[OTish] Kinetics Website AWOL

Mike Civil

Guest
Not sure if anyone here knows the owner(s) of Kinetic but they may want
to know that the DNS for their domains is extremely knackered resulting
in their websites being unreachable.

Noticed this yesterday as DNS servers timed out their data (first Eclipse,
then Demon). It appears that the NS records for their domains may be
invalid as they point to dns servers in the usnuk.net domain which
doesn't appear to have been renewed (expired 6/8/05 according to Network
Solutions)....

Mike

As the site is unavailable, can someone here convince me why I need a
SON at £110 (according to google cache) rather than an Ultegra at
£65?

iakobski wrote:

> As the site is unavailable, can someone here convince me why I need a
> SON at £110 (according to google cache) rather than an Ultegra at
> £65?

Lighter
Better bearings, and not excluded in the (5 yr!)guarantee either
Lower resistance
Much more reliable connectors and wiring
Just about any drilling 24..48H
Original, not a me too product
Repairable (S will probably give you a new one, you sort out the
spoking)
Made by a small friendly company you can actually talk to (and they need
your money more than Shimano does ;)

and maybe www.m-gineering.nl/sindexg.htm is of any help
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

iakobski wrote:

> As the site is unavailable, can someone here convince me why I need a
> SON at £110 (according to google cache) rather than an Ultegra at
> £65?

Lighter
Better bearings, and not excluded in the (5 yr!)guarantee either
Lower resistance
Much more reliable connectors and wiring
Just about any drilling 24..48H
Original, not a me too product
Repairable (S will probably give you a new one, you sort out the
spoking)
Made by a small friendly company you can actually talk to (and they need
your money more than Shimano does ;)

and maybe www.m-gineering.nl/sindexg.htm is of any help
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:41:36 +0000 (UTC),
Mike Civil <[email protected]> wrote:
> Not sure if anyone here knows the owner(s) of Kinetic but they may want
> to know that the DNS for their domains is extremely knackered resulting
> in their websites being unreachable.
>
> Noticed this yesterday as DNS servers timed out their data (first Eclipse,
> then Demon). It appears that the NS records for their domains may be
> invalid as they point to dns servers in the usnuk.net domain which
> doesn't appear to have been renewed (expired 6/8/05 according to Network
> Solutions)....
>
> Mike

Ouch!

Kinetics number is 0141 942 2552. If you want to view kinetics website
then you can get it by putting
62.149.33.134 www.kinetics.org.uk
into your hosts file (yes there is one in windows but I can't remember
exactly where, something like /winnt/system32/drivers/etc/hosts) but if
you are using a proxy server then this won't work.

kinetics.org.uk. 86400 IN A 62.149.33.134
www.kinetics.org.uk. 86400 IN CNAME kinetics.org.uk.

Ben's registrar is http://www.ultraspeed.co.uk/ who also own the
netblock that has Ben's website and possibly own usnuk.net as well as
the domain servers are in their netblocks too.

dns.usnuk.net. 3600 IN A 62.149.34.10
dns2.usnuk.net. 3600 IN A 62.149.33.49

Needless to say, ultraspeed.co.uk appear not totally with it. Their
website brings my P1000 laptop to it's knees with the scrolling images
in Javascript and their website doesn't work at all with Javascript
turned off.

I cycle along city road every day so maybe I should pop in tomorrow and
tell them their systems are borked. I won't bother as I doubt I'll be
able to get through the 300 levels of security in less than 4 hours and
find someone who actually understands anything to talk to.

address: Suite 254 Kemp House
address: 152 - 160 City Road
address: London, EC1V 2NX, United Kingdom
phone: +44 (0) 800 6899898
remarks: trouble: [email protected]

Maybe some kind soul would like to try their 0800 number?

Tim.

and there was light.

Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:
>Needless to say, ultraspeed.co.uk appear not totally with it. Their
>website brings my P1000 laptop to it's knees with the scrolling images
>in Javascript and their website doesn't work at all with Javascript
>turned off.

ISWYM. I tried their website and it looks like a 'designed for IE' style
over content type of affair. Couldn't access the contact pages from the
menu bar using Opera, Firefox or Konqueror (all under Linux). Gave up and
emailed [email protected] (for all the good it'll probably do).

I wonder how many other domains have "disappeared"?

Mike

iakobski wrote:
> As the site is unavailable, can someone here convince me why I need a
> SON at £110 (according to google cache) rather than an Ultegra at
> £65?

I've bought both from Ben. The Ultegra gives you more bangs per buck,
the SON gives you more bangs absolute. So if you can run to the extra
money okay then do so, but if you can't you'll still get a very good bit
of kit (as opposed to a very, very good bit of kit).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:23:42 +0000 (UTC),
Mike Civil <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Needless to say, ultraspeed.co.uk appear not totally with it. Their
>>website brings my P1000 laptop to it's knees with the scrolling images
>>in Javascript and their website doesn't work at all with Javascript
>>turned off.

> ISWYM. I tried their website and it looks like a 'designed for IE' style
> over content type of affair. Couldn't access the contact pages from the
> menu bar using Opera, Firefox or Konqueror (all under Linux). Gave up and
> emailed [email protected] (for all the good it'll probably do).
>
> I wonder how many other domains have "disappeared"?

That might have worked. It's now all back up with:
Name servers listed in order:
dns1.ultraspeed.net 62.149.34.10
dns2.ultraspeed.net 62.149.33.49

in the whois record but:
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
kinetics.org.uk. 86389 IN NS dns.usnuk.net.
kinetics.org.uk. 86389 IN NS dns2.usnuk.net.

in the dns record (although that might just be my local dns server
caching)

Tim.

and there was light.