General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Overnight trips in the Lake District.

Started by Michael Hobby · · Last activity · 6 posts · 607 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
23 May 2004
Last activity
25 May 2004
Original author
Michael Hobby
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
607
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've just returned from an enjoyable three days in the Lakes
    when I walked from Old Dungeon Ghyll to Wasdale Head,
    Rosthwaite and back to ODG via Langstrath and Stake Pass.

    What concerns me, however, is that despite many others
    probably wanting to leave the car somewhere(other than in
    the flesh pots of Ambleside etc) and do similar multi-day
    circuits the authorities (National Trust etc) are now
    banning overnight parking in their car parks in places like
    Langdale. I intend to take this up with the bureaucracies
    involved but does anyone else know what they(the
    bureaucrats) expect people to do in such circumstances?

  2. Michael Hobby said:

    I've just returned from an enjoyable three days in the
    Lakes when I walked from Old Dungeon Ghyll to Wasdale
    Head, Rosthwaite and back to ODG via Langstrath and
    Stake Pass.

    What concerns me, however, is that despite many others
    probably wanting to leave the car somewhere(other than in
    the flesh pots of Ambleside etc) and do similar multi-day
    circuits the authorities (National Trust etc) are now
    banning overnight parking in their car parks in places
    like Langdale. I intend to take this up with the
    bureaucracies involved but does anyone else know what
    they(the bureaucrats) expect people to do in such
    circumstances?

    Last year I did a 4-day circuit based on Buttermere. The
    warden at the National Park car park in Buttermere (not
    the NT one on the outskirts) was not only happy for the
    car to be left, he let us park next to his hut so he could
    keep an eye on it and also took a note of our itinerary
    and planned return time. It still cost £3 a day but worth
    it for peace of mind.
    --
    Dave

  3. Michael Hobby said:

    I've just returned from an enjoyable three days in the
    Lakes when I walked from Old Dungeon Ghyll to Wasdale
    Head, Rosthwaite and back to ODG via Langstrath and
    Stake Pass.

    What concerns me, however, is that despite many others
    probably wanting to leave the car somewhere(other than in
    the flesh pots of Ambleside etc) and do similar multi-day
    circuits the authorities (National Trust etc) are now
    banning overnight parking in their car parks in places
    like Langdale. I intend to take this up with the
    bureaucracies involved but does anyone else know what
    they(the bureaucrats) expect people to do in such
    circumstances?


    There's a good bus service from Ambleside to ODG. Tony

  4. You could try asking at the Langdale NT campsite - they
    may let you leave your car there, for a small fee of
    course . . . .

    --
    Peace !

    Steve Wilcox

    "If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

    [email hidden]

    "Michael Hobby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've just returned from an enjoyable three days in the Lakes when I walked
    from Old Dungeon Ghyll to Wasdale Head, Rosthwaite and back to ODG via
    Langstrath and Stake Pass.

    What concerns me, however, is that despite many others probably wanting to
    leave the car somewhere(other than in the flesh pots of Ambleside etc) and
    do similar multi-day circuits the authorities (National Trust etc) are now
    banning overnight parking in their car parks in places like Langdale. I
    intend to take this up with the bureaucracies involved but does anyone


    else

    Quoted message said:

    know what they(the bureaucrats) expect people to do in such circumstances?

  5. I know, but I prefer to have the convenience of access from and to my own
    transport at the beginning/end of the trip without recourse to public
    transport.
    "Tony Walsh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Michael Hobby said:

    I've just returned from an enjoyable three days in the
    Lakes when I


    walked

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    from Old Dungeon Ghyll to Wasdale Head, Rosthwaite and
    back to ODG via Langstrath and Stake Pass.

    What concerns me, however, is that despite many others
    probably wanting


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    leave the car somewhere(other than in the flesh pots of
    Ambleside etc)


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    do similar multi-day circuits the authorities (National
    Trust etc) are


    now

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    banning overnight parking in their car parks in places
    like Langdale. I intend to take this up with the
    bureaucracies involved but does anyone


    else

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    know what they(the bureaucrats) expect people to do
    in such


    circumstances?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:



    There's a good bus service from Ambleside to ODG. Tony

  6. Quoted message said:

    You could try asking at the Langdale NT campsite - they
    may let you leave your car there, for a small fee of
    course . . . .

    I have left a car at Langdale camp site though I think I
    paid to camp (its a while a go) I seem to remember that I
    half-changed my mind and took the tent with me to give me
    the option to wild camp which I did, after carting it up, I
    wasnt going to cart it down, without using it.

    also used the Wasdale site, camped one night and paid the
    car fee only for the second night.

    so I think they are happy for you to park if you pay the
    overnight car fee.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.