Ouch!

cfsmtb

Apr 11, 2003
This one from this morning brough back memories from the mid-70's. A kid at a nearby school did a similar injury, but a pedal into the shin. Arrrgggggg! Also from memory he made a complete recovery.

Despite the *winch* factor involved, I'd sooner hear of the occasional story like this, rather reading in 10-20 years time of chronic health complications caused by a relatively young generation of lard-**** adults.

BTW - those of us reading via cyclingforums might of noticed the IV line has disengaged to the newsgroup, you can easily cross check the threads on googlegroups.

http://groups.google.com.au/group/aus.bicycle/topics

Hopefully normal transmission with resume shortly. ;)

Brake lever spears boy's thigh
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/brake-lever-spears-boys-thigh/2007/02/05/1170523991264.html
February 5, 2007 - 9:57AM

Rescuers have had to cut a BMX bike from a 12-year-old boy after the bike's brake lever became stuck in his thigh. Metropolitan Ambulance Service group manager Greg Gibson said paramedics were called to Ohea Street in Pascoe Vale South at 8.15 this morning after a young boy fell from his bike.

"On arrival they found a 12 year-old boy had fallen off his BMX bike and was face down on the ground, conscious and alert, but on further investigation they found the brake lever of the bike had embedded into his upper thigh," Mr Gibson said.

"It's of course extremely difficult to take him (to hospital) attached to the bike so we had to call the fire brigade rescue unit and they were able to detach the handle bars from the bike and they then used cutting devices to cut most of the handle bar away."

Mr Gibson said the alloy brake lever was left deeply embedded in the boy's thigh, and described it as a "serious injury".

"We put an intravenous line in and gave him some morphine and he was an amazing young boy, very calm, very collected, spoke to us right through the incident and didn't shed a tear at all. He was a very brave kid.

"I was quite amazed . . . even when the intravenous line was popped in, usually kids and needles don't go hand in hand but he said 'yep no worries, that's fine'."

The boy was taken to the Royal Childrens Hospital in a stable condition.

>"I was quite amazed . . . even when the intravenous line was popped in, >usually kids and needles don't go hand in hand but he said 'yep no worries, >that's fine'."

Pffft. Regular user with a creative method of getting a free hit. :D

Paulie-AU said:
Regular user with a creative method of getting a free hit.

If he was a regular user surely it would be "Oh f**k yeah that its, no wait I can still feel some pain, pump some more in there, thanks."

MikeyOz said:
If he was a regular user surely it would be "Oh f**k yeah that its, no wait I can still feel some pain, pump some more in there, thanks."

If he was indeed a hardened user, he would of cursed and swore at the ambu's for ruining his hit.

Bad jape. Sorry.