novice skinned some chicken thighs and put them in the oven placed on foil
on a metal tray at 200 c for 35 mins or so. they seemed rather dry. what
should i best do keep them a bit more moist next time please? thanks
General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion
oven thighs too dry
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- General fitness, health and nutrition
- Published
- 6 June 2006
- Last activity
- 7 June 2006
- Original author
- jw 1111
- Posts
- 13
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 279
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
jw 1111 said:
novice skinned some chicken thighs and put them in the oven placed on foil
on a metal tray at 200 c for 35 mins or so. they seemed rather dry. what
should i best do keep them a bit more moist next time please? thanksReduce the temperature to about 135 c until done, (clear juice) and leave
the skin on. -
jw 1111 said:
novice skinned some chicken thighs and put them in the oven placed on foil
on a metal tray at 200 c for 35 mins or so. they seemed rather dry. what
should i best do keep them a bit more moist next time please? thanksLeave the skin on.
-
jw 1111 said:
novice skinned some chicken thighs and put them in the oven placed on foil
on a metal tray at 200 c for 35 mins or so. they seemed rather dry. what
should i best do keep them a bit more moist next time please? thanksThe skin keeps the moisture in... if you really want to cook them
without skin/fat you have to add other liquid to keep them from drying
out unless you really enjoy eating chicken shoe leather for dinner...
the other way to keep them moist is to crumb/batter them so they have
a protective coating on them. -
jw 1111 said:
novice skinned some chicken thighs and put them in the oven placed on foil
on a metal tray at 200 c for 35 mins or so. they seemed rather dry. what
should i best do keep them a bit more moist next time please? thanksThe skin helps to retain moisture. There is also a heck of a lot of flavour in
that skin. You can rub them with oil or marinate them in something. Yoghurt
makes a great chicken marinade. Add some lemon juice, vegetable oil and
Tandoori powder and marinate them over night, then cook in a hot oven. -
jw 1111 said:
novice skinned some chicken thighs and put them in the oven placed on foil
on a metal tray at 200 c for 35 mins or so. they seemed rather dry. what
should i best do keep them a bit more moist next time please? thanksmarinate them
Grizzman
-
jw 1111 said:
novice skinned some chicken thighs and put them in the oven placed on foil
on a metal tray at 200 c for 35 mins or so. they seemed rather dry. what
should i best do keep them a bit more moist next time please? thanksAll of the fat in chicken is in the skin. Leave the skin on to cook. If
you want to remove the skin before eating, you can.If you must skin the chicken before cooking, put the pieces in an
oven-safe baking dish, add about 1/4 cup water, cover with tight-fitting
lid or aluminum foil and bake. The bit of water will create steam and help
keep in moisture.Elaine, too
--
-
jw 1111 said:
novice skinned some chicken thighs and put them in the oven placed on foil
on a metal tray at 200 c for 35 mins or so. they seemed rather dry. what
should i best do keep them a bit more moist next time please? thanksAs everyone has said, keep the skin on. Additionally, you may want to
score the skin (slash with a sharp knife, but don't cut all the way
through to the meat) several times to allow the fat to render/drain,
and you end up with crisper skin. Mmmmmm....roasted chicken thighs
with crispy skin are heaven!Sandy
-
<[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
jw 1111 said:
novice skinned some chicken thighs and put them in the oven placed on
foil
on a metal tray at 200 c for 35 mins or so. they seemed rather dry.
what
should i best do keep them a bit more moist next time please? thanksAs everyone has said, keep the skin on. Additionally, you may want to
score the skin (slash with a sharp knife, but don't cut all the way
through to the meat) several times to allow the fat to render/drain,
and you end up with crisper skin. Mmmmmm....roasted chicken thighs
with crispy skin are heaven!Sandy
Hi, Sandy, you can have mine. It's all white meat for me. Crispy fatty
skin? No way. I always marvel at different tastes in food.Now I understand what the hi/low broil is used for. Hi is 550º and Low is
450º, making for a moister piece of meat.
Just learned that here.
Dee Dee -
Dee Randall wrote:
Mmmmmm....roasted chicken thighsQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
with crispy skin are heaven!
