Road Cycling · Public discussion

Over the Hill Gang - Streaking

Started by Badger_South · · Last activity · 11 posts · 784 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
21 April 2004
Last activity
22 April 2004
Original author
Badger_South
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
784
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What does it take for the older biker to ride everyday?

    Biking to work - obviously the best way, since you have to rely on the bike
    to get to work, but how about the weekends, holidays?

    Find your daily optimum - not too much mileage that you can't do the same
    workout or more the next day.

    Find your emotional optimum - almost a bigger hurdle than conditioning is
    the mental aspect. How not to get 'stale'. Gotta keep the mileage
    reasonable.

    Keep the injuries low - another big 'streak stopper' is getting injured.
    Good rest, good nutrition might be key.

    Goal setting - Be careful of setting too tough a goal, or too short term.
    Think in terms of 6 months, but have a goal - maybe an easy race, but
    keeping in the middle of the pack.

    Rehabbing an nagging injury. One thing that can motivate is if you hve a
    slight injury and need to rehab and build muscle; alternately, rehabbing
    being overweight. Checking the mirror/bathroom scale everyday can help get
    you out on the bike.

    Having an alternate for bad weather. Obviously one needs to be prepared to
    layer and garb up for rain and cold weather, but it's helpful to have a set
    of rollers or at least a stationary bike for fall back if you just can't
    get outside due to weather.

    Logging your progress. Keeping that log is one thing that got me out there
    on days when I didn't much 'feel like it'.

    Deciding to bike. Keep the 'decision' to bike set _after_ you've started
    the ride. IOW, put on your biking gear as a ritual, and say 'I'm not
    feeling that great, but I'll gear up and get on the bike, and if I don't
    feel that great, I'll do half the route'. Usually after you get out there,
    the fatigue or bad feel goes and you have a pretty good ride.

    A fighting attitude. Even if you have some negative emotional or physical
    situation, you have to have an 'attitude' - nothing is gonna keep me from
    doing my streak, dammit!

    Well that's what's gotten me throught the last 8-9 months, and I hope, will
    keep me going.

    Any others that have helped you?

    -B

  2. Quoted message said:

    What does it take for the older biker to ride everyday?

    Why do you apply this to the "older" rider, as if it has no meaning to a
    "younger" rider?

    I fail to understand why we must discriminate a difference between an older
    rider (whatever that is) and what works for a younger rider.

    What's up?

    A rider who is 64. Am I "older?". For that matter, everyone who is more than
    a minute old is "older" than someone else. Perhaps you meant to apply your
    rules to everyone? Hope so!

    I have gotten through the last 6 years of biking by simply enjoying biking. As
    simple as that.

    Didn't take any special rules at all.

    http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
    (Colorado rental condo)

    http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
    (Family Web Page)

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    ....

    Quoted message said:

    Deciding to bike. Keep the 'decision' to bike set _after_ you've started
    the ride. IOW, put on your biking gear as a ritual, and say 'I'm not
    feeling that great, but I'll gear up and get on the bike, and if I don't
    feel that great, I'll do half the route'. Usually after you get out there,
    the fatigue or bad feel goes and you have a pretty good ride.

    This, plus the _knowledge_ that even if I don't feel great before the
    ride, I usually feel better once I get going.

    Quoted message said:

    A fighting attitude. Even if you have some negative emotional or physical
    situation, you have to have an 'attitude' - nothing is gonna keep me from
    doing my streak, dammit!

    This would be a major contributor, if I had a streak to continue <GGG>.

    .....

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    newsgroups if possible).

  4. On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:20:17 -0400, David Kerber

    ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net said:
    Quoted message said:

    A fighting attitude. Even if you have some negative emotional or physical
    situation, you have to have an 'attitude' - nothing is gonna keep me from
    doing my streak, dammit!

    This would be a major contributor, if I had a streak to continue <GGG>.

    Neither of you should be doing any streaking. There may well be
    nobody in this newsfroup who should.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:20:17 -0400, David Kerber

    ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net said:
    Quoted message said:

    A fighting attitude. Even if you have some negative emotional or physical
    situation, you have to have an 'attitude' - nothing is gonna keep me from
    doing my streak, dammit!

    This would be a major contributor, if I had a streak to continue <GGG>.

    Neither of you should be doing any streaking. There may well be
    nobody in this newsfroup who should.

    Claire, maybe...

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Rick Onanian

    --
    Dave Kerber
    Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

    REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

  6. Rick Onanian said:

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:20:17 -0400, David Kerber

    ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net said:
    Quoted message said:

    A fighting attitude. Even if you have some negative emotional or physical
    situation, you have to have an 'attitude' - nothing is gonna keep me from
    doing my streak, dammit!

    This would be a major contributor, if I had a streak to continue <GGG>.

    Neither of you should be doing any streaking. There may well be
    nobody in this newsfroup who should.

    Me? I'm just talking about coloring my hair. ;-p

    -B

  7. "Rick Onanian" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:20:17 -0400, David Kerber

    ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net said:
    Quoted message said:

    A fighting attitude. Even if you have some negative emotional or


    physical

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    situation, you have to have an 'attitude' - nothing is gonna keep me


    from

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    doing my streak, dammit!

    This would be a major contributor, if I had a streak to continue <GGG>.

    Neither of you should be doing any streaking. There may well be
    nobody in this newsfroup who should.

    I was once cited for "Nude On Beach", but I wasn't streaking at the time.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com
    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  8. Rick Onanian said:

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:20:17 -0400, David Kerber

    ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net said:
    Quoted message said:

    A fighting attitude. Even if you have some negative emotional or
    physical situation, you have to have an 'attitude' - nothing is gonna
    keep me from doing my streak, dammit!

    This would be a major contributor, if I had a streak to continue <GGG>.

    Neither of you should be doing any streaking. There may well be
    nobody in this newsfroup who should.

    Why do you say that? This is a cycling newsgroup, probably a lot of people
    here are in pretty good shape.

    Hangin' out at Wreck Beach as much as possible,

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
    are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.


  9. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Neither of you should be doing any streaking. There may well be
    nobody in this newsfroup who should.

    I was once cited for "Nude On Beach", but I wasn't streaking at the time.

    There is discussion of this May's NYC critical mass, being a critical Ass!

    http://www.bikecult.com/works/events/critass403.html

  10. Badger_South said:


    A fighting attitude. Even if you have some negative emotional or physical
    situation, you have to have an 'attitude' - nothing is gonna keep me from
    doing my streak, dammit!

    http://www.ciclonudista.net

    Chalo Colina

  11. On 21 Apr 2004 21:08:14 -0700, [email hidden] (Chalo) wrote
    in message <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.ciclonudista.net

    Bags I don't clean the saddles afterwards...

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.