Cormick Place.
    http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/bus/bus/chipilshuttle.pdf

    Quoted message said:


    Wonder if any of you seasoned travellers, or Chicago locals, could give
    me any suggestions of must sees, fun things to do. Even hotel ideas
    would be good, haven't booked a place yet. We'll get into town around 8
    Friday night... and will be there till about 5 Sunday afternoon.

    Go to priceline or hotwire or one of those type sites and stay on the
    Magnificent Mile. Get the free trolley to hook up with the bus to
    Pilsen. Hey, you did post this to a food NG.

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks everyone!

    Go to the Art Institute. The trolley goes there free too.

    --Bryan

  8. "Food Snob" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:1145479475.400222.182830
    @i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:


    tintalle said:

    Hi All,
    I'm going to be spending next weekend in Chicago ( a weekend break


    from

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a two week business trip in Michigan). Never been there before, and
    I'm really excited!

    Great burritos/ excellent real Mexican food. There is a free bus that
    takes you to Pilsen from right near Mc Cormick Place.
    http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/bus/bus/chipilshuttle.pdf

    Quoted message said:


    Wonder if any of you seasoned travellers, or Chicago locals, could


    give

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    me any suggestions of must sees, fun things to do. Even hotel ideas
    would be good, haven't booked a place yet. We'll get into town around


    8

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Friday night... and will be there till about 5 Sunday afternoon.

    Go to priceline or hotwire or one of those type sites and stay on the
    Magnificent Mile. Get the free trolley to hook up with the bus to
    Pilsen. Hey, you did post this to a food NG.

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks everyone!

    Go to the Art Institute. The trolley goes there free too.

    --Bryan

    There was a 5-star restaurant we dined at during a stay in Chicago back
    in 1985 called... "The Bakery"??? I forget the cuisine but it sure was
    fine dining! The likes of which I've not prior nor since experienced.

    I think it was Chicago!?!?! Or was it Boston!?!?!

    Andy
    I have a great memory, it's just short.

  9. "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Food Snob" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:1145479475.400222.182830
    @i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:


    tintalle said:

    Hi All,
    I'm going to be spending next weekend in Chicago ( a weekend break


    from

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a two week business trip in Michigan). Never been there before, and
    I'm really excited!

    Great burritos/ excellent real Mexican food. There is a free bus that
    takes you to Pilsen from right near Mc Cormick Place.
    http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/bus/bus/chipilshuttle.pdf

    Quoted message said:


    Wonder if any of you seasoned travellers, or Chicago locals, could


    give

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    me any suggestions of must sees, fun things to do. Even hotel ideas
    would be good, haven't booked a place yet. We'll get into town around


    8

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Friday night... and will be there till about 5 Sunday afternoon.

    Go to priceline or hotwire or one of those type sites and stay on the
    Magnificent Mile. Get the free trolley to hook up with the bus to
    Pilsen. Hey, you did post this to a food NG.

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks everyone!

    Go to the Art Institute. The trolley goes there free too.

    --Bryan

    There was a 5-star restaurant we dined at during a stay in Chicago back
    in 1985 called... "The Bakery"??? I forget the cuisine but it sure was
    fine dining! The likes of which I've not prior nor since experienced.

    I think it was Chicago!?!?! Or was it Boston!?!?!

    Andy
    I have a great memory, it's just short.

    OT: Price Line -- we bid for a hotel about 2 weeks ago. When we bid too
    low, they actually told us the amount that they would accept. This was a
    surprise. I guess to keep you from bidding too low, trying to figure out
    what they will accept, they will only accept one bid a day.
    Dee Dee

  10. Andy said:

    There was a 5-star restaurant we dined at during a stay in Chicago back
    in 1985 called... "The Bakery"??? I forget the cuisine but it sure was
    fine dining! The likes of which I've not prior nor since experienced.

    I think it was Chicago!?!?! Or was it Boston!?!?!

    At Lincoln and Armitage in Chicago; has been closed since at least the
    late 80's..it was the ne ultra plus of fine dining thirty - odd years
    ago...

