Outer Banks North Carolina - May 2008

teigeman

Jul 28, 2004
This forum was very helpful in gathering information prior to my insanely successful Florida Keys bike tour last spring - so now I'm back again, trolling and lurking for the 411 for 2008's big trip!

Memorial Day (May 23-28) weekend is the chosen date for this season's mini-mega bike trip, and I've chosen the Outer Banks (OB) area of North Carolina as the destination. The decision is based partially on my curiosity about the area's beaches, wind, water and food, and partially on my desire to complete the trifecta of East Coast sealocked landforms ('06 Cape Cod, '07 Florida Keys, so '08 HAS to be the 'banks...) by bike.

So what's up? Besides the obvious possibility of traffic issues during Memorial Day weekend, who knows the deal on the OB? Check out the rough itinerary below and let me know if I am just dreaming (again) or if this route will actually fly:

Arrive Newport News, VA. airport day one around noon. Rent a cheap car and drive to Kitty Hawk, NC to retrieve pre-assembled (shipped previously) bike and gear, saddle up and spin down to Oregon Inlet campground near Nag's Head. (@25-30 miles riding)

Day two: Ride south 35-40 miles to Cape Point campground near Buxton, NC, stopping along the way for beach, beer, pics and etc. (35-40 miles riding)

Day three: Ride out-and-back southwest to Ocracoke, NC via ferry, spend day hanging out in Ocracoke and the beach (Ocracocke Lifeguard Beach won best American beach in 2007!), then back to Cape Point campground for the night. (@ 50 miles riding)

Day four: Northward riding all day, back to Kitty Hawk/Nag's Head/Kill Devil Hills, or whatever - beaches, beers and maybe some late night beverages in town. (@ 63 miles riding)

Day five: sleep off the beverages, beach, pack and ship gear/bikes, lunch, then catch 5:30 p.m. flight out of Newport News, VA. - Home by 10 p.m. (@ 5-10 miles riding)

Obviously this trip isn't designed to be "epic" in duration, but I think it has large potential to be as hard-core of a bikepacking adventure as I like, with the added bonus of being able to bail for cocktails or pizza at many points along the route. Like the Keys and Cape trips, I plan to take time to experience the place, not just haul ass through it.

Anyone out there familiar with this route or area? Please offer your impressions of the plan as it exists now, and if you have any suggestions they are welcomed whole-heartedly.

Cheers, and keep spinning!

tg

So what's up? Besides the obvious possibility of traffic issues during Memorial Day weekend, who knows the deal on the OB? Check out the rough itinerary below and let me know if I am just dreaming (again) or if this route will actually fly:

Arrive Newport News, VA. airport day one around noon. Rent a cheap car and drive to Kitty Hawk, NC to retrieve pre-assembled (shipped previously) bike and gear, saddle up and spin down to Oregon Inlet campground near Nag's Head. (@25-30 miles riding)
> I arrived here at dusk. The main road is very busy and there a tonnes of idiots driving as fast as they can to get to their rentals. Best bet here is to stay coastal. I can't remember the name of the road (I believe it's rt 1) but there are bike trails on the shoulder and the speed limit is 25mph. You can travel that road till it merges with the southbound road a little south of Nags Head. I had about 500 miles on my feet when I arrived and stayed in Nags Head that evening (in my tent:). The next day I checked into the YMCA which has 2 great pools and is a wonderful facility.

Here's a suggestion, you might want to veer off the path before going to Oregon Inlet and go to Roanake Island. The island is beautiful, historic and bike friendly. I ended up there quite by accident, lost and confused I stopped at Big Al's Soda Fountain & Grill to have the 1st soda in days and ask for directions. The owner (Vanessa I believe) showed me how far off my path I was and seeing the look in my eyes offered to drive me back to the inlet. Then she pointed me out the back door, at her home, said she'd call Big Al to show me where to throw my tent.I showered in their pool house and slept by the bay. You will need DEET! The next morning I set off to explore the island. It's a worthy side trip. Their grill is amazing to see, like out of the 50's.

>Ok.. here's where I discuss wind. Prevailing wind is S/SW and it can be BRUTAL. I seem to remember the trip from the Oregon Inlet to Rodanth to be the hardest headwind and most tiring part of my trip. I believe I traveled from Roanoke to Rodanth the wind was soo strong. The way I saw it was I was just putting in my "dues" for my return trip:). I ended up staying in Rodanth that evening. Stopping at a convenience store across the street from where I stayed, drink a few beers and use their WIFI. Along this route is a National Wildlife Preserve called Pea Island
that has some interesting planks to bird watch. I also saw a dead bald eagle on this route.

