Other Ways To Train

closesupport said:
i'm a warehouse operative, i'm walking lifting, pulling 7 hours aday I cycle 10 miles to and from work each day, at 23-35mph well except this week which i have been struggling to push out 20mph, i have felt drained and a real lack of energy, i have been throwing in 10-15mile rides each night (mashing / spinning and intervals) upto the last 3 weeks so lets say i have been doing between 150/250miles per week, i have been consuming 4-5000 after longer rides the days following i have consumed even more, calories but i have lost half a stone in the last 2mths this bought of illnes has taken some few more pounds extra, maybe its due to i'm still trying to maintain my job, even though the motivation to ride has diminished and the fact that i'm suffering from possibly an illness..... i'd say around 2700kcal without the rides.

Perhaps you need to take a few days rest, Close ?

4-5000 cals per day sounds high but you are doing physical work in your job and then training as well.
Still think it's slightly high caloric intake, though.

If you're getting ill - it's obvious that your immune system is down and needs
to be replenished in order for you to be able to withstand colds/flu.
Training while feeling weak is counterproductive and can be harmful, if done to extremes.
Take time out for a couple of days and get yourself better, before training again.

limerickman said:
With all due respect to Ric Stern and the other knowledgable people here : I
disagree that other types of training don't help cycling.

Maybe it's psychological or perhaps my fitness levels drop dramatically but I find in winter, that with little or no sunlight, that I have to do something in order to maintain my fitness and I find running is very good.

this is basically what i said above -- if you can't cycle then any exercise is good

My fitness levels are maintained

this will be highly dependent upon your starting level and how much cycling you do at the weekends (you can maintain fitness if intensity of training is kept constant and volume is decreased). in cyclists who race, running would not maintain cycling fitness (if no cycling was done). in less trained riders this may not be the case

OK - I can accept the premise that perhaps running, specifically, won't get to me to cycle up that mountain more quickly : but if I did not exercise during winter, I'd never be able to climb that mountain, come spring.

exactly, and this is what i said in an earlier post

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
this is basically what i said above -- if you can't cycle then any exercise is good

this will be highly dependent upon your starting level and how much cycling you do at the weekends (you can maintain fitness if intensity of training is kept constant and volume is decreased). in cyclists who race, running would not maintain cycling fitness (if no cycling was done). in less trained riders this may not be the case

exactly, and this is what i said in an earlier post

ric

Cycling is my preferred option - used to be competitive many years ago and I still train, but am no longer competitive.
If I cannot cycle - and do nothing, weight starts to increase.
When I cannot cycle (such as weekdays during the winter), I run to keep my weight in check.
I cycle weekends.
Thanks for your help - Ric.
Your posts are always informative.

closesupport said:
helps the cardiovascular system, so inturn would benefit cycling but mainly maintaining a relatively high fitness level,
Hello C. FredC here. The Moston Dangler. Why not come and join us on our XES thread at Bloody Soapbox. Say Hello.

philhudson said:
What are the other ways to train without a turbo trainer or on the bike?
Come and join us on XES in Bloody soapbox. Say Hello.

Gilders said:
How many miles do you normally cycle a week and how hard? How many kcals do you need a day - without exercise - to maintain your weight? Curious to know just because If I were consuming 4 -5000 calories a day on the amount I do per week (90 - 120 miles), I'd be the size of a 'bus...!
I calculate my fuel needs like this:

Base 2500 kcal/day

Endurance rides 600 kcal /hour
Tempo/ Near LT: 900 kcal /hour
Above LT training: 1100 kcal /hour

Fits me fine...