    It was classic French, the place was owned by a Hungarian emigre, Louis
    Szamathary (?). He had a huge collection of cookbooks and ephemera
    which he willed to Johnson & Wales culinary school in Rhode Island...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  11. Dee Randall said:

    OT: Price Line -- we bid for a hotel about 2 weeks ago. When we bid too
    low, they actually told us the amount that they would accept. This was a
    surprise. I guess to keep you from bidding too low, trying to figure out
    what they will accept, they will only accept one bid a day.

    For Priceline bidding strategies go to this helpful site:

    http://www.betterbidding.com

    --
    Best
    Greg

  12. "Gregory Morrow" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    Andy said:

    There was a 5-star restaurant we dined at during a stay in Chicago


    back

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in 1985 called... "The Bakery"??? I forget the cuisine but it sure was
    fine dining! The likes of which I've not prior nor since experienced.

    I think it was Chicago!?!?! Or was it Boston!?!?!

    At Lincoln and Armitage in Chicago; has been closed since at least the
    late 80's..it was the ne ultra plus of fine dining thirty - odd years
    ago...

    It was classic French, the place was owned by a Hungarian emigre, Louis
    Szamathary (?). He had a huge collection of cookbooks and ephemera
    which he willed to Johnson & Wales culinary school in Rhode Island...

    Greg,

    Many thanks for explaining it so well!!

    I've always remembered the dinner but it was shameful, fine dining and
    discussing business as if the food was unimportant that ruined the
    experience to such an extent, so-to-speak.

    Andy

  13. My trip was great! We sorta did the sightseeing thing. Had lunch at
    Giordano's ( i think) and dinner one night at Maggiano's. Dinner was
    good, the service was great. I can't wait to go back and spend a
    weekend doing the museum/art gallery thing. That's my plan for next
    time. I'll probably have more time to check out some fun eatery places
    next trip. Thanks for all the tips folks!

  14. Gregory Morrow said:
    Dee Randall said:

    OT: Price Line -- we bid for a hotel about 2 weeks ago. When we bid too
    low, they actually told us the amount that they would accept. This was a
    surprise. I guess to keep you from bidding too low, trying to figure out
    what they will accept, they will only accept one bid a day.

    For Priceline bidding strategies go to this helpful site:

    http://www.betterbidding.com

    THANK YOU!

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Best
    Greg

    --Bryan

  15. Food Snob said:
    Gregory Morrow said:
    Dee Randall said:

    OT: Price Line -- we bid for a hotel about 2 weeks ago. When we bid


    too

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    low, they actually told us the amount that they would accept. This


    was a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    surprise. I guess to keep you from bidding too low, trying to figure


    out

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    what they will accept, they will only accept one bid a day.

    For Priceline bidding strategies go to this helpful site:

    http://www.betterbidding.com

    THANK YOU!

    You are welcome. The Better Bidding site is recommended by _Consumer
    Reports_ and the moderators are friendly and welcoming (unlike a similar
    site where the moderator is a [censored] ON WHEELS; her RUDE and DUPLICITOUS
    behaviour towards board participants was the main reason why _CR_ didn't
    even mention her site)...

    You can also check out the travel bidding board at:

    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=204

    You'll get lots of tips and strategies there too...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  16. "Gregory Morrow" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Food Snob said:
    Gregory Morrow said:

    Dee Randall wrote:

    > OT: Price Line -- we bid for a hotel about 2 weeks ago. When we bid


    too

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > low, they actually told us the amount that they would accept. This


    was a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > surprise. I guess to keep you from bidding too low, trying to figure


    out

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > what they will accept, they will only accept one bid a day.

    For Priceline bidding strategies go to this helpful site:

    http://www.betterbidding.com

    THANK YOU!

    You are welcome. The Better Bidding site is recommended by _Consumer
    Reports_ and the moderators are friendly and welcoming (unlike a similar
    site where the moderator is a [censored] ON WHEELS; her RUDE and DUPLICITOUS
    behaviour towards board participants was the main reason why _CR_ didn't
    even mention her site)...

    You can also check out the travel bidding board at:

    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=204

    You'll get lots of tips and strategies there too...

    --
    Best
    Greg


    I just got this information today from you, Greg. We just made an accepted
    bid on Priceline for two nights. DH said that he learned something new
    AFTER the bid that could've helped him. Next time, we'll be better prepared
    with your tips. Thanks.
    Dee Dee

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.