Day three: Ride out-and-back southwest to Ocracoke, NC via ferry, spend day hanging out in Ocracoke and the beach (Ocracocke Lifeguard Beach won best American beach in 2007!), then back to Cape Point campground for the night. (@ 50 miles riding)

I spent my night in Hatteras and stayed in a hotel. I got up in the morning took the 1st ferry to Ocracoke. I reserved a place at the campground there. Do yourself a favor, spend some time in Ocracoke! I ended up spending 5 or 6 days there. The beaches, the food the nightlife are wonderful and a bike is all you need on that island. The Jolly Roger for sundown beers on the bay followed by dinner at Howards... stumbling home numb:)

Day four: Northward riding all day, back to Kitty Hawk/Nag's Head/Kill Devil Hills, or whatever - beaches, beers and maybe some late night beverages in town. (@ 63 miles riding)

>Avon has some nice places to eat on the way back north. There's an all you can eat shrimp special on the way that's worth stopping at. I made an absolute pig of myself there. Oh... the wind turned on me so once again... I had a head wind:) And on the non-business route of 1 there's a couple of good restaurants.

Anyone out there familiar with this route or area? Please offer your impressions of the plan as it exists now, and if you have any suggestions they are welcomed whole-heartedly.

>I headed up further north to Corollas. In Duck the bike trail is off the street road making the drive real, real nice. It's a route less traveled by the KittyHawk crowd and the property is real real nice. My objective was to do the whole outer banks and that included Corollas. I was hard-core on my way down, top rammen and tuna for meals.. watching diet carefully, no drinking..ect. After I made it to Ocracoke and started partying... I never stopped on the way home with no effect on my performance. At the end I was doing century days back to back. I loved the trip and never work more then polypro the whole time. Let me know if you have any more questions.

tg[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Great to meet up with someone who has been-there-and-done-that. Speaking of partying, isn't part of the OBX a dry county? Any idea wher the dividing line is?

Anyway... based on your suggestions we have changed the tour route to include at least one night's stay in Ocracoke - I had suspected that Ocra was "where it's at" at least on the southern shores. I've also made note of the eats you mentioned, particularly that in Ocracoke - sundown beers sound like a don't-miss to me...

Let me get with my crew and get some follow up questions together for you - I am sure you can give us even more insight into how to make the trip it's best. One question for now... How narrow/freakish was the Herbert Bonner Bridge near Oregon Inlet? I heard it scored a "2" on a safety scale of "1-100" last year - not that confidence inspiring. Anything else you'd like to share would be great, and like I said, I'll get some Q's together for you soon.

Thanks a million!

tg

>I headed up further north to Corollas. In Duck the bike trail is off the street road making the drive real, real nice. It's a route less traveled by the KittyHawk crowd and the property is real real nice. My objective was to do the whole outer banks and that included Corollas. I was hard-core on my way down, top rammen and tuna for meals.. watching diet carefully, no drinking..ect. After I made it to Ocracoke and started partying... I never stopped on the way home with no effect on my performance. At the end I was doing century days back to back. I loved the trip and never work more then polypro the whole time. Let me know if you have any more questions.

tg[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

teigeman said:
Awesome! Great to meet up with someone who has been-there-and-done-that. Speaking of partying, isn't part of the OBX a dry county? Any idea wher the dividing line is?

Anyway... based on your suggestions we have changed the tour route to include at least one night's stay in Ocracoke - I had suspected that Ocra was "where it's at" at least on the southern shores. I've also made note of the eats you mentioned, particularly that in Ocracoke - sundown beers sound like a don't-miss to me...
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]There was a moratorium on liquor in Ocracoke, I believe last year was the 1st time it was served. I met a yeager-monster at Howards Pub and got quite a bill, as shots were $6.00 each. So BYO liquor if that's your poison. Other then that, I don't seem to remember any problem buying wine or beer. One more food recommendation, next to The Rogger there's an outdoor bar, right on the bay. I had a great hamburger there, or I was hungry!

As far as the bridge you mentioned, it wasn't that bad, as traffic can see you. Let me mention the one mistake I made on my trip. The bridge you mentioned crosses to Pea Island, a eco reserve. Going south, exiting the bridge for 2 miles there is new pavement with virtually no shoulder. This was on my return trip, hence I was traveling north. I reached Rodanth close to dusk, had lots of energy and decided to head to the Inlet. Two miles south of the bridge, the shoulder ends, it's dark and traffic is just plain scary. Especially seeing oncoming traffic, speeding and overtaking vehicles, I was plain scared. The shoulder drops off like 10" into sand and I've made a BIG MISTAKE. I'm about to call the Highway Patrol when an SUV pulls up, stops and asks if he can help. I threw my bike and bob in the Forerunner and he took me to the Inlet. That was the only mistake I made the whole trip and I was helped by another cross country cyclist.

I visited the outerbanks january 2010 and a new company gave me a great deal on an electric powered bicycle. I know the workout is the main part of cycling but with being out of cycling for 10+ years i really enjoyed the extra help from the electric power. I was able to see most of duck and corolla in just one trip with 20 mph and nearly 40 miles on the battery i was very pleased with this new generation in cycling. Tree Hugging Fun - Electric Bike Rental & Sales Outer Banks is the company i used i would definitely check into it if your interested in exploring the outerbanks on our all short vacations.

Oh please.. You are either a troll or you reek of spam. Mr. Moderator.. Please moderate or delete my comments in this thread. You have NO RIGHT associating my name for your commercial gain.

Besides your assisted "bicycle", do you also have a pennis pump?

(entered with my cell phone.. Somewhere along the rio Magdelena, Colombia, with out assistance.. How the old do it)