Sandy
Hi, Sandy, you can have mine. It's all white meat for me. Crispy fatty
skin? No way. I always marvel at different tastes in food.Dee Dee
Yes, I marvel at it too, appreciate it for what it's worth, and wish
more people had the manners to accept the fact that we all have
different tastes rather than scream, "YUCK!!". Really, a lot of what
we know to be our comfort foods are foods that were fed to us as
children...we had no control over the ingredients nor cooking methods,
but somehow felt the love put into it by our (insert loving caregiver
here) mother, grandmother, nana, pa-pa, etc. My mom used 1950s and
1960s Betty Crocker and Pillsbury recipe books for many of her meals,
and while they are not at all sophisticated, and use "disgusting"
ingredients like canned cream-of-whatever soups, I still think about
them with a sense of comfort and happiness.Sandy
-
jw 1111 said:
novice skinned some chicken thighs and put them in the oven placed on foil
on a metal tray at 200 c for 35 mins or so. they seemed rather dry.I buy boneless skinless thighs, brown them well, add to a baking pan
with plenty of garlic and one can of chicken broth mixed with some dry
vermouth. Herbs too are added. Whatever I have fresh. I baste them
a lot and cook for about one hour at 375.. They come out moist and
delicious. Never fail. The resulting juices can be thickened or simply
just mopped up with bread, pasta or rice. -
<[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Dee Randall wrote:
Mmmmmm....roasted chicken thighsQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
with crispy skin are heaven!
Sandy
Hi, Sandy, you can have mine. It's all white meat for me. Crispy fatty
skin? No way. I always marvel at different tastes in food.Dee Dee
Yes, I marvel at it too, appreciate it for what it's worth, and wish
more people had the manners to accept the fact that we all have
different tastes rather than scream, "YUCK!!". Really, a lot of what
we know to be our comfort foods are foods that were fed to us as
children...we had no control over the ingredients nor cooking methods,
but somehow felt the love put into it by our (insert loving caregiver
here) mother, grandmother, nana, pa-pa, etc. My mom used 1950s and
1960s Betty Crocker and Pillsbury recipe books for many of her meals,
and while they are not at all sophisticated, and use "disgusting"
ingredients like canned cream-of-whatever soups, I still think about
them with a sense of comfort and happiness.Sandy
This made me think about what I used to cook in the 50's and 60's. I CANNOT
remember anything except: spaghetti, roast beef potatoes and gravy, macaroni
goulash, liver and onions on Friday, meatloaf, deviled eggs, brownies,
cottage cheese and peaches, open a can of green beans and peas. I don't
recall buying anything frozen at all except Sara Lee's pecan coffee cake;
all I remember buying 'in-a-box' was a pizza kit, and pillsbury biscuits in
a can. I don't recall buying very many fresh vegetables until I moved to
California in 1964.I'm thrilled I've lived so long as to experience some different foods.
Dee Dee -
"Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
<[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Dee Randall wrote:
Mmmmmm....roasted chicken thighsQuoted message said:
> with crispy skin are heaven!
>
> SandyHi, Sandy, you can have mine. It's all white meat for me. Crispy fatty
skin? No way. I always marvel at different tastes in food.Dee Dee
Yes, I marvel at it too, appreciate it for what it's worth, and wish
more people had the manners to accept the fact that we all have
different tastes rather than scream, "YUCK!!". Really, a lot of what
we know to be our comfort foods are foods that were fed to us as
children...we had no control over the ingredients nor cooking methods,
but somehow felt the love put into it by our (insert loving caregiver
here) mother, grandmother, nana, pa-pa, etc. My mom used 1950s and
1960s Betty Crocker and Pillsbury recipe books for many of her meals,
and while they are not at all sophisticated, and use "disgusting"
ingredients like canned cream-of-whatever soups, I still think about
them with a sense of comfort and happiness.Sandy
This made me think about what I used to cook in the 50's and 60's. I
CANNOT remember anything except: spaghetti, roast beef potatoes and gravy,
macaroni goulash, liver and onions on Friday, meatloaf, deviled eggs,
brownies, cottage cheese and peaches, open a can of green beans and peas.
I don't recall buying anything frozen at all except Sara Lee's pecan
coffee cake; all I remember buying 'in-a-box' was a pizza kit, and
pillsbury biscuits in a can. I don't recall buying very many fresh
vegetables until I moved to California in 1964.I'm thrilled I've lived so long as to experience some different foods.
Dee DeeI don't know why, but your choice of the word "thrilled" seems funny at the
moment. :-)